1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do we fix the PG postion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by slickricky, May 28, 2015.

1. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

Everyone agrees that we need someone to help Harden initiate the offense. Someone to take pressure off him who can create a shot for himself and others. This Free Agent class however is loaded with front court players and limited on PGs. The best available PG is Goran dragic and he has already turned us down. Next up would be Brandon knight and Reggie Jackson who are both restricted free agents who look to be staying with their teams. The PGs who are next up are all about the caliber or Bev.

I believe the only option is run with Bev or go all out for Ty Lawson

If we run with Bev we have to fix the PF spot with either Love or LMA

I prefer to pick up Lawson rather then gut our whole squad for one of those two PFs

Both our picks (our first and second rounder) TJ, PAPA, and Nick Johnson get it done I believe.

We then resign Bev to back him up and bring back Smtih and Brewer if possible

With a healthy squad I believe we would be able to take on anyone

Howard/Capella
    DMO/Smith
    Ariza/Brewer
    Harden/Terry
    Lawson/Beverly

That first and second unit can hang with anyone

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Explore trades for Jrue Holiday, George Hill, Kyle Lowry, Ty Lawson to replace Bev as starter (in that order)

Explore trades or signings of Greivis Vasquez, Mo Williams to work with/backup Bev (in that order)

That's a list of 6 names that could potentially be available that you have enough to acquire that would make us dramatically better overall at the position.

My least favorite name on the list is actually Lawson personally.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Option 1 : Trade for Lowry.
    Option 2: Hope that he has a change of heart and create an SnT involving Beverly or clear cap to sign Dragic.
    Option 3: Hope for a change of heart in Espana. Sergio Llull comes over.
    Option 4: Attempt to trade for Lawson
    Option 5: Resign Bev, bring in another PG to create competition (Vasquez?)
    Option 6: Stand pat.

4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry will never play for Morey. The hate is too great. We can probably add Dragic to that list.

5. justtxyank

Where does this come from? Lowry has talked about having a good relationship with Morey. He used to talk stats with him.

His bad relationship was with McHale and he's since blamed himself for it and said he wishes he could do it over.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Some don't like playing rookies early but they can draft a good PG who is ready (I like Grant at the position the Rockets pick) and can shoot.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I hope you are correct, and I am not. I could have sworn that Lowry was very unhappy when Morey traded him.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we get a pure PG that takes care of the ball, plays serviceable defense, and can shoot the 3.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Do the Heat have anything we have...for Napier??

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

I hope Option 6 means resigning the free agents. Not much to be excited about Prigioni and Nick Johnson as the PGs.

11. justtxyank

Nope, Lowry wanted out. You are mixing Lowry and Kevin Martin. I don't know if Martin HATES Morey, but he probably wouldn't pull over if he saw him stranded on the side of the road. Lowry loved Morey and sighted him as a big reason for him getting better. He loved Morey's stats, shot charts, etc.

He clashed HARD with McHale and wanted out. He later said it was his fault, he realized how good of a coach McHale was and wished he could go back to play for him again/do it over.

If he hated Morey he wouldn't have given Morey the first meeting in free agency. The only reason he isn't back here is because Morey waited on Bosh (which was the right move) instead of committing to Lowry on day 1 of free agency.

12. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

you cant fix it. just get a very good shooter.

13. ibm

ibm Member

rondo for cheap? am i the only who is thinking it may be another option?

14. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I thought that the only real "clash" Lowry had with McHale was that he had to backup Dragic after he returned from injury. Lowry thought he should start, and he wasn't quiet about it.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

In order of best options:

1) Trade for a veteran PG. And by "veteran", I don't mean another 37 year-old. If Lawson, Collison, or Lowry can be had and it doesn't require gutting the team, GO GET THEM!!!

2) Draft a PG. I'm not sure who would be available at #18, but odds are it wouldn't be someone who could start on opening night. I suppose the Rockets could package future picks along with the #18(and maybe T-Jones and/or other expendable players) and try to move up, but again, would that be someone who could start right away? And would you wanna rest your title hopes on a rookie PG? Odds are if we go the drafting route, it's for a backup, not a starter.

3) Re-sign Bev and Terry. This is last resort territory we're talking about. But if Morey looks high and low and can't find anyone in free agency, on the trading block, or in the draft who he thinks is good enough to start alongside Harden, then roll with what you have, and just try to fill out the roster with a couple of reliable 3-point marksmen. If we can't get a 2nd playmaker, at least make damn sure we've got enough shooters.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Lowry really tanked the second half of the season.

I'd prefer Lawson.

17. rocketmc

rocketmc Member

if you get a pure point guard, what will harden do? Stare at the ball all the time?

18. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Great then we'll have another sub 50% FT shooter.

We need a specific trainer dedicated to consulting these guys how to shoot proper free throws. It's unreal that we had guys missing two every trip to the line. Hell even Harden missed 3 last night due to whatever reason.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Morey gave Lowry his first chance to actually play in the NBA. Before, he was with the Grizzlies who drafted him then drafted and named Conley a year later. Lowry barely got any time with the Grizzlies so when he got traded to Houston, he was elated.

Lowry's main problem here seemed to be with McHale but both sides made up and Lowry admits that he would have liked to "redo" that relationship.

I don't think Lowry is attainable unless Lowry ask to be traded or the Raptors are going to do a rebuild. Even then, I'm not sure what we can offer the Raptors other than the NOP pick, Papa and Jones. Capela is probably our biggest "asset" and I do not want to give him up.

Dragic may be a little peeved at Morey but he loves McHale or he has claimed. To be honest, I don't want Dragic as much as I did at the trade deadline, especially if Dragic is expecting to be paid ~20MM per year.

Rockets will try to get Lawson but I don't see what we can offer them. Just like the Lowry situations, we have pieces but unless we give up Capela, it probably won't be enough.

Jrue Holiday is not going anywhere since the Pelicans gave up the 4th pick (Noel) to get him just 2 years ago.

Point guards that I like and I think we can snag pretty easily are Vazquez and Jarrett Jack.

Sign Bev to be the pseudo-starter and have Jack as the real 6th man. Find some shooters (Dudley, Mike Dunleavy, etc) Resign Smith for cheap, Let go of Brewer because he cannot shoot, and sign and develop McDaniels (Much more defensive potential than Brewer) and develop Capela (maybe sign another big center, just in case). Offseason done.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

george hill