1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hit some damn free throws!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 28, 2015.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I swear if we can hit some free throws we re go to the championship.. Aargh!

1 person likes this.
  2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

settle down pirate.

DudeWah and Tha_Dude like this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Not until I gets me booty!

Tha_Dude likes this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

make sure you eat an orange first so you can keep your wang up.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Moreys analytics didnt account for the hack a strategy.

6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The entire front line sucks at FTs and we expect them to magically fix it in the playoffs?

Keep dreaming.

IMO, Carlisle has been pretty mild about it.

Wait till Popvich gets a hold of this Rockets team.

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

delete.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Each game will last 5 hours each.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Glad we hit a few key free throws down the stretch. I was pulling my hair out on some of those bricks that were being heaved up from the line.

Seriously though I find it sad how bad free throw shooting is on this team. These guys are pros and if they want to be champions doing the off season they should be working on free throw shooting. You always hear about great players improving aspects of their game each off season yet rarely does that seem to be free throw shooting when that is a very important part of the game.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Dwight with the clutch frees! But if we could've hit just 10 more out of the 60 we would be blowing them out.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

If Smith and Howard didn't shoot about 10 percentage points worse than they did during the season this series we'd be a lot better off.

12. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Very true.

13. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

FT% is becoming troubling

We are now the worst at .665! This game should never have been this close and a respectable team should not be this bad at FT shooting. It could cost a game or even the series, think about that for second...We are lucky the Clippers are just above us at .673. That's as a team so it's not just DJ and Josh / Dwight. If we advance and face the Warriors, they are 12th but the Grizzlies are #1!

14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I don't think it is a matter of if but a matter of when bad free throw shooting will cost us a game. It very easily could've cost us last night.

15. SemisolidSnake

I feel like the Rockets should watch tape of OTHER teams instead of themselves to see what works for those guys. For example, Griffin's a big guy and he has a weird free throw shot, but one of the sensible things about it is that he gets hands in the same position every time before he flicks the ball in. He gets his hands high, also, to take advantage of him being closer to the basket as a tall guy, so the ball doesn't have to fly as far. Some of the free throws Dwight was taking last night were shot from his chest. Of course, he's going to struggle.

We need SOMEBODY solely to work with these guys on free throws. We need a free throw coach and a guards coach, because these guys are young and quite capable of learning or relearning things.. Personally, I think unless their FT% isn't at least 70%, they should be forbidden from taking threes. It's absurd to practice long shots like that and still suck at the most fundamental shot in the game.

16. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

We are who we thought we were.

Also Lasik plz.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Howard 8-21
    Harden 15-15

18. YallMean

YallMean Member

Indeed, very very very very frustrating. You see Jordan step up making the FTs. We are missing the chippies left and right. Com'on, more than anything else, I am really frustrated with our missing FTs.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm reviving this thread because free throw shooting is one of those things that is going to give me a heart attack. We've got Onuaku who has raised his free throw % by shooting underhanded and people are arguing he shouldn't do it because it doesn't look good.

You know what else doesn't look good? Watching guys paid millions clanking free throws repeatedly when the game is on he line.

I wish Onuaku had been on the team two years ago and gotten Dwight and Josh Smith to do this and we might've gone to the championship.

DudeWah likes this.
  20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Who argues he shouldn't do it?

Tha_Dude likes this.