1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The nicest thing I will say about the Warriors - they NAILED the 09-13 drafts

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by glimmertwins, May 26, 2015.

1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....so I'm little sad Bill Simmons is gone from ESPN at such a key point when I wanted to hear from one of the network's biggest basketball fans(even if I rarely agree with Simmons) and I decided to look through some old articles and stumbled upon this little draft tidbit between Ford and Simmons:

http://grantland.com/features/ford-vs-simmons/

First off - the part about Morey is hilarious in hindsight. Secondly, I started wondering "why" we didn't draft Green when as Ford notes, Green was the ultimate stats value prospect. The Rockets didn't get to trade up and had to use all three of those picks(one of them ended up getting us Harden btw - no complaints there). So I'm looking back at who Golden State has drafted and it's crazy how well they played their draft picks from 09-13. Look at this list:

2009 Draft - Curry drafted 7. Pretty much no one better slipped by(Lawson, Holiday, DeRozan, Teague all drafted later)
    2010 Draft - Ekpe Udoh drafted 6 - not a great pick, but Paul George was the only impactful player drafted lower.
    2011 Draft - Klay Thompson drafted 11. Jimmy Butler and Kawhi Leonard drafted lower but Klay is on the same level overall.
    2012 Draft - Harrison Barnes drafted 7, Festus Ezili drafted 30, Draymond Green drafted 35. There really wasn't anybody who was a difference maker out there after 7 between Barnes and Green. Barnes is a solid player and Green is really good. Ezili is a solid backup Center which is about all you can ask for with the 30th pick.
    2013 Draft - traded out. Draft by all accounts was terrible.

....I'm just saying in the massive Golden State love fest which I'm completely sick of (I actually liked old baby ankle Curry before ESPN started FORCING me to like him - I hate front runners), the one story I haven't really heard reported about this team is just how well they have drafted in the last 6 years. With respect to when they picked, I think they drafted just as well as OKC did. While you could argue OKC drafted better, they also had the benefit of better picks owed to their tanking strategy. Anyway, Kudos to Golden State for pretty much nailing every pick. In that way, they are almost the exact opposite of Houston who tried to build through trades and FA signing - and here they both are facing each other in the WC Finals.

2. Panda23

Panda23 Member

**** the warriors

3. Mr Chuck Norris

Agreed

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think we can all agree with this but let's give credit where credit is due - you know, something the rest of the sports world won't give Houston.

daywalker02 likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

The nicest thing I can say about the Warriors is that they all suck

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Hey

**** the warriors

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i would have not thought there would be a way for me to pull for lebron in the finals but this team came along.

i dont dislike them because they seem like bad people. i just dislike them because they seem so smug.

so i guess if the cavs and warriors both make the finals it will be a win for me no matter what. either lebron loses 5 out of 7 finals or the warriors lose.

Rocket_Man_2.0 likes this.
  8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

9. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I feel you. I dislike them because they feel they earned the right to be that smug while the rest of the league was virtually decimated with injuries to it's best players while the Warriors magically mostly remained healthy which gave them an advantage both in personnel and in continuity with it's roster. That's what is missing from the narrative on Golden State. Meanwhile Houston had somewhere around 973 unique starting lineups this year because of injuries.

10. dream2franchise

Fk them Warriors.

[​IMG]

11. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

No one can ever beat OKC '07-'09. Durant. Westbrook. Harden.

12. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

I'm just here to say **** the Warriors.

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

F**K THE WARRIORS!!!!!

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Not sure how one can count Durant in there. Durant basically fell in their lap. They did what every other team would have done at the 2 spot and that's take KD.
    Now if they were #1 and took KD then I'd give them more credit.

15. tochiee22

tochiee22 Contributing Member

Too bad that team is gonna get broken up super fast. Harden traded Westbrook Leaving in free agency and Durant forces a trade to Houston for Johnson Capella Dorsey and 50k in cash

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Shocked at how dead on Chad Ford was about Draymond Green. Except he's better than that.

To the OP's point - that is really impressive. Definitely nailed the draft. Crazy to think Green was the third pick they took that year. He's better than the other two by a long shot.

17. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Rockets traded up to 12 to get Jeremy Lamb

18. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

19. Rox11

Rox11 Member

We look very immature to outsiders, respect guys....

20. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Interesting point and clearly we should, f**k the outsiders and f**k the warrios!!!