1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Play-offs 2015: greatest match-ups?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rocket2008, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

I thought it would be fun to see what people feel would be great though realistic match-ups for the play-offs. For example, I think a Bulls-Cavaliers match-up would be great, but is very likely not going to happen. I'll start:

East

1) Hawks vs. 8) Pacers - They have some play-off history and most recently in 2012-2013 where Pacers eliminated the Hawks. This however would only be if Paul George comes back, otherwise it would be a cakewalk for the Hawks. Hibbert & David West vs. Horford & Millsap would be great to watch and George vs. Korver would be interesting.

*1) Hawks vs. 8) Heat - This would be great in case of no Paul George. Dragic vs. Teague, see how Whiteside holds his own for a play-off series vs a great frontcourt, Korver torching Wade possibly. They have great history as well.

2) Bulls vs. 7) Hornets - I feel like this would be a tighter battle than most might assume. Bulls are slipping just a bit and Hornets are coming together at the right time with Kemba Walker possibly coming back. Both teams have some nice shooters, playmakers, some advantages like the
    Hornets in the back-court, Bulls frontcourt have some great (play-off) history.

3) Cavaliers vs. 6) Wizards - They have history, John Wall vs. Kyrie, Lebron vs. Paul Pierce & Bradley Beal, the big fellas match-up. Cavaliers have some knuckleheads like Perking and JR who can get into some serious battles with Paul Pierce and company. What more could you ask for?

4) Raptors vs. 5) Bucks - They would have a nice fight with some mismatches, players with an edge, advantages at certain positions on both sides which could be a tight battle.

West

1) Warriors vs. 8) OKC - Curry vs. Westbrook, both MVP type seasons, shooters, big guys who can bang, Durant & Greene, Thompson, Ibaka and could have the potential to be a great tough series going down to the wire.

2) Grizzlies vs. 7) Spurs - The history is there, the battle of big guys, the battle of the back-court, both deep benches with role players who do not care about points and both very tough. Could be another awesome series!

3) Rockets vs. 6) Mavericks - Ow yes, the history is there and add the whole Parsons saga, the beef with Morey and Cuban and you have a great match-up. Ariza vs. pretty boy, Tyson & Dirk vs. TJ, D-Mo & possible Dwight, Harden vs. Ellis, Beverley vs. Rondo. Some potential fights and scuffles in there and a match-up we can handle. Would probably be very tough though.

* Blazers vs. Rockets - This would also be a potential awesome match-up, because of last year and with the injuries to Matthews, they could fall. We can also possibly fall if Dwight does not come back or far from fully healthy, so a 3/6 or 4/5 match-up is definitely possible.

4) Clippers vs. 5) Blazers - Inner division rivals, both with great players at PG & PF so that would be great in itself. Both have something to prove and things could chippy as well.

What do you guys think?

2. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Rockets Mavs

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If Cavs - Wizards, DeShawn Stevenson NEEDS to make a comeback

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

GS OKC might be the best series in the playoffs

5. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

How could you have left out Cavs-Heat as a 1st round series?

Thats by far the most fun storyline for a 1st round matchup.

6. hoopster325

hoopster325 Member

I think Golden State will still smoke them. I don't buy OKC this year at all, they have no chemistry even when Durant is playing. Just not coming together for them.

7. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

East:
    (1) Atlanta Hawks vs (8) Indiana Pacers
    Atlanta is the best team in the league in my opinion. Yet the Pacers have had their number in the past two seasons. West and Hibbert are absolute brutes and can bully and outrebound the Hawks bigs, not to mention Indy has the defense to hang with the myriad of Hawks shooters. The Hawks have shown they don't need a 'superstar' to win, and their ability to stretch the floor and pass will definitely be troublesome for Indy. This series becomes all the more interesting if Paul George is indeed cleared to play. Can PG13 lead an upset?

(2) Cleveland Cavaliers vs. (7) Miami Heat
    Its not exactly how I wanted it, with Bosh being out, but this will fuel so many storylines. LeBron and Wade both will want to have a hell of a showing and show the other was wrong for leaving/staying. Irving and Love will want to show they can hang with the big boys in the post-season. Dragic is going to want to play hard for that big money max deal. The Miami crowd will certainly have some venom for the Cavs. It won't be an upset but it'll be entertaining to say the least.

(3) Chicago Bulls vs. (6) Milwaukee Bucks
    I really do wish Parker hadn't been hurt. The Chicago-borne reppin' Milwaukee. Still, the Bucks are a young team brimming with potential, whilst the Bulls are a haggard bunch of vets. Rose squaring off against MCW will be good to see. Jimmy Buckets vs the Greek Freak will be fun. The Bulls' imposing frontline will likely pummel the Bucks, but the young Bucks will have something to prove.

(4) Toronto Raptors vs (5) Washington Wizards
    I think folks are sleeping on this matchup; it would be very tight. Lowry and Wall, DeRozan and Beal, JV and Gortat. This may arguably be the most evenly matched series in this hypothetical tree. The Raps are looking to make up for last season's exit (whom Pierce played quite a role in), whilst the Wiz are hoping to build upon the success of last season (although Wittman holds them back). Darkhorse for the most closely contested series IMO.

West:
    (1) Golden State Warriors vs. (8) Oklahoma City Thunder
    Without a doubt, this could be the very best first round matchup. I wouldn't say theres necessarily a rivalry there (yet) but when you have two MVP candidates (who happen to be two of the top 3 PGs in the game), an up-and-coming player in Klay AND last year's MVP in the same series? Not to mention a refurbished OKC team going up against arguably the most talented cast of role players on a contending squad. Its going to be dynamite. As a Rockets fan, I'd love to see OKC pull the upset.

(2) Memphis Grizzlies vs. (7) San Antonio Spurs
    Two gritty teams going at it. They delivered to us a 3 OT classic earlier in the year, so why wouldn't we want to see a 7 game series? Both with a heavily team-orientated approach to the game. This may very well be the Spurs' last hurrah for quite some time, and I feel that this is the best Memphis has ever been. If the Rockets fail to launch, I'll be hoping for the Grizz to win it all.

(3) Houston Rockets vs. (6) Dallas Mavericks
    Lets face it. There is enough bad blood between these two teams, from the decade-ago screw/choke job to Cuban's beef with Morey, to paint the whole state red. A divisional rivalry at its finest. Parsons will look to prove a point, whereas Harden will be hungry to show the world he can lead a title game. Will Howard come back strong from the injury? Will Dirk have hit the wall at this point? A This would be the best possible first round matchup for us.

(4) Portland Trailblazers vs. (5) Los Angeles Clippers
    I love matchups that pit star players against other star players at the same position. Chris Paul, the wily veteran, against Damian Lilliard, the rising young blood. LaMarcus Aldridge, the no-flash midrange sniper, againt Blake Griffin, a nonstop highlight factory. Both teams have what it takes to go all the way, but only one can move on. 4-5 matchups are always the most intense so I'll be interested in this one. From a Rox fan perspective, definitely want Portland to take this one.

8. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Far from it, it's highly unlikely and other then Lebron leaving Miami, there is not much there.

9. Vienna Calling

The East doesn't intrigue me at all in the first round, to be honest. Too many teams with major flaws in their game. The West on the other hand will be absolutely awesome.

GS vs. (healthy) OKC will be a helluva series! I think Ibaka and Adams are mobile enough to defend the Warriors' frontcourt players.

10. HookemHorns1250

It would be an interesting storyline if we were to stay at the 4th seed, and have OKC upset Golden State.

Bev vs Westbrook round two.

Ariza vs Durant

Harden vs his former team.

Would make for some good ratings.

11. HookemHorns1250

Of course pending on getting out of the first round first...

12. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yeah I know what you mean on the first round thing, but definitely agree with you on the OKC match-up being great ratings.

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Agree with everything except Bev vs Westbrook. If he plays like he's playing now, won't be a matchup.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Only reason there's not much here is because Bosh isn't playing

15. HookemHorns1250

Obviously if Westbrook plays like he is now there's nothing Beverley can do to stop him, nor any point guard in the league for that matter. I'm speaking of the heated battle between Westbrook and Beverley, I'm sure there's no love loss there.