1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Adjustments - knowing roles

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, May 5, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ok, it is clear the Rockets need to make major adjustments in playing the Clippers. Normally we have a huge advantage with our bigs, athletically and skill wise, this is not the case here.

The Clips are equal at Center and way better at PF. And because they are so big at center - it cuts off our one huge advantage in Harden who likes to drive.

So, what will McHale and the Rockets do? Here are a few suggestions.

1. Invert the offense, if the Clippers are going to insist on covering Harden with stick people like Redick and Barnes, then put James and his big ole rump on the low block and post him up. Move Dwight out of the paint to the FT line and let James go to work, if DJ crashes to block the shot Dwight trails him for the alley oop pass.

2. Play TJ and JSmoov together more - same scenario, but let them pop that midrange FT line jumper if Jordan crashes, let them shoot that 15 foot jimmy.

3. Play Pablo more - he is the best PG on the team at protecting the ball, move James off the ball, he is not as good of a passer as some think, look at his assist to turnover ratio, same for Smoov - get the ball in someone's hands that values it and let them initiate or move the ball, get guys moving off the ball Smoov, Jones or Ariza on the wing making the entry pass to Harden in the post.

4. Ask Harden to please play within 2 feet of his man on defense - just stand there, and guard him - tell him to stop watching the ball - if he does it, yank him out and let him think about it on the bench.

5. Post DHo up when Jordan is out of the game, if Jordan is in, PnR or Harden post up, nothing else.

6. STOP THE EARLY OFFENSE 3s by guys who are bad shooters - protect the ball and play your role.

That is it, if the Rockets protect the ball, and stay within themselves they have a shot to get back into it, if not, it will be a short series for us.

My .02

DD

1 person likes this.
  2. Play07

Play07 Member

2. will always hunt us, every time is harden is double and throws that lil pocket pass off a pick the player just runs in the lane. MAN I WISH WE HAD A PF THAT WOULD MAKE TEAMS DEFENSE PAY AND SHOOT THAT JUMPER. "see gasol last night"

3. Play07

Play07 Member

these coaches aren't doing nothing special its just about having guys that can knock down shots off p&r in playoffs

4. rocketsmetalspd

Very good points DD. I hope some changes are made tomorrow or like you say this will be a short series but the Rockets are built on taking 3s, layups, and getting to the line FTs. The mid range game is not part of it but that is what is needed in this series.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

Adjustment - take care of the ball. None of those fancy behind the back passes. They are lucky it was even close as careless as they were.

Adjustment - stay focused on defense. Limit the wide-open threes and uncontested lay-ups

6. OpenLayup-Why3?

I want to see Pop play rotation minutes. Kid got heart and experience in big games.

7. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

hosuton thus far in the playoffs have played hard defence but not smart defence minus dwight, theirs no changing our defence now, it is what it is and no speech from Mchale or post about playing smarter etc will do anything to change it.

our offence is baised on randomness and hoping the 3 point ball goes in.

we basically just have to pray the 3 ball goes in 4 times in the next 6 games and this is against a better offensive team than us.

8. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Harden just needs to play like the best player on the court and the rest will follow

9. OpenLayup-Why3?

God no. Harden already plays like he's the best... too good for defense etc etc. He needs to play like he needs to prove he's the best, he needs to play with hunger.

1 person likes this.
  10. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

The turnovers were a BIG issue. If they cut those in half we would have been in the game until the end. I wasn't impressed by the Clippers last night, Griffin was Griffin and he will have his, but the Rockets just shot themselves in the foot and this time it was on the players, not blaming McHale for this one. I felt for Howard because you could tell he played hard and looked really disappointed in the end, which means he gave a damn.

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This is exactly why the Rockets miss DMo...If DMo was on the block, it would allow for Dwight to contest a weak side rebound with Jordan.

Therefore plan B should be...

Post JAMES HARDEN more.

By allowing James Harden to play with his back to the basket with whom ever is guarding him, there is a higher likelyhood that Doc will have to double Harden(he has the skill to beat anyone 1-1)...This could set up better counter options (ie. Lob's/driving lanes or open three's).

Right now the Clippers are: 1. running the Rockets off the 3/contesting it well, and forcing the Rockets to beat them with the one thing they hate the most: the Mid range jumper. Getting to the rim is easier said than done especially with DeAndre patrolling the paint...but if action is created opposite of the strong side defense, the Rockets could hurt the Clips.

Also the Rockets must try exploiting Blake's Defense. Blake is a liability for the Clips, but its masked by DeAndre's presence. Forcing Blake to guard will tire him out and subsequently yield flatter jump shots...

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Coach McHale today:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ETShkg-65fY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Realize that the Refs are allowing hacking . .. . . to an extent
    Start being more aggressive on both ends
    Since they can put hands on us .. . put hands on them

I like Capela's energy . . . .Dwight needs to back and bully people down like Griff did
    just mow their asses over . . .
    Harden should do the same

Simply . . TAKE CARE OF THE D*MN BALL

Rocket River

14. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Some of your suggestions will never be remedied by this coaching staff, especially the early shot clock threes and the transition threes (we did 3 in a row at one point).Also shooting threes when there's nobody there to rebound, just stop it already! Too bad we have guys with low IQ and when even Terry starts doing that ****, you know something's up. Just take it to the hole, how ****ing hard is it?

A coach who does not hold his players accountable is the biggest issue this team has. We simply do not learn from our mistakes it seems, I don't know what they did the last 7 days, but it surely was not watching film and taking notes. These are things we can change and should though:

1) Have Josh Smith in the post and not allow him to ****ing yell at Prigioni to get the ball and refusing to do what Prigioni wants him to do. The PG calls the plays, not ****ing Josh Smith!! This is about knowing your roles more than anything.

2) Play inside the **** out! Howard has proven he can take on the responsiblity of punishing the opponent every single game. Last night, I don't know how many mistatches he had where we just did not get him the ball because of our horrible post entry passing and perimeter oriented approach. We need to at Griffin as well with TJ & Josh, the guy could just rest on defense.

3) Get back in transition and crash the freaking boards on offense.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Any other suggestions?

DD

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Put howard on griffin.

It's not like deandre jordan is going to go for 50 on jones or smith. People act like jordan is kareem. come on wake up.

Jordan has pretty much no game except dunks. Sure it's a rebounding issue but you cut off griffin which is a bigger concern. Griffin is a hot head and howard is the perfect guy to take him out of his game.

Let austin rivers think he is the man and give him looks. He sucks and is a good guy to bait.

I would consider putting in papanikolau.

Apart from that I would look to slow it down a bit. With guys like barnes, griffin, rivers we are talking mentally weak. Rattle them and we are good.

If CP3 plays that's fine put brewer or ariza on him.

We beat ourselves with TO. That was really the key. I know TOs is something that might be hard to cut down but surely it won't be as bad as game 1. New rule - no more cross court passes.

17. dream2franchise

Putting Howard on Griffin could work, but if Griffin wants to take a 15-18 footer doesn't that put DJ in prime position for the offensive rebound? Just a thought, but you're right in that DJ isn't going looking to score on anyone 1v1.

Otherwise I've got nothing. Erm...play harder! Attacking from the elbow was instrumental against Tyson Chandler, and if anything DJ loves a big block more than Tyson does. Have to look to get some offense from there.

A take care of the ball!

18. dream2franchise

Also, my league pass stream only had one working camera angle but it allowed me to see Dwight get open a fair bit and he wasn't getting the ball. The effort he puts into getting position should be rewarded sometimes.

Dude was getting hammered off the ball down there, too.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

run pick and roll harden howard EVERY play.

Abuse it. To the point that everyone and their grandma knows we are going to run it.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

I will criticize, so assume I more or less agree on the other things.

Um, what? What evidence are you looking at for this conclusion?

Quite frankly, the Clippers do not have a good defense for a playoff team. It is embarrassing that Harden doesn't play well against them. Many other wing players have field days.

Give the player who is struggling more minutes, over a franchise center, whom has been (arguably) our most consistent player (again) this postseason? Unless there is another possibility I am missing here.

Contradicts point 2. How can one get more minutes, but then have Dwight post up backups?