1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Older Rockets fans how memorable has this season been?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Apr 3, 2015.

1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

How has this season shaped up compared to years past? Just want to gauge how crazy this season has been for older fans?

1 person likes this.
  2. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Uh, what's an "older fan"? I'm 37 and have been following the team since 1992. Do I qualify?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honestly, it has been strange.

When Hakeem was in his prime it was frustrating at times, but you knew come playoff time they would be a tough out.

This team has been probably the most resilient I have ever seen with all the injuries and they keep on winning.

That being said, one year Dream went down and the team won 15 straight without him which was the genesis of the first championship run the next year.

The difference with this team though, is I have NO IDEA what to expect come playoff time.

I could see this team out in the first round, or even winning it all - you just don't have a great feel one way or the other.

So for me, enjoying it, and cautiously optimistic.

DD

2 people like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As someone who gets extremely superstitious at this time of year, all I can say is I haven't been this careful with answering questions like yours in a looooong time...since Hakeem and Summit in the '90s

GO ROCKETS

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Well I'm about to be thirty. I remember the first two championships.

This season has been very memorable. Mostly because of harden.

6. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I don't remember...

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Basically old enough to have experienced the peak years of Rockets basketball.

8. Nook

Nook Member

This is the first time in 20 years where I am confident the Rockets have the singular superstar player usually needed to win a title. This team is not as good as those Olajuwon championship seasons or even the first year of Barkley. However I get the feeling that if the Rockets are blessed with few injuries, this could be the beginning of a very good 2-3 year run. The luck and brilliance of solving scoring issues by getting transition players like Brewer/Smith/Ariza have taken this team to another level. Howard/Jones/DMO have the potential to wear out teams inside. Ultimately I think this team loses a close series in round 2 or possibly in the Western Conference Finals. This off season will be huge as we will be even better if we some how keep Smith and Brewer... We will address point guard and other beneficial deals will be made.

Mostly I feel confident that without bad luck with injuries this team should be pretty good for awhile and that is all you can count on.

9. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I've seen Rockets teams fade down the stretch and lose key seeding repeatedly over the past 15 seasons, so I'm waiting to see how things pan out over the next few weeks and of course the playoffs before judging this season. But Harden is definitely the best leader the Rockets have had since Hakeem - not as talented as McGrady, but better leader and better head on his shoulders.

10. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

The regular season truly does not matter and as this team has had no past playoff success, they need to show me something in the playoffs before I can take them seriously. James Harden? The truth is he disappeared in the playoffs last year so he needs to show me he can be the kind of team leader that raises his level of play in the post season. One similarity this team "might" have to the rockets championship teams is some moxy in their supporting cast. Still, I fear a first round matchup with a past proven San Antonio team. While another year older, teams like the Spurs and Grizzlies have shown me something in the playoffs in the past. Teams like Houston, Clippers, even the top seeded Warriors, not so much. Portland is young, but their two stars definitely raised their level of play in their first post season a year ago and have potential to be taken seriously. I love the Rockets, and hope they show me they have that It-factor that the Hakeem championship teams certainly had whether they were seeded #2 or #6. Like I said the regular season does not matter.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm 32, and vividly remember the championship years. For me, this has been about as fun as watching the first year of Yao and T-Mac, and the 1997 team with Barkley. The common theme is the sheer potential, and resilience I'm seeing in this year's team. When you add to it the fact that Harden is having an individual season only matched by Hakeem in Rockets history, and I'd say this is about as much fun as I've had being a fan in a long time.

12. davidghall

davidghall Member

I think this team has playoff type players on the roster much like the championship years, and very much unlike the last couple of seasons.

I think Brewer, Terry, Smith, and Ariza are 4 tough sobs that will excel when the playoffs start, and we didn't have any of them on the roster last year. Just my opinion, but I thought we were too mentally/physically soft last year with guys like Lin and Parsons.

FWIW...I don't feel like DMo has what it takes to be a win at all costs playoff player (hope I'm wrong), but I think he may see a reduced role if we advance far enough and McHale goes to an 8 man rotation. I really like some of DMos skills, but you simply CANNOT stand around at the 3 point line as the opposition gets offensive rebound after offensive rebound. Especially in the playoffs.

My only concerns are...I don't feel that McHale is a big game coach and will lose an otherwise even series, and I think Hardens ability to get to the line will really decrease dramatically in the playoffs. Otherwise..I'm very excited about the rest of the season, and will cheer these guys on no matter what.

13. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Anything over 30 shouldnt count. They become delusional.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I've been following since '90.

This season has been great. Rockets don't normally win this many games or finish this high (knock on wood). Having a potential MVP is great as well, plus they way we've fought through injuries. I'd say only '94 and Barkley's first year were better regular seasons. Winning 15 in a row to start '94 was unbelievable and the Big 3's first year we balled out. The excitement of getting Drexler was great, but we were still only a 5th seed.

15. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It reminds me of 92-93 when I knew the team was good enough to make a deep run. It is also very similar since there are so many good teams in the west. We could lose in the first round or make it to the conference finals. The difference between the 2nd and 7th team is very thin. I would say this is the best team we have had since 96.

16. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

This group reminds me more of the 2007-09 Rockets teams that overcame injuries to win 50+ games(including 22 in a row in the 07-08 season) and took the eventual champion Lakers to 7 games in the 2nd round in 2009 than the championship Rockets teams.

Dream's Rockets in the early-to-mid 90's ran off 15-game winning streaks in both the 1992-93 and 1993-94 seasons(including a 22-1 start in the latter). This Rockets team doesn't have the kind of dominance or consistency to pull off something like that.

17. Kash

Kash Member

I've been watching Houston since '92, when I moved there. I'll tell you, it is special because of Harden. Houston hasn't enjoyed such a dominate player since Hakeem.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've never agreed so strongly with DaDakota. During the glory years, the regular season was at times frustrating but the team was NAILS during the playoffs. It seemed Hakeem could achieve whole new levels of play in the 2nd season, leaving everyone else looking mortal by comparison.

Even though I love Harden and am marveling at his season, I don't know if he has the same tenacious overdrive gear when the whistles get swallowed and you, as the best player, get double-teamed all the time. Just wait until you see what teams throw at him during the playoffs. Again, it's no knock on him, sincerely. He's an amazing player. The amazing playoff guys are just even more rare. I'm cautiously optimistic but not what I would call on the edge of my seat for the playoffs. Almost worried.

Unlike the mid-90's, we don't have a 2nd fiddle who can take over a game. A Mad Max or a Drexler or a Cassell.

19. CCorn

CCorn Member

^^^finally the elder speaks.. Now waiting for his side kick...

20. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I have been fan since our Finals appearance in 86. Frankly this season feels like some of the tmac seasons. With dream you had that deep run in 86 and aside from the sonics some good success in the 90s. I feel dream had what it took. For this group I need to see some success to believe they are for real. Best I can feel right now is cautiously optimistic. With dream i always felt like we would win cause he could carry a team. I like Harden. But right now the saddle doesn't fit on his back like they did dreams.

Also back the we didn't shoot free throws like a blind man the way some of our bigs do