1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is Sam Dekker Really Better Than Corey Brewer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jun 26, 2015.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

It looks like Darryl Morey is parting ways with Corey Brewer or possibly, although less likely, Trevor Ariza. Losing either, IMO, is a huge mistake. I'm still highly irritated that we -- the Rockets -- passed up Jerian Grant, Tyrus Jones or even Delon Wright. The logic absolutely escapes me.

Fortunately, there are already other threads about the pick wasted on the tiny PF rather than a backup center we could have stashed in Europe or with the Vipers.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

IF there are other threads then why start this one?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't see why this pick means we're getting rid of Corey Brewer.

He also strikes me as a much better half court player.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

I am laughing so hard at everyone who wanted to draft a PG

a rookie PG does NOTHING for the current Rockets we are in win now mode, we cant afford to wait 3-4 years for a PG to develop.

Some of you know nothing

5. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Dekker replaces KJ McDaniels.

Harrell replaces Dorsey (or possibly a traded T Jones).

What's the problem? These picks don't prevent us from re-signing guys, and these unproven rookies certainly aren't being penciled into the line-up yet. Get a grip on reality.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Of course not. Brewer is going to be re-signed. Dekker is going to the D-league.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Please explain. I do not follow.

Dekker will take someone's roster spot from last year. Not sure who that will be.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey has proven over and over again that just because he drafts a guy who plays a certain position, it doesn't mean that he will not retain other players who play at that position. He has never worried about position duplication, especially with rookies since that we don't know whether they'd be ready to contribute anyway.

For all we know, Sam Dekker, Montrezl Harrell or whatever other players Morey could have drafted in their place will spend most or even all of next season down in RGV playing for the Mexican Snake Team.

In fact, there is no guarantee that Dekker or Harrell actually are on the Rockets past this summer-- may well be traded in Morey's pursuit for a veteran player.

1 person likes this.
  9. Mr. Clutch

He can play the 4

10. Airdough

Airdough Member

This just gives the Rockets flexibility since both Brewer and KJ can leave without anything coming in return. Something I am interested in, versus Ariza being sent back in a sign and trade, can Brewer be sent back in a double sign and trade? I don't think KJ can due to his restricted status but Brewer should be eligible for a double sign and trade. The big item there would be if the Rockets could aggregate other salary with him to make a larger deal work if say there was mutual interest between him and Portland.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well he's a rookie so he's unlikely to be a better player next year. Long term I like him better because he's more likely to be an average to above average shooter than Brewer is.

Now with all that said, I don't expect Brewer back but it isn't because of this pick. I just think Brewer is going to want a multi-year deal for a decent amount of money and I don't think Morey is going to commit to him for multiple years.

12. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

The offseason is only beginning. I have a feeling this will be a wild one. The Rockets are always in talks with big names and always strike out (besides Dwight). This year they are quiet, I feel as if Morey has something up his sleeve.

13. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Had you read more carefully, you would have noticed that I was referring to the pick wasted on our newest tiny PF, Montrezl Harrell.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

so can Montrezl Harrell.

15. Mr. Clutch

Monty can also play C

16. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

OP, I don't see how you inferred all of that from the pick. Dekker is probably going to be D-League bound, and he probably won't contribute at all until next year. The Rockets always draft BPA because they're well-aware of how to sell players to other teams as commodities that fill a need.

The Rockets draft played out exactly like I thought it would. They tried to trade the pick. They tried getting a second pick that they could package for a veteran. In either of these scenarios they would've been picking for the team receiving the pick. It appears that neither occurred, so they drafted BPA. I expect the FO to make a play at either Aldridge or Love (I prefer Aldridge for various reasons), and if they strike out, I would anticipate our picks being showcased in the Summer League and for the FO to try and make a move similar to the moves that netted us Ron Artest.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I don't know why so many people think Brewer is going to be re-signed. He will be offered a larger deal for another team and his production is easily replaceable.

18. Mr. Clutch

We have his bird rights, so we can go over the cap to keep him

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Brewer will destroy or chances of signing a big name next season if we give him what he wants and thats a long term deal starting at about 8 mil.

20. Ariza4MVP

Ariza4MVP Member

Knew this would come up. Morey drafts BPA, not for need. Not saying brewer is coming back, just don't think this pick has any impact on that.