1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[USA Today] James Harden interview

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Mar 26, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

James Harden on MVP-level rise: 'All I needed was time'

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

Straw in the rockets drink?

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I thought it meant "he's cooking them!" I love that better than the straw that stirs the drink.

4. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Hello Mr MVP. Welcome. Your time has come. It took time but now it's here :)))

5. bmd

bmd Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He's like the Joker telling a different origin story every time someone asks.

2 people like this.
  7. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Pretty much. I have heard about the Island version, the Cooking version. And now the Drink version?

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I might get flame for this, but why advocate so much for James getting MVP when we don't know how he'll perform in the playoffs?

I get that it's a regular season award, but I think what stands out is that if we don't get out of the first, the whole thing is a failure. I don't care if he gets the award; I just want to go deep into the playoffs.

Team success > individual accolades, and it seems like the Rockets are the only organization vying tirelessly to see to it that James wins.

James says stuff like he's focused on winning, but I'm a little turned off when he himself acknowledges that he's carrying the team. I wish he would acknowledge more that he has championship aspirations.

I guess I'm excited for the playoffs this year, but at the same time, our team has been criticized non-stop. James winning MVP and losing in the first round is a great paradox imo.

Co-MVPs aren't out of the question here either.

1 person likes this.
  9. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Because everybody knows the odds of Harden winning MVP >>> the odds of Rockets winning Championship.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The stirring the drink comment isn't what Harden said, just a comparison made by the writer.

I don't know where the island thing came from.

Someone locally, Feigen I think, confirmed it means cooking defenders..

11. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

The is
    And Island one came from mike fratello I think, saying that he puts players on an island all alone

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Hubert brown. Not fratello.

13. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

Harden said it in the interview with T Mac I believe. He said something like he's got somebody on an island and he's cooking him or some****..

14. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

The twitter replies always ****ing piss me off. People are so ignorant. Cousins having a just as good individual season as Harden? Are you kidding me?

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Mixing up the Rocket fuel. Boom!

16. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

James "Brian Williams" Harden

1 person likes this.
  17. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

That's what i heard from the interview. T-Mac asked about it, James said, you got em on an island and just cook em up.

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

No offence, but I hate these counter arguments.. One is not a sacrifice for the other. What if Curry wins the MVP and gets bounce? What if Harden wins the MVP and advances. Anything can happen, and the award has nothing to do with the post season.

I would like him to be rewarded for what he has done thus far this season. I would also like to advance further in the playoffs. Both have a realistic chance of happening. If it was one or the other I would obviously choose advancing.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

1) How will James Harden winning MVP hurt our playoff chances in any way?
    2) In what possible way could the Rockets have won more by featuring Harden less? They're already overperforming preseason expectations, on paper expectations, and especially expectations accounting for injuries.
    3) You can make this "don't know how the playoffs will go" argument for literally every single winner of every single regular season award in every single sport. If it applies to every candidate, it really doesn't apply to any candidate. And even in the one NBA case in the last 20 years where someone was mocked for winning MVP and then choking in the playoffs (Dirk), that just motivated him to come back harder and finally win his first ring.

20. Rockfan

Rockfan Contributing Member

I have never ever understood why we (the fans) talk about the MVP award so much. Who gives a ****. What does the winner get other than the glory of being called the MVP? A Kia Optima? What does the team get? Nothing. F that. I love watching James Harden and that'd be cool if he gets the MVP, but I care about as much as I care about what pair of socks I wear.

Winning even one round of the playoffs is about 10x more satisfying than having an MVP on your team and having an MVP without playoff success is just extra depressing. End Rant.

1 person likes this.