1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The James Harden Shoot Too Many Free Throws Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SF3isBack!!, Mar 26, 2015.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

People like to talk like James Harden averaging 10 Free Throws a game is something new and bad. Like there is some sort of asterisk around his scoring because he averages 10 free throws a game and it's due to Morey ball and it's ruining the game of basketball. He not the only one to do it.

The actual truth is when people are unstoppable going to the basket you have to foul them or they will just keep driving by you. Last year Kevin Durant averaged 9.9 free throws a game. He won MVP. There was not a peep about how terrible his game is because of it. The great Lebron James averaged 10.2 free throws a game in 2010 and he won MVP, this was 5 years ago yet no one complained about how many times he got to the free throw line or that his game was boring or ruining the NBA.

There is a double standard when it comes to Harden. Being 3rd in the West without Dwight Howard is just too incredible so there has to be some conspiracy as to why, he can't be that good.. right? Yes he can. #MVP

[​IMG]

Free Throw Attempts Average Notable Players /Year/Title Won
    James Harden 10.1 2015 TBA
    Kevin Durant 9.9 2014 MVP/Scoring Champ
    Lebron James 10.2 2010 MVP
    Lebron James 10.3 2008
    Kobe Bryant 10.0 2007 Scoring Champ
    Kobe Bryant 10.2 2006 Scoring Champ

Harden is in good company

1 person likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

you and your conspiracy threads.

I don't think people are saying it's ruining the game of basketball. They just say it's boring to watch. But less are saying that now.

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Durant MVP 10 FTA/G
    Lebron MVP 10+ FTA/G
    Kobe MVP 9 FTA/ G where the 3 previous years were consecutive 10+ FTA/G
    Iverson MVP 10+ FTA/G
    Jordan MVP 10.5 FTA/G

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

How is it a conspiracy, has anyone called Kevin Durant or Lebron James games boring because of free throws? And yes someone has actually told me that the way he plays ruins basketball BECAUSE THEY THINK IT'S BORING. I'm so tired of fighting the combative little ****s like you on this site. How do you know if someone has or has not said that to me?? OR THAT I'VE READ IT SOMEWHERE?

5. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

It's somewhat of a conspiracy thread, but that doesn't make incorrect. People are very uneducated when it comes to Harden's talents. They say that he flops, but we know that just 1 or 2 calls per game are due to over exaggeration, which is probably less than some superstars out there. You can't deny that there is some sort of bias against Houston.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I've posted this same thing to two other fan sites and I've gotten "GO Harden!!" or "Harden MVP" or "WOW, I didn't know that" responses, not on Clutchfans on Clutchfans I get called a conspiracy theorist, lol whatever.. I guess nevermind.

7. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Isn't Westbrook averaging more free throws per game? It's just that Harden has played more games this season, he's now 150 or so more free throws than anyone else.
    But nothing wrong with it IMO.

8. heypartner

Sorry, I just can't get your "Harden is TIRED!" thread out of my mind, watching you make 70 out of the 260 posts in that thread. And noticed I didn't bother you when you were on that roll!

Also, it's close to the playoffs and I'm getting jazzed about coming back to Houston for all the playoff games, and getting somewhat tired of all these Double Standard posts or Harden/Houston gets no respect...the media is against us. Especially when it is only focused on who wins the MVP and nothing to do with the Team's success.

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

No. Harden averages more ft/game.

The truth is that Harden is just not that exciting compared to Lebron, Kobe, Durant, etc. The FT complaints are just a product of that.

10. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I made the post and people were responding to me, ofcourse I had that many posts. Second if you didn't like the thread you didn't have to go into it. I didn't ask you to respond to it. It's seems like you are just lookin for reasons to be a dick.

1 person likes this.
  11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I watch all of them and I would say Harden is more exciting than Lebron, especially this year.

12. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

It's all because of athleticism. Harden isn't as explosive as those guys, so casual NBA fans won't really like watching Harden play. For basketball purists, or former players, Harden's game is such a treat to watch. Harden isn't the kind to just dunk over people and unfortunately that's all the casual NBA fans want to see, and Westbrick, Kobe, Lebron can do that.

Harden's talents lie in his patience, deceptiveness, and his efficient use of energy. Why run around like Westbrick the whole time, when you can wait for the defense, read and react to their scheme, and attack? Harden is one of the highest IQ players in a while IMO. Not only in his control of the game as a point guard, but just in the way he attacks the rim. He knows exactly what to do with his body in order to draw a foul AND put himself in a position to score. Harden is 3rd in the league in lay-ups made (as seen here)

13. heypartner

I did not respond to that thread. I was just reading it. I was never a dick about the "Harden is TIRED!" thread at all. It made for a fun meme around here.

But I am being a dick (for the first time, sorry I picked your thread...nothing personal) about this continued whiny attitude of some Houston fans who just can't stop talking about unfair media treatment and Harden's MVP, refs are against us. It's a Double Standard.

"Since when did Houston fans become whiny b****es." -- Grantland

14. WinkFan

Yeah, but most NBA fans like Lebron more because he's more athletic and gets lots of dunks.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The truth is the truth whether you want to call it whiny or not. At least they are being real fans and defending him. Who gives a **** what Grantland thinks. People who want to be a dick intentionally misunderstanding things so they can run and make MEME's of them are immature. If you wanna make fun of a Houston fan for thinking that James Harden should take a rest before the playoffs fine I don't care. If me pointing out that James Harden takes as many free throws as Lebron James yet people seem to think Harden is the only one who takes so many, whiny fine man, I don't care. I'm so done with ****ty combative Houston fans.

16. heypartner

I also didn't partake in the "Harden is Tired" memes that have become popular around here. Actually, maybe once. So, I didn't respond to your TIRED thread, nor was I the cause of any meme from it. You could say I like it in a watching a train wreck sorta way. "I can't get it out of my mind." 70 out of 260 posts. :eek:

You're just being overly sensitive to criticism.

The whining is not being a "real fan" nor is it about "the truth." It's just whining.

Sorry to break that to you.

17. WinkFan

Probably after reading or listening to Grantland.

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well Harden does play more minutes than Westbrook, so that is expected.
    Probably true.

19. Red.Glare

Red.Glare Member

Thanks OP for the info. Since I still have to watch every non-nationally televised game on FirstRow and listen to the home team's announcers. I constantly hear them complain the entire game about Harden's excessive free-throws. So it is nice to know that this is common to most scoring leaders/MVP candidates.

20. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

The people that say his game is boring don't watch him. They probably see the stats and hear what other people who just look at his stats say.

1 person likes this.