1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Predicting 2015 first round draft flops

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2015.

1. basketballholic

1. Devin Booker - he'll be a lottery pick. But he's slightly undersized, slow, and not nearly athletic enough to be great. He'll wind up being like Mike Dunleavy/AnthonyMorrow, etc. A good to great one-dimensional spot-up shooter.

2. Sam Dekkar - nice kid. Probably going to go lottery. No great NBA skill. He's a scrapper. Will probably have a long enough career scrapping for a multiplicity of NBA teams off their bench. Maybe an occasional starter. Nothing more.

3. Rondae Hollis-Jefferson - another great athlete that just doesn't know how to play the game of basketball.

4. RJ Hunter - I like the kid but he's just too slow-footed and weak and his release is too low and not quick enough. He'll last a few seasons on a rookie contract and underperform.

5. Montrezl Harrell - Just another lackluster power forward in a sea of power forwards. He'll make a few $$$ and wind up out of the league in a relative short period of time.

6. Kelly Oubre - underperformed in college. Has all the talent in the world. Don't think he'll harness it long-term. Think he gets drafted high, gets his rookie deal and then slops through his career constantly underachieving.

7. Guillermo Hernangomez - meh. Just another big lug. Nothing special. 23" standing vertical and 25.5" max vertical means he's essentially ground-bound. Just another dime-a-dozen backup big. (I wouldn't take this guy in the first round no matter what team I was drafting for.)

8. Chris McCullough - 6'9" 199 lb, power forward with motor issues. And he's fixing to get drafted in the first round to play with the real big boys. R U Kidding me? #flop

9. Christian Wood - another young teenager, underdeveloped power forward weighing the grand sum of 216 lbs. At best he's a 3-4 year project. And there just ain't a lot of room in the league for project. Somebody will probably draft him in the first round because he's almost 7 feet tall and long and skinny. #flop

=============================================

For added good measure here's you some projected second round flops:

1. Harrison boys - both of them - not good enough, don't have the right attitude or mentality, won't make it. Draftexpress has us projected to take Andrew Harrison at #32. Will never happen.

2. Nikola Milutinov - not good enough, a big man that constantly gets beat by better bigs in Europe

3. Jordan Mickey - another undersized, underskilled big

4. Dakari Johnson - another ground-bound big lug with a very limited skill set.

5. Cliff Alexander - blew off his freshman season at KU. Has personal problems. And is an undersized power post big.

6. Michael Qualls - probably the best athlete in the draft. Almost James White athletic. And about the same basketball processing ability as James White. Can't think. Can only run out and play. #flop

This might not be all the flops. These are the guys I've looked at and decided that they won't amount to anything long-term in the NBA. There's undoubtedly more.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Calling anyone in a draft whose not a top 5 picks a flop?

Come on.

Almost none of those players you mentioned are even projected to be a top 10 pick.

Your chance of getting a good player decrease dramatically after the first 6-8 picks.

However, being said that, you are totally wrong about RJ Hunter, this guy could be one of the best shooters in the NBA for the next decade.

3. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Clint Capela.

4. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Are you bobbythegreat?

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It is known.

6. basketballholic

Yes, he could be. But I'm saying he won't be.

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I don't think that Kaminsky guy will make it. Good shooter so he has a chance but he will need to bulk up. IMO he isn't going to be able to score on folks in the NBA like he did in college. He may be a bench player but that is his ceiling IMO.

I agree with Dekker off of the list. Don't think he will make it at all.

8. malakas

malakas Member

Yeah to be a bust you should be drafted at least top20.
    But for the shake of this thread.
    Oubre will never get it. Tyus jones will be out of the league in 6 years tops. Wcs will be a bust for being drafted top5 and will always be just a role player. Neither hunter nor booker will be anything special. Turner will never fix his walking probem and Looney will be a huge bust. Mudiay will be better than Russel.

This thread will be probably be bumped in a couple of years and I will be wrong in all of them lol.

9. malakas

malakas Member

Forgot to mention the biggest bust of them all. Porginzis.

10. basketballholic

I didn't say "bust". I said "flop". A flop is a player that underperforms their draft status and winds up being a middling NBA player.

The idea of this thread is to shed light on a bunch of guys that are going to become multi-millionaires at the end of the month but do not have the skill level to earn it.

Instead of debating over the meaning of flop, just post your list of flops.

11. malakas

malakas Member

Isnt my list good enough?? I included 1/3 of the top 15. Lol And you cant even be a flop in the second round. Most never even come over.

12. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

It's a very good list with a lot of thought behind it. I'm going to add Justice Winslow, who people are projecting as if 2 inches taller and with a better shot and handle than he actually has. Stanley Johnson will be at least twice the player Winslow will be, Winslow a 6th man, at best, on a decent squad.

13. basketballholic

Wow. That's strong and you'll probably stand alone on it.

I do have questions about Winslow's size. It appears to me right now that he's best suited to play SG as opposed to SF. But I can't call him a flop at this point. I see qualities I really like especially defensively and his handle breaking down other wings. But I do have lingering question marks about his size.

I've got Stanley Johnson on my questionable list. Not sold that he's going to be great. Think he'll probably wind up having a similar career to Tony Allen with the emphasis being on the defensive side.

14. basketballholic

After watching extensive video off RJ Hunter, I'm changing my mind about him. His release isn't low. It's quick. I'm taking him off the flop list. I'm not sold on him. But he has an elite NBA skill, the #1 skill that a player needs if he is just going to have one skill. I am not longer convinced he's a flop. And if we move #32 up to a first rounder, I'd be intrigued with drafting him.

Another player I am coming off of as far as being a flop is Jordan Mickey. He is an elite rebounder. I think he's got a chance.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Jahlil Okafor

16. PointZero

PointZero Member

Tyus Jones = Bobby Hurley/Jordan Farmar.

Like Bobby Hurley from Duke, Tyus is another NCAA tournament darling who won't translate to the NBA.

17. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Haha Sam Decker, Chris Mcullough and Christian Wood are my three favorite

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I prefer debating over the meaning of flop.

I think your meaning is wrong. I think flop... and think bust. While I recognize bust is an even stronger flop, i still view flop on the bust spectrum.

You still project a lot of your guys as flops to have decent NBA careers. Which is the exact opposite of a flop.

I'm also not sure you recognize the true actual probabilistic result from draft picks. Here's a study for example: http://www.82games.com/nbadraftpicks.htm

Note how only picks 1-5 are "supposed" to get you a star.
    Picks 6-10 get you a solid player, a long-time starter if you will.
    Picks 11 and on gets you role players at best.

There are a ton of other articles and research on expected value by draft pick slot that all say similar things.

Your thread isn't about flops, it's about second tier and below players you think won't be good.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

His thread is about him, predicting the unpredictable, making assertions with risk, discounting a human beings dreams and hard work, from Youtube videos.

20. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

Interesting list. I'm not sure how Devin Booker is slightly undersized for a SG at 6'6 and slow if he posted the best lane agility and shuttle run times at the combine.

To be fair, Hurley was in a near fatal car accident his rookie season and wasn't really the same player afterwards.