1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The lack of calls in the Grizzlies-Rockets game last night

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Mar 5, 2015.

1. what

what Member

While I am not specifically referring to the "blown call," I know a lot of rockets fans are upset at the lack of calls in general.

I am just wondering, do you guys think that the rockets coming out with the point to make the game more PHYSICAL had something to do with the refs letting them PLAY.

This might be the reason the rockets didn't get as many foul opportunities as they usually do.

If you tell the ref (by your style of play that night) that you want to be physical and they let you, are you sending the right message? It seems to me that that strategy played into the grizzlies hands.(no pund intended)

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Yeah, I think you are onto something. The refs just let the teams play, didn't really give either team free throws last night. I mean the Grizzlies only had 3 times as many free throws right? That seems pretty equivalent.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We weren't that physical coming out. See our 3pt shooting.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

It has to go both ways, the refs can't give certain calls to one team but not the other.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

Thats a crock because they gave Lee a call that they could have easily given to Harden. Last minute in a half of the game too.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your sarcasm detector needs an oil change.

7. what

what Member

I am not saying it was the SOLE reason. But I am also trying to look at this in an objective manner.

I certainly don't think it was a FISHY game that the league is trying to hold the rockets back.

The rockets have like what 5 nationally-televised games coming down the stretch, the most of any team. If anything they'd want the rockets to win this game, I would assume.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I honestly had no problems with the officiating up until the no-call. It was fine up until they decided to hand the game away.

10. jjc1

jjc1 Member

Superstar like Harden is "supposed" to get calls late in the game when there is "contact". The refs will call that a foul if it's Lebron driving to the basket. :mad:

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Forget superstars like Harden. Even Hasheem Thabeet should have gotten that call last night. It's impossible to play basketball if a blatant hack across the arm with 3 refs watching isn't considered a foul, especially in the most important moment of the game.

12. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Report: Harden out due to fractures in his forearms from last night's game winning drive to the basket

13. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Your assumption is wrong. The Rockets are viscerally hated by the majority of national media pundits and fans. They are, by far, the NBA's most polarizing franchise. That's why their role as super villian makes for GREAT television.

America will tune in to root for 'marquee team' X (the good guys or protagonists) fight the good fight and overcome the evil, dreaded Rockets (the antagonist). This fits the classic 'hero narrative' that popularized Greek epics during antiquity. And, it's the same Hollywood script used today to ca$h in on summer blockbusters.

If you don't believe other 'marquee' teams are more favored than the Rockets, then just watch any national postgame show -- especially after Rockets victories on TNT. Pure salt. Even game recaps on SportsCenter focus on other teams' reasons for losing against arch-villian, Houston. The narrative is real.

FWIW, If Morey's game philosophy proves successful this postseason AND Harden/Howard thoroughly dominate their superstar counterparts, then the Rockets will gain support from some NBA execs, broadcasters, writers and fans.

Truth be told, Les/Morey/McHale have something to prove to Houston fans, too.

14. what

what Member

if they are hated why do they have 5 nationally-televised games :confused:

15. REEKO_HTOWN

Wh did the Heat get like 12 of them when Lebron went there?

16. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you should read my post before asking a question that's been answered.

17. what

what Member

lebron is in cleveland now and guess how many they got? the rockets 5 cleveland 1.

you can't tell me the nba hates the rockets, it just ain't true.

18. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Who said the NBA hates the Rockets???

19. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets did come out physical against the Grizzlies, and you have to, the Grizzlies are a very big and physical veteran team. Part of the Rockets struggles against the Grizzlies last season was having soft players in Parsons and Lin getting heavy rotation minutes.

Having said that, no I don't think that the refs just decided to "let them play" because they Rockets were aggressive. The Grizzlies still shot 19 free throws to the Rockets half dozen. There is one referee that has covered the Rockets a number of times and does not call fouls.... same ref was in the Bulls game that sent the Rockets to the line a half dozen times... half of those free throws were after the game was decided.

The refs missed an important call at the end of a game and Zach got away with it.... that is it. Nothing more to it. Ultimately, if the Rockets and Grizzlies meet in the playoff, the non call could haunt the Grizzlies as the refs will be likely to over correct.

I am also not sure the Rockets "played into the Grizzlies hands", they lost by 2to a very good Grizzlies team without Howard.

It was just a tough loss, and nothing more..... you don't win every close game and the lack of a creator other than Harden hurts. If Howard plays the Rockets win.... but injuries are part of the game.