1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is Clint Capela's trade value?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rileydog, May 28, 2015.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Relative to the 2014 draft, I think Capella is in the top five range. I'm assuming most GMs would still rather have Wiggins, Parker and Embiid. Beyond that, you have Exum, Payton, Nurkic, Saric... I'm not sure GMs would want any of them over the raw talent and flashes that Capella has shown in real NBA games and hotly contested playoff games.

In the 2015 draft, you have the two bigs as the consensus 1-2 picks. There is some quality behind them and I could see Capella rating in the 5 to 10 range.

But that's just me. What do you guys think regarding how Capella might be valued by GMs. I ask for the obvious reason - it takes something to get something. I think Dmo and Capella are our most valuable trade chips and I don't see Dmo going anywhere. His post skills, flashes of 3 Point shooting and ability to move his feet on defense are highly valuable and he still has plenty of upside at age 24.

Could Capella be a centerpiece in dealing for Lowry? Would Lowry be good enough to put this team over the top? I'd target Lowry because his game fits what we do, because he plays both ends, and because he is the Ariza kind of bulldog we need in closing lineups.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Capella's value is a late first.

No way is he in the top 10 in this draft.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Why in the world would you want to trade Capella? For a PG? Dude you can find a good PG without giving up a kid who showed a ton of promise in the scarce time he was given. Hell, the touch he showed at the line after looking completely inept there shows he's already working on his game. His length and ability to finish is what this team needs in the paint.

4. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

5. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

Capella is the answer at backup C. Why go back to Joey Dorsey?

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No, you need keep him since Howard is 30 year old, going to be an average player soon.

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

No way he's a late first, i would say 8th to 13th type a pick. CC is still young with pretty good potential IMO. Also if you have listened to his interview couple of months ago, he seems to have good understanding of the game.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You are crazy.

Most players in the draft lose value much like a brand new car after being drafted.

Capella is nothing more than an athletic big who can finish.

Can't shoot, can't move anyone in the paint.

I am not saying to give up on him, but plenty of players are big and athletic.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Not much right now. Why trade him? He is in his rookie contract and showed glimpses of promises. Keep him until the end of the rookie contract.

10. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Last offseason, Morey was not willing to go "all in" with Chandler Parsons and match Cubans offer because he correctly felt that that would not be enough to put us over the top.

This offseason, Morey will have to ask himself the same question. Except this time, the team made it to the WCF. If Morey thinks that getting a Lowry is enough to push us over the top, you absolutely deal Capela and worry about backup later.

1 person likes this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yea but Lowry isnt coming here around a Capela as the centerpiece of the deal you'd have to bust up alot of the players here to make money work. He just signed a big extension there. I like Lowry, he's a good player, but you can find an equivalent value very much in the same way that Ariza was found. Its easier to find guards with skill than it is to find bigs with skill.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Zero, as he does not exist.

Capela, on the other hand, has decent trade value I would think.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

He has more value than Jones and less value than DMo.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good one.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

He is not going anywhere.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

A early second, maybe a late first.

He's still ridiculously raw so the only position he can play is center without clogging the paint as a PF, but he's way too skinny to even try to hold his own in the paint at C. He must either add a jump shot and become a PF, or bulk up big and stay at C. Right now he's neither and isn't really that serviceable of a rotational player on a playoff caliber team.

Of course his problems are easy problems to fix within time, and once they are fixed he has the potential to be a starting center it seems. But as for now, he's a prospect and is only worth a early second, late first at best.

17. basketballholic

I would gladly trade Capela for a top 20 pick in this draft or a future draft. And I'd really consider trading him for a first round pick period right now. I said when he was drafted that he was a pile-o-poo. And I'm not exactly coming off that assessment at this point. IMO, he looked very good for us late in the year because of a couple reasons:

1. We were so depleted with bigs with Dwight/Terrence/DMo being hurt so much and Dorsey sucking sooooo baaaaadly that when Capela got in there he was a sight for sore eyes. And of course everybody likes a long, lean, jumping machine in the middle.

2. All he had to do offensively was kinda set a pick sometimes and catch the alley-oop. Doing this mostly against other team's backup bigs has a tendency to make a player look better than he really is.

I think it's a mistake to go into next season counting on Capela as the answer backing up Dwight. In fact, I think it's foolish.

And I seriously doubt Capela's trade value will ever be greater in terms of future draft picks than it is right now. If I could get a top 20 pick in this year's draft I'd trade him today and not look back. Then I'd try to see how high up I could get in this draft with that pick, #18, and #32.

I'm all for continuing to pump this kid as the second coming, raving about his potential, and then moving him for a decent first-round draft pick.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Can you name the plenty of others that you mention? Young, athletic big men?

Don't worry. I will wait.

Big men are hard to come by. They seem to be busts more often than other positions- we still don't know anything about Embiid.

I wouldn't trade Capela unless it was necessary for a very good deal. He looks promising. Obviously young and needs to improve in several areas, but he already looks like he could be a capable backup C at worst, if not a good starter in a couple of years.

1 person likes this.
  19. photojoe

photojoe Member

It's funny. In this very long-winded, wordy post, I disagree with almost all of it.

3 people like this.
  20. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

I wouldn't trade this guy, especially because of a guy like Dwight. Capela allows us to rest Dwight during the regular season while sinoukyanesouky giving capela good experience. The only main weakness I can see in his game is getting out rebounding because of his slight frame, but that is something that can be remedied