1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More Nick Johnson....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by beardsanity713, May 22, 2015.

1. beardsanity713

i was ecstatic to see Nick Johnson in the game...
    i believe he can be an x factor guarding curry off those screens..
    he is quicker & better equipped at getting around those screens...
    He did miss his chance to earn more time by not hitting that 3 he attempted. ..
    but Mchale definitely surprised me by putting him in...
    I really think he can help the cause bc im sure he can do 10x better than terry who is awful & useless when his 3 isn't falling

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

you mean Dick Johnson

3. Rock3t Man

Rock3t Man Contributing Member

I love the idea of playing our rookies, but this moment is too big for nick. He missed a fast break lob to Capela

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

Joey Dorsey, Kostas Papanikolau, Nick Johnson, Clint Capela. One is trash, other is unappreciated and forgotten Euro, two are rookies. What do these 4 players have in common? They all played more in the playoffs than DMO.
    I really want to think McHale is progressing as a coach and he learned from his mistake of not playing DMO for a single second in last year's playoffs, now giving time even for the rookies and unworthy, when DMO was neither of that last year.
    My point is, I still hold grudge, but I like this turn of events. Maybe next step for McHale is to get rid of "not playing rookies" in regular season.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Uhhhh.... Not currently up to date with recent events are you?

D-Mo had back surgery a few weeks ago.... BACK SURGERY. If he was healthy he'd be playing I can guarantee that.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You do realize DMo is out injured, right? He is not expected back until later this summer.

DD

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What is the proper measure of appreciation for a 30% shooting turnover machine like Papanikolau?

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

Me so sorry, English me no 1st language. Me mean these 4 has more playoffs experience than DMO.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Captain Nick should shake Curry's hand every game....lol

10. ibm

ibm Member

was prigs that bad that mchale got mad at him and rather playing nj? i know prigs missed a few defensive assignments on curry, but still.

11. OpenLayup-Why3?

Is Johnson, Pap, Dorsey better than DMO was last year? My point is DMO didn't get a second of playing time last year, these guys did this year. Blowout or no blowout, DMO didn't play even when Houston was blown out last year.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Which blowout was that? The Rockets lost by 1, 2, 3, and 7, and won by 5 and 10.

13. beardsanity713

as much as i criticize mchale i have actually seen him make adjustments this post season...i thought it was a great idea trapping curry sometimes off those screens...
    Great for mchale he is making some progress in his coaching ability
    Nick Johnson im tellin yall can be a factor just decrease terry's minutes...
    i also like the no pg lineup with Harden Brew & Ariza

14. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

a few? He missed like 4 in a row that gave up 12 points to Curry

15. dobro1229

Edit: Misunderstood your point. See post below.

#15 dobro1229, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He's trying to criticize McHale for not playing Dmo last year.

17. ibm

ibm Member

well, isnt 4 "a few"? i mean it wasnt like terry was better. and some of them had to do w/ moving screens. if the refs werent calling those, sometimes there's not much you could do.

maybe mchale was mad at the mistakes and just wanted to test nj out. nj didnt show anything meaningful and missed an open 3 as well. i dont think he will see much minutes again.

what puzzled me is josh smith gets so many chances after making mistakes that are as bad as prigs, but prigs never saw the floor last night in the 2nd half. to me that's a little too much by mchale. brewer is a lot more athletic, but he gambles way too much on defense.

18. dobro1229

ahh... ok.

Well the fact is 2014 D-Mo was a completely different player than 2015 D-Mo. D-Mo really regressed that season down the stretch as did Jones. Maybe he should have played those two minutes against Portland, but the fact is they sure didn't earn it.

People just never seem to be able to put the Portland series behind them. Its time to move on folks.

19. beardsanity713

agreed but i think the reason for no prigs in 2nd half was that Harden Brew backcourt played alot so that Brew could guard curry & Ariza on thompson....Brew does gamble too much..

20. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Heck, both Johnson and Capela could do a better job than Terry...just a tough a tough matchup for Jason but Capela and Johnson can at least stay in front of Curry. Why we don't have KJ chasing peeps around is beyond me