1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something Fixable: TOs and Transition D (pt off of TOs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, May 5, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Clippers scored 34 points off of turnovers.

Our transition D was horrible last night. We kept trying to pick up the dribbler early and strip the ball or stop them (sometimes we did, so we kept trying), but that is not good transition D.

It's always best to get back. We failed to do that over and over.

But that is fixable.,,,and it also starts with protecting the ball. 23 TOs can't happen again.

Another fixable thing is exploiting the defense that Jordan is playing on Howard, but that requires us to get into the lane. Clippers are showing way too much to Harden, just like the Mavs did in Game 1. But Clips used Jordan better than Carlisle used Chandler.

Here's to hoping we can make the fixable adjustments without the Clips getting better to counter it. Yes, yes,,,,I know Paul didn't play, but he isn't god. Clips have lost many playoff series with him in the lineup...it's not like the Clips will do everything right each game and add Paul to that with no drop off in other areas.

2 people like this.
  2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That should have been fixed after game 3 against Dallas. It wasn't.

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

How much do the Rockets care about fixing it, though?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Fixable as a brain and heart transplant.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is there a place where we can find transition defense stats?

I know our turnover has been bad all season. We ranked 28th.

6. hooroo

hooroo Member

Transition D has been bad for a long while now. Does it appearance coincide with Josh Smith's rise in his role on the team?

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We wouldn't have to worry about transition D if we weren't constantly trying to score before the shot clock reaches 20.

Slow it down on offense, walk the ball up the court every now and then and the turnovers will automatically be cut in half (at least).

This helter skelter offense works great against weak teams during the regular season. Against good teams in the playoffs? Not so much.

8. heypartner

I don't know. Fastbreak pts and transition defense are not really defined clearly. Fastbreak pts are too restrictive by boxscore measures and time clock measures. Most coaches define it simply has defense before you get set....and conversely, offense before the defense is set. Do any sites that use the camera data track it like that?

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

The Rockets can't change their style of playing. This is their strength as well as their weakness. However the turnover rate can be cut down.

10. ima_drummer2k

I know. This is why I don't think we can win this series.

11. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

We can and will win the series. They were very rusty last night. No rhythm and timing was off. Trying to do too much at times and that led to TOs. Those things will be fixed tomorrow. I'm sure this was a wake up call to all of them and they will show up to prove it tomorrow and the rest of this series.

You could see the bad matchups the clippers had once Griffin and Jordan went out and instead of us goin in the paint, we were still trying to find the outside shots to get the 3s going to catch up quickly. Gotta dump it inside and let Howard work. Harden cant let Reddick and Barnes guard him so I expect close to 30 from him tomorrow night.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Losing the ball wont be as big of a deal if the Rockets find ways to get stops on the other end. I have come to expect that TO's is part of this team's identity for the season. They have avg'd ridiculously high number of turnovers the entire season. But they have created their fair share thereby negating some of those careless decisions.

13. basketballholic

No team plays good transition D. The best way to improve transition D is transition O.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We've been complaining about the transition D for 6 straight games now.
    Naturally even a 3v3 break, offense will have the advantage but damn we don't contest at all. Everyone who has bothered to run back just runs straight to the paint. Not giving a care in the world about the two shooters running to the opposite corners.

15. heypartner

Guys...here are the TO stats of the Mavs Series...

Game 1 = 11 and 118 pts
    Game 2 = 11 and 111 pts
    Game 3 = 14 and 130 pts
    Game 4 = 10 and 109 pts
    Game 5 = 21 and 103 pts

That's a very good 11.9 TO%

And those were high scoring games. We all know the Rockets are a high TO team, but not last series. That's why I'm saying that this is fixable. It was like the Rockets got off to an early lead and tried to step on the gas and hit the curb.

Maybe they were overconfident with Paul out, so they thought they could run them off the court in the first half (and they were for awhile) but instead had 7 TOs in the first Q, several in Transition,,,which are huge TOs.

Who the Rockets are is a team who can lower their TOs like in the Mavs series and still score a buttload of points. Getting back on transition D is very fixable, too.

GO ROCKETS!

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, every team has 'one of those days'. As the regular season proved, we aren't a team that has long stretches of awesomeness, but then again, we rarely had a streak of bad games in a row either.
    We tended to be a team that was 'on' more often than 'off', but when off, looked horrible. No doubts we CAN win on the road, I feel like LA is not an overly terrifying environment.

Take care of business next game up, then split in LA, and we are back in the box seat. Playoffs are hard for a reason, bad games happen.

17. dmoneybangbang

We are okay. We got punched in the mouth and didn't recover in game 1, weren't mentally ready it seems. I think this series is in our favor the longer we can drag it out.

Blake Griffin is one of the top playoff performers so far, how long will he be able to keep that up at this pace?

Lastly, Griffin is very underrated as the Clipper held when CP was out for an extended time.

18. dmoneybangbang

We generally follow a poor performance with a good one.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I said more than half of the TOs are, in tennis term, unforced error. EVERY single one of those can be eliminated with just proper focus.

On transition D, every single one of those can be improved with just proper focus.

Rant here... the most frustrating play, even with all the TOs, was when Harden loses Redick in the 3rd quarter in transition. Redick was a basic 0 up to that point due to great defense from Ariza. As soon as he made that wide open 3, there was a feeling that he finally got it going... and sure enough, flood gate open after that.

20. ima_drummer2k

Good point. Like I said earlier, if we cut the stupid turnovers, the transition D will take care of itself. Meaning, we won't have to play it as often.

I still maintain we don't have to push the ball up quickly on every single possession. If we get a good defensive stop and grab the rebound, walk it up the court every now and then. Use some clock if we have a lead.