1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any truth to the speculation that KJ was brought in to replace Ariza?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, May 29, 2015.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I remember reading somewhere, perhaps here, that KJ may have been brought in to replace Ariza.

Since Ariza is going to have to be traded to make max space (should Morey go that route) , the thinking is KJ can mimic Ariza's defense and will probably be half as cheap.

Is this fluff? I'm not sure how I'd feel about it, especially considering Ariza is a vet that's needed on a team like this.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

If we trade Ariza (the best wing defender on a team that just got burnt for not having enough elite wing defenders) than I am DONE following this regime.

Furthermore, how are Rockets going to convince any super role player to sign here in the future if they are dealt after a year.

We need too add Ariza level defense at PG (with someone who can create and not have many TO's) and at PF. Terrence Jones & maybe Josh Smith are probably gone.

Aside from that a backup C who can control the paint and rebound. 17 Warrior offensive rebounds in a game is pathetic.

PG
    PF
    Backup C

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but would we really be getting better value? With the cap rising soon, KJ will probably get a 5 or 6 million dollar offer from somewhere else. Trevor makes 8 I believe.

While I could see KJ becoming a lock down defender, he isn't there just yet between the ears. Also, Morey expected Trevor to be 40% 3 point shooter this season based on his past two seasons in Was. KJ will probably never be that, and it's very likely he won't even hit 30% in the next year or two. Rockets really rely on Trevor's 3 ball. Rockets are 15-3 when Trevor makes half his 3's.

I really don't know why we traded for him, so what do I know. If anything, I could see Brewer replacing Ariza and KJ being the backup.

4. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

No he was brought here for injury insurance just like Prigioni, lucky for use we didn't need to used him, while Prig was giving the opportunity. And he is young so they can take a look at him, but he can me just another Terrence Williams low risk project easy to dump if it doesn't work.

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

uhh wow what a stupid move. unless we get a 3rd star we keep ariza no matter what. just speculation nothing else. anyone who paid attention to rockets knows ariza is a huge part of the team. i think his rs shooting numbers were a fluke. he's playign 40mpg here, that should go down next season.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i'm sure if we need to trade ariza to land a star, then we will match any decent offers for KJ.

if we dont land a star, we will keep ariza and most likely KJ walks.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I have never heard anything about him being Ariza insurance but I have heard on multiple occasions that he could be Brewer insurance since Brew is a free agent this summer.

8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

KJ is brewer insurance.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I'm assuming the only way we trade Ariza is if it's part of a package for a 3rd star.

KJ was likely brought in because he's a nice prospect who can get on the court quickly (so i thought) because of his defensive skills. I doubt Morey thinks KJ is an Ariza replacement; they're different kind of players. Also, we don't know what we have in KJ yet.

10. RESINator

RESINator Member

We need Ariza's defense. There is no way he is getting traded. Fk Morey if it ever comes to that.

11. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Ariza is one of the best values in the league at the 3 and is still in his prime. This team proved they can win it all and the hole is at the pg. There is no telling that KJ can do what Ariza can do and next year could be the last chance because of Dwight's contract.

Movement is going to come from TJ and the PG spot.

12. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

KJ is a backup 2 that should have given Harden some rest. The guy is 6'6".

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

KJ was brought in because he can play defense. Rockets want to put him through their 3 point training to see if he can become a 3 and D player.

14. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Any truth to the rumour Capela was brought in to replace Dwight?

So done with this team if true. :mad:

15. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Only stupid guys would think KJ may have been brought in to replace Ariza!
    But there is a possibility that KJ may have been brought in to replace Corey Brower

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Hey is there truth to the rumor that bringing in a good player means we're getting rid of another good player?

17. OpenLayup-Why3?

Is he supposed to be our starter next year when he didn't even play this year. Ofcourse he wasn't brought here as Ariza's replacement

18. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

We got what we could when we had to trade Canaan.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Ariza's contract is front loaded so he only gets cheaper. With the looming cap spike also coming up, I don't see a reason to trade him. Also, KJ is nowhere close to ready to take Ariza's spot.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yes he is