1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

When is somebody going to teach Terrence Jones how to shoot?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oakdogg, Mar 16, 2015.

1. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

He needs to just completely dump this ugly semi-set shot he has and start over.

Seriously, if he had a Carl Landry-level jumper, I see the sky as the limit for Jones. With his handles, he can get by any big man in the league. Now, though, any smart defender would just play off him and dare him to shoot.

This kid is good - could be great though! I don't know why no one has developed Jones' shot with him at all. Am I crazy? Does anybody think his form will work long-term??

2. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

He does need a consistent shot, but form doesn't matter IMO. Bird had one of the ugliest forms in the history of NBA, but is one of the deadliest shooters. Now, to clarify for all the stupid posters, I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT T-JONES IS OR CAN REMOTELY APPROACH THE AWESOMENESS OF BIRD. I am merely pointing out that form is ultimately worthless as long as the ball consistently goes through the hoop.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Oh dear no......

I better get outta here before BBholic / jopatmc goes on a post rampage....

His set 3 looked pretty good last night though.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Offensive plays are never the problems for Jones, why do you want to make a change in his play? He is doing very well right now both offensive and defensive ends.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah his shot form is wacky and slow. Unfortunately asking him to change his jumper at this point in his career is probably a bad idea and would hamper him for at least a few years.

6. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Can't wait until TJones leave the rockets. You people don't appreciate him.

7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

If he can at least hit those timely shots, such as the three pointer yeterday.. I'm good with it.

8. arjun

arjun Member

he hit a HUGE 3 yesterday, but yes...his mid range and ft shooting NEEDS to improve.

9. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I like TJones!!! The genesis of this thread is a conversation I was having with a friend. I was remarking on how amazing his handles are for a big man and wondered aloud if the Rockets wouldn't be smart to iso him, because he can beat any big man off the dribble. My friend remarked it would never work, because of Jones' lousy shot. I had to agree. It just would be cool if Jones could go from strictly a garbage man to more of a featured part of the offense.

1 person likes this.
  10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He should get some lessons from Ricky Rubio.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Jones shoots the heaviest looking shot I have ever seen. I don't don't know how to explain it, it just looks weird, like the ball has no chance to go in unless it goes in completely clean.

12. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

when is someone going to ban the OP?!

13. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

7-14 50% FG% and 1-2 50% 3PT% last night.

Amongst Howard, Josh Smith, Terrence Jones, and Donatas Motiejunas, out of all 4 of those guys, who is the 1 guy I cringe the least if he's taking a 12 ft jumper? Terrence Jones.

The guy has simply been playing great this year before and after the near career-ending injury. Where are all those people who wanted Brandon Bass for TJ last year?

Literally the last thing I think of when I watch the Rockets is "Terrence Jones needs to shoot and make more jumpers and he needs to do it with a more traditional form"

We usually talk about his rebounding. Oh so last night he got 12 boards in 33 minutes, 5 of which were off our glass.

Are "Atta Boy"s a completely foreign concept to Rockets fans lately? We can't seem to find the good in nothing.

#13 cdrive, Mar 16, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  14. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

x2 would rep

15. bmd

bmd Member

Larry Bird's form was not ugly. His face was, but his form was good.

16. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

You don't need to have the "perfect form" to be an avg/above avg shooter. Kevin Martin is someone that comes to mind immediately.

Look at Pat Bev - he's gotta a nice shooting form, but can't make a 3 to save his life.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He has a long and slow release that is far from ideal, but it's hard to completely change one's shooting mechanics. The end result of years of trying to re-work the fundamentals of your shot is usually nothing all that great.

His best bet is to just join that "200-made-3s-a-day Club" and do the best he can with what he's got. He'll never be a great shooter but with his other abilities he doesn't have to be.

Really, after the nerve issue he had eariler this season I'm just happy to have him back and playing at the level he was when he went down. I'd like to see him go from good to great, sure, but at the same time I am thankful to have a good and versatile 23 year old PF.

18. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Three he hit yesterday looked Damn good

19. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

His long and slow release is purposeful. He is lengthy and he can drive. How many times have you seen a defender bite on his slow release, and then he drives in for an easier bucket? It happens often.

Seriously, someone tell me: Who do you like seeing take a 14-16 ft jumper out the Rockets bigs better than TJ? lazy fade away Josh Smith? Dwight Oh my god why is he shooting a jumper Howard? D-Mo?

Go look at TJ's shot chart last night, then look at D-Mo's shot chart, then explain to me why are we manufacturing this falsehood about TJ's mid-range shot when if anyone we should be talking about D-Mo's mid-range shot.

D-Mo was 3-15, missed all 5 of his mid-range jump shots, 4 inside the free throw line circle, one 15ft jumper off the elbow. He missed all 3 of his 5-9 ft jumpers as well.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Why are we so concerned about our starting PF hitting mid and long range jump shots?

Keep putting on muscle, keep working on your developing post-up game and your interior defense. And free throws.

1 person likes this.