1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How to Beat the Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 19, 2015.

1. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1) Play Capela more - One of Howard or Capela must be in the game at all times. They'll shut down the paint and we can avoid giving up easy plays on back door screens. As we have seen tonight, Capela can also guard the perimeter extremely well.

2) Stop posting Dwight - We all know this. Howard avg less than 1 point per possession. His offensive IQ is also in the bottom 20%. It's also easy to "annoy" him and get him out of rhythm.

3) More pick and rolls - This is our bread and butter. We should run this to death. Both Howard and Capela are amazing in these situations.

4) Attack away from Draymond Green - We simply aren't efficient when we do this. He is the best post defender in the NBA. He can block shots and plays tremendous positional defense as well. It's just a bad strategy to go at him.

5) Box out - This is probably the easiest to do, yet we don't do this enough. Terrence Jones and Corey Brewer missed box outs multiple times tonight, leading to easy tip ins or offensive rebounds.

6) Let them play one on one (except Curry) - Switch everything, and basically, invite them to post up Green or whoever. This didn't work with Griffin because he's an offensive superstar. There is no one on GS with good post up games. This is also better than giving Curry shots.

7) Do not match their small line-up - This is the worst thing that we can do. Our strength is Howard + Capela. Their "small" line-up is elite on both offense and defense. It's just not wise to let them have this advantage.

2 people like this.
  2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

8) McHale needs to know when to call time outs to slow the tempo. Against the Warriors, that's pretty crucial.

3. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

TJ play better would help. Dude is so weak.

4. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I thought prigioni should have seen more time

5. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Wow that simple huh? You should've emailed the league in October maybe they wouldn't have won 67 games

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm on board. But #5 is physically impossible.
    We've seen all season that asking Terrence Jones to box out is like picking up a rock and asking it to be a diamond.

7. YallMean

YallMean Member

Dwight not healthy was huge. We could have easily won this one had we kept playing like we did in the first qtr. We lost an anchor in Dwight.

Hope he will be ready on Thurs

8. conquistador#11

make your free throws. i'm scared something as basic as that will haunt us.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Either give Terrence Jones a testicular transplant, or sit him. If he's going to play like a *****, then he can't take up valuable minutes.

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Why don't you give us your solution instead of being a smart ass? Or better yet learn how to read.

I'm just trying to post what I saw and what we can hopefully fix. Never said it would be easy.

11. Blurr#7

Score more points than them. Bam! I should start a thread right?

12. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

double team lock Curyy and let Klay Thompson shot all he wants.

13. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Dude, grow up. Quit trying to be a smart ass in this thread. I only posted so we can discuss the strategies of beating the Warriors. Can we please get back on topic?

14. Blurr#7

The solution I gave is 100% effective, just saying.

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm not sure why we didn't play Capela more when he was doing so well. I felt like Capela was anchoring the defense while making correct rolls to the basket. Also, he has better hands than Smith.

Yeah, he was horrible tonight. I'm not sure if he's just scared of the moment.

I have basically given up on them improving at this point. If Capela can shoot 55-60%, then I think it's okay to leave him in the game. Howard and Smith....I just have no faith in either of them.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

Great thoughts, agree that matching them on small ball is silly. Our clear advantage is our size beats theirs. Not as true if Dwight's out..

17. YallMean

YallMean Member

Check JR's post in the game thread, Dwight's knees might be an issue on Thurs. Sigh.

18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Good post M&M, agrea on all points but would say #8 should be rolling up on Curry's leg but that would be unsportsmanlike :grin:

Really proud of the fight put up tonight, we just dont have the shooters they do but I'm looking for GS to have fat heads and we can pull one out Thursday

19. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

He said it wasn't anything "major"....and that it was only a bruise? I'm not sure if I saw everything on there, but those were the last few tweets out.

I think this means that he needs some rest and may not be as mobile.

20. YallMean

YallMean Member

Here is a serious thought for game 2

Baby Seal needs to start a "Rockets in 6 or ban me" thread.