1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which TV antenna booster?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Win, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Win

Win Contributing Member

Like many, I have kicked my cable to the curb but would like to be able to pick up local TV.... I'm in a somewhat rural area, and with regular rabbit ears can only pick up 2 stations. On a good day I can barely pick up a couple more. So, I've been looking at antenna signal boosters. I was just going to get one of the 24 or 36 db gain control boosters and then I noticed indoor antenna with built in signal boosters with the same db at the same or a slightly less cost. I would just get the antenna with built in booster but wonder if maybe the stand alone boosters would some how be superior? Any suggestions? And no, an outside or roof antenna is not an option.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just buy one of those cheap black square antennas on amazon - works well. They do make outdoor models for rural areas, but they are not much better than the cheap ones.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The first step should be to use this website to determine what channels are available in your area and what kind of antenna you need to buy

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna

Based on discrete mud flap antenna designed for the U.S. Military
    Reversible and paintable to match decor
    30 mile range

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wonder what would happen if you spliced like 5 of those things together...

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Where are you located and how many channels do you get? I get ABC, NBC, FOX, CBS, TBS, UNVISION, Some other spanish channel, KERA, a couple of home shopping channels and COZI all in HD from the coax cable through the wall. No external antenna needed.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Katy area. It's about 50 channels. I was considering cutting cable so I bought the antenna but ended up keeping cable, at least for another year until the bugs are worked out of sling TV.

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

We have a Mohu Leaf, amplified version. Works pretty well. I think Amazon has a clone they sell as well.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

This is the best place to start.

It's been a while since I looked at the site but it still provides the best info you need to determine the type/size of the antenna you should be looking for.

One thing I remember from my days of searching is that higher price does not mean better performance. I ended up with an inexpensive $15 Radio Shack antenna that outperformed a $50 Terk.

11. body slam

body slam Member