1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwyane Wade open to leaving Heat

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 28, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Heat and Dwyane Wade have been discussing potential resolutions of his contract situation and there’s a significant difference in what both parties believe he should be paid for the next three seasons, according to multiple sources.

Though Wade prefers to stay with the Heat, where he has spent his entire 12-year career, he is now open to leaving if the Heat does not raise its offer, according to two sources with direct knowledge.

Last summer, in order to give the Heat flexibility to augment its roster, Wade opted out of the final two years of a contract that would have paid him $41.6 million. He instead accepted a two-year, $31 million deal, which included a player option for next season at $16.1 million.

Wade said last summer that he was curious to see what he could command in the summer of 2016, when the cap is expected to skyrocket from $67 million to $89 million. That led to the belief that Wade would opt-in this summer.

But according to associates, Wade wants to opt out this summer, with the hope that the Heat would give him a lucrative three-year deal that would extend past his 36th birthday.

That does not appear to be the Heat’s preference. The Heat apparently would be content with Wade opting in for next season, then re-signing for good, but not huge, money for another two seasons after that.

Regardless of whether Wade opts out or not, there is believed to be a sizable gap between what Wade would like over the next three seasons and what the Heat would prefer to pay him. Asked about that gap, agent Henry Thomas declined to comment. So did the Heat and Wade.

What’s more, Chris Bosh’s Heat contract averages $23.6 million per season and Goran Dragic (if he resigns with Miami) could be making as much as much as $21.8 million annually. And keep in the mind that the Lakers paid Kobe Bryant $30.4 million and $23.5 million the past two seasons and will pay him $25 million this coming season.

But here’s the conundrum from the Heat’s perspective: Say, hypothetically, the Heat gives Wade $20 million instead of, say $10 million, in both 2016-17 and 2017-18.

If Dragic re-signs and if Hassan Whiteside commands a huge contract from Miami as an unrestricted free agent next summer, the Heat could be paying more than $80 million to four players in 2016-17. Throw in the $5.8 million due Josh McRoberts in 2016-17, and that would leave the Heat with no room under an $89 million cap to address small forward or bolster its bench.

There’s also the delicate matter of Wade’s injuries. He missed 20 games last season after sitting out 13 and 28 the previous two. In a news conference after the season, Heat president Pat Riley emphasized the importance of Wade being available.

The Heat expects Wade to return for a 13th season with Miami. Kentucky guard Devin Booker, a strong candidate for the Heat’s selection with the 10th pick in the draft, said Riley told him that “D-Wade is getting older now, is on the last part of his career, and come and learn from him.”

Associates aren’t sure what will happen and would not be shocked if Wade leaves. With the history of success together and everything Wade and the Heat have invested in each other, it’s difficult to fathom Wade finishing his career elsewhere. But Wade staying can no longer be assured.

The chances of Dragic signing elsewhere increase if Wade leaves.

Wade said last month that the roster needs augmenting and “I have my own ideas but it’s not my job to say what areas need to be addressed. Our organization is going to address the areas that need to be. Obviously, it’s not enough [on the roster] because we’re sitting where we are right now.

“You want to always add to make sure you complement those players with other players around them. I know one thing about the Heat organization. We’re not going to just sit around and hope. We’re going to try to figure out to make sure we can be as competitive an organization as we became accustomed to.”

Wade is keeping himself in excellent shape. He announced on Instagram on Wednesday that he has completed a 30-day diet and has dropped his weight from 228.2 to 216.5.

"I now know what I need to do to lose the weight I want when I want,” he posted. “Now that my 30 days are over I must maintain this level of eating and make it a [lifestyle (with] some cheat days).”

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...aving-heat-if-it-doesn.html#storylink=addthis

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Negotiating tactics.

I don't believe this ish one bit

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Riles won't make the same mistake the Lakers did with Kobe. Count on that.

I doubt Wade leaves the Heat. I bet he opts in and they reach an agreement in 2016.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

idontbelieveyou_ronburgandy.gif

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, how much does Wade get offered if he is a free agent this summer?

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Two of the dumbest franchises in the NBA, Knicks and Lakers, have a ton of cap space.

Everyone is getting the max.

7. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'm Ron Burgundy?

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Yes please. Imagine a team with Wade and Harden, that would be sick AF.

9. malakas

malakas Member

So Wade wants the Kobe treatment??
    Only the Knicks and Lakers would offer someone his age that much money . Riley is one of the best GMs.

I think that's all smokescreens from Wade's agent to blackmail the Heat into paying him more dough. I will be really shocked if he leaves.

10. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

If he does, Bosh gonna be so sad..

Sad in all that money

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You almost feel bad for Wade.
    Almost...

I remember last year the Wade opt out to resign for less, and it seemed clear Lebron had to be staying, with all three willing to forego some money for a better team. I mean, he HAD to have talked to Lebron first, right?

Then Lebron leaves, Bosh gets WAY overpaid, and they trade for a Goran Dragic looking to get paid.

Meanwhile Wade's been the model player, is clearly the most important player in heat history, is the reason they have any rings, much less 3.

Sure, I get it. Giving Wade a Kobe-like deal, even if nowhere near that level, would handcuff the Heat even more. But man... what a way to treat your all time franchise player.

The Bosh signing was the beginning of the end for them. I like Bosh, and the heart thing or whatever it is can't be factored in... but even without that, Chris Bosh is GUARANTEED $22+ million a year for the next 4 years. even in a world where the cap increases crazily in 16/17, that's ludicrous.

12. lalala902102001

Wade can always go join his buddy Lebron in Cleveland and win another title or three.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If Hakeem can do it, so can Wade. Honestly, Miami would be better off in the long-run if he were to go. Wade needs to move on from being franchise player to being the veteran assassin, the second creator behind some other franchise guy. But, that role doesn't get paid nearly as much.

14. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I believe the Cavs will have the cap space. That Brandan Haywood contract would help them create some space.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

IF wade leaves, I hope we get dibs on Bosh or Dragic...dare I say..both?

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

17. Asian Sensation

I think Matt Maloney's contract finally comes off the books in the summer of 2016. We'll have plenty of room to sign Wade.

1 person likes this.
  18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Watch him go to Cleveland... :)

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Wade's knees are near jelly status.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wade''s agent, &quot;He's had a tremendous career [with the Heat] and we're just trying to see whether or not there's room to continue that.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/604061317884964864">May 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wade's agent, Henry Thomas, &quot;My sense at this point is it's relatively early, and we'll continue to talk about it.&quot;</p>&mdash; Ira Winderman (@IraHeatBeat) <a href="https://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat/status/604061957210148864">May 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>