1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we the worst officiated team in the last 2 minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pugsly8422, Apr 1, 2015.

1. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

So we all know the NBA has come out with the "Two Minute Report", telling us whether or not correct calls were made during the last 2 minutes of games that were within 5 points at the 2 minute mark. Looking at these, we can get an idea of the teams that have been on the bad end of the most calls.

Of course, being avid Rockets fans, it seems as though it's always us, especially at crucial times (specifically the Grizzlies and Raptors games).

So here is what the first 30 days of the report for the Rockets look like:
    Incorrect calls against Rockets - 8
    Games played that were within 5 points at the 2 minute mark - 5
    Average # of incorrect calls against Rockets per game in last 2 minutes - 1.6

How does the rest of the NBA stack up, and where do we rank? Here's a list showing how many each team averages per game:

1. Bulls 2.3
    2. Nuggets 2.3
    3. Suns 2.0
    4. Knicks 1.8
    5. Trail Blazers 1.8
    6. Rockets 1.6
    7. Timberwolves 1.6
    8. Mavericks 1.5
    9. Spurs 1.5
    10. Celtics 1.4
    11. 76ers 1.3
    12. Hornets 1.3
    13. Pelicans 1.3
    14. Lakers 1.3
    15. Pacers 1.0
    16. Cavaliers 0.8
    17. Nets 0.8
    18. Pistons 0.8
    19. Wizards 0.8
    20. Bucks 0.8
    21. Kings 0.8
    22. Warriors 0.7
    23. Jazz 0.6
    24. Grizzlies 0.5
    25. Clippers 0.3
    26. Hawks 0.3
    27. Magic 0.3
    28. Heat 0.2
    29. Raptors 0.0
    30. Thunder 0.0

So, it looks like we're definitely in the upper tier, but at least the answer to the question in the subject line is no. I think my biggest complaint is seeing the refs swallow their whistles and change their officiating at the end of games. Call a consistent game no matter when it is, and hopefully that will help eliminate some of this, although it will obviously never go away.

Of course, this is based on sheer numbers/volume. If you take into account the importance of specific calls (once again, the Grizzlies and Raptors games), then obviously it would change things.

2 people like this.
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

2 blatantly bad calls in the playoffs where the NBA came out and admitted they were wrong too.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Did you account for the extended 5 minutes of overtimes?

1 double OT game is worth 6 last 2 minute reports.

4. ribbit

ribbit Member

If a referee habitually makes a wrong call (or no-call), what is the consequence? Are they going to be fined? Pay-raise restriction? Suspended? Fired? What is the purpose?

Sorry for the ignorance.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Some around here would say "all teams have bad calls against them so it's even and that's no excuse for losing"

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Forget about it man... they owe us 2 games in the playoffs.

[​IMG]

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

What's the problem? NBA apologized. It's totally cool! And now we have the ref reports so surely the calls will improve from here on out!

8. Houston79Astro

They should use these reports in evaluating which refs should be aloud in the playoffs. We need the best of the best to ref these very important games.

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Warriors are the worst officiated team in the last 2 minutes. As in, not enough of their reach in fouls are ever called at any point in the game, and certainly not at the end. That defense didn't become #1 magically overnight going from Jackson to Kerr. It happened because Kerr told them to go all out Jazz style, reaching in on every drive to the bucket with the mentality that "they can't call the foul every time!" Sound familiar?

10. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

They hate us cuz they ain't us. Well, it's time to say hello to the bad guys.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

12. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

dope pic. You should share this with dwight on twitter or instagram. He would love it.

13. SemisolidSnake

It'd be a hell of a task, but I'd actually like to see some more advanced breakdowns of these two minute reports now that we have them. Specifically, I'd like to see which players the calls are going against the most, and (this would be really hard, but the most illuminating) which bad calls had a high percentage of giving the game to one team or another. Which refs are consistently involved in bad calls is another one that would be fairly easy to put together.

Harden's been the recipient of two calls (that I can think of off the top of my head) that pretty gave the game to the other team. That was the Memphis no-call, and the recent jump ball instead of timeout. Conversely, I'd like to see how many bad calls favored Lebron James. There's only a limited set of data right now, but after a while, I think you'd start to notice trends.

Thanks for putting your list together.

14. Camarograna2

Camarograna2 Contributing Member

Where is the poll?

15. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

It would be waaaay to involved to do it, but it would be nice if these calls were weighted to show how damaging the call is. For example if the call results in a loss of possession, the impact of the call would be the expected value of a possession from that team (1.065 for the Rockets). If they miss a call on Harden that would have led to two free throws for the Rockets, the impact of the call would be Harden's FT% squared times two (.87^2*2 = 1.50). Etc.

16. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's sports - they're going to be bad calls and good calls.

Harden's not going to get a call every time he drives. Some obvious calls will be missed and other no calls will be called as fouls. You just have to deal with it.

17. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

I would say Clippers. lol too funny what happens to them at the end of games. that coupled with the semantics of Doc Rivers is hilarious

18. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Exactly. I feel like we're suddenly becoming the whiniest fan base. We all need to simmer a bit.

19. jogo

jogo Member

I think refs will just swallow their whistles some in the last 2 minutes and there's nothing we can do about it. That's definitely how it will be in the playoffs so we need to get used to it. I'm sure NBA coaches are telling their players that they can be more physical at the end of games and maybe get away with it. Plus Harden has a ridiculous amount of FTs. Isn't he like 100 made FTs more than the next guy? I can't complain about that. (Though I get mad like everyone when I think the refs blow a call.)

We have won an abnormal number of close games this year so we should just be happy with that. We can't depend on whistles in the playoffs.

20. RESINator

RESINator Member

I'd like to see the incorrect calls for the other teams playing against the rockets. 8 incorrect calls against the rockets is meaningless if they also effed up and equal or greater number of calls for the other team. Also keep in mind that not all calls are equal