1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In today's game would HAKEEM have played C or PF?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by txppratt, Mar 27, 2015.

?

in Today's NBA, would Hakeem play C or PF? (2015-16)

1. He would play C for sure, shot blocking machine! #HakeemtheDream is THE Center of any dream team!

97 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. He would play power forward, today's game needs a skilled 'post game' around the basket.

12 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. I don't know... 'men of size' are hard to find, play the best 4/5 combo you got...

9 vote(s)
    7.3%
  4. The reffing is terrible of big men, so it doesn't really matter, they want to see guard scoring.

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. I have no idea, your opinions are totally loco txppratt!

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

as time goes on and i have now 20+ years of NBA film under my belt, i cant help but notice that the C and PF position are the most critical positions to man in the NBA.

size is everything... size and skill are immaculate.

in today's game what position would HAKEEM have played?

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

In this era he would of played point

3. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

did i miss a new nba trend where the taller bigs play pf and the smaller bigs play center?

4. Purvis2Short

Purvis2Short Member

People forget that Olajuwon was a athletic freak when he left U of H Phi Slamma Jama. I read an article that he had a 40 inch vertical leap out of college.

5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Well, that WAS what happened with our Twin Towers. In answer to the thread though, Hakeem would still play center. Today's center would be eaten alive from him. Hakeem does have the range and face to basket game to excel at PF as well though.

6. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

As Olajuwon said the night he was drafted and asked where he would play since the Rockets already had Sampson "I think I like to play in the paint". Dream turned Sampson into a PF. Being a center would have been part of his basketball identity no matter what era he played in.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

clearly he can play both but in todays league where quality centers are hard to get he'd be a center by default. if he happened to be on a team that had a quality center who cant defend 4s then he'd be the pf.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The real question is: Is he or is he not a point forward?

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Considering there aren't many real centers, he would have dominated the center position even more

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It would be like this today:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/olVaIZjfTx0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Except the rap music would be much worse

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

He would play either pf or center. If we had dwight too, he'd play pf. If we had terence jones or dmo, he'd play center. Hakeem would still dominate the paint and do everything.

12. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

It wouldn't matter; he'd destroy anyone at either position.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you put Dream in today's game, you have to assume he has the same advanced nutrition,training and medical care now than in 1984

This guy would be double the beast LeBron is.

14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

doesn't even matter

you dump the ball to him in the paint he will score unless he gets double or triple teamed

I can't imagine anyone in the league today guarding him 1v1 in the paint

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Positions don't matter, why do people still worry about this?

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Hakeem could have played any position. He was a beast. Heck, he was an even bigger beast when observing Ramadan when he couldn't even eat or drink during day during the season!! Just think about how crazy that is.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

In his autobio, he talks about being a center, a big man. That is what he played and that is what he would play. Threads and posts trying to put him at PF pop up with regularity here and all they do is show how little some people know about Dream. Probably pisses me off more than it should, but dang it people, the man was born to be a center. Just because he doesn't move like Muresan, Bol, and Eaton does not mean he was a PF. If he was playing with Dwight, Dwight would be the PF or the backup Center.

Dream played against Moses at Fonde. He played Center for PSJ. He played Center for the Rockets. He played Center for The USA Olympic team. He was inducted into the HOF as a Center. He describes himself as a Center. He is a Center.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Go back and watch highlights of the Finals against Boston and then revise your wording. Young Dream embarrassed a HOF frontline and often took all three of them on.

19. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

??

You're arguing in agreement. Did you even read his post??

20. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Really doubt it, the progress isn't as big as you make it out to be. Hakeem, Jordan, Bird, Magic etc were as good as it gets and present nutrition and workouts wouldn't make them any better. The only real progress is how guys can play more years now and recover faster from injuries.