1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KJ McDaniels and his Contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/k-j-mcdaniels-sixers-non-guaranteed-contracts/

Grantland did a writeup last October about KJ McDaniels and his unique contract. Here are some highlights:

As a player he may have some value. But this is a classic trading chip move by Morey seems like. Or a cap clearing move.

2. DarkHorse

Wasn't sure about this free agency status, but then I saw this:

So it sounds like the Rockets will likely make McDaniels a RFA after this season.

1 person likes this.
  3. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

4. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Nice, that definitely puts my mind at ease a little.

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His value is at an all time low right now because he's a 29% 3 point shooter. He reminds me of a more athletic Trevor Ariza when he first entered the league. He is already an above avg defender with potential to be elite in 2-3 years. Super valuable piece for any contender at the right contract.

Whatever amount we sign him this summer should be a bargain 1-2 years down the line, unless it's over $6-7 million per year. Super athletic 3 and D guys don't come cheap at all.

What an amazing move by Morey again to get someone this valuable in restricted FA status with only Cannon + 2nd round pick.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Basically he is a RFA and a team can pull a Lin/Asik poison pill on us with an offer.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

considering he probably won't play much with us, will there be much of a market for him this summer? Maybe he could be had for the 1 year 1.2m qualifying offer. Then repeat the process in 2016. Maybe by then he will have developed a good 3pt shot and would be worth a longer term deal.

8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

*Cuban salivates*

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea, but no one will.

I think thats the point.

A project, with high upside, which you can lock up cheaply for a few years.

10. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Man I have a headache, so much stuff just happened out of nowhere. I'm going to BWW for some wings and beers so that I can try to understand everything later.

That said, I think I've read this article before, but may need to re-read it tonight.

At least KJ McDaniels mom can be happy now. If anyone remembers she tweeted that the Sixers were "tanking and f.cking over her son." It seems KJ doesn't have a twitter account to follow, but I might go ahead and follow her once I track her account back down.

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The issue here is Josh Smith.

Specifically, because KJ is a 1st year player, the Rockets don't have his Early Bird Right, which allows them to match any offer up to basically the Non-taxplayer Mid-level salary. Instead, if KJ gets one of those "Lin/Asik" offers, Houston would have to use their own Non-taxplayer Midlevel Exception to match. He may well prove to be worth this kind of money, we'll see.

The issue here is that if HOU wants to retain Josh Smith, it will most likely have to spend all or a part of the MLE, too, unless Josh just accepts a low $ offer to stay with Houston and his pal Dwight.

Basically, the dilemma is 2 players, 1 MLE.

12. DarkHorse

That's probably the biggest potential fear at this point.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Hate to say it cause the guy has been great for the Rockets this year on the defensive end, but this trade definitely gives Morey options to move Ariza this Summer to free up cap space to be aggressive next Summer and year after.

Even if someone does the whole poison pill thing, it probably wouldn't matter at that point because the cap going up after next season. You might even PREFER a contract that is that much back loaded so you can make moves with cheaper money on the front end for 2015/16 & 2016.17.

14. thething

thething Contributing Member

I think the assumption was that we cannot resign Josh Smith because some team will pay him more than we are willing to give him. So he came on knowing he was a rental. Still a good move bringing him in, but I don't expect him back.

I don't like the KJ deal because we would give up flexibility on a long-term contract. Unless he signs for cheap. I still haven't figured it out yet.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

2 men enter

1 man MLE's

5 people like this.
  16. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

would rep this if i could

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Ah yes, flexibility, but seriously I haven't seen much of this guy but have heard good things about him. He seems like more than just an athlete. I saw a dunk he did where he threw it off the back board Tmac/Francis style after being stuck in the lane. Very savvy for a raw athlete so it seems he has good Bball IQ.

I saw a comparison to Kawhi lite which would be great but is it possible he could develop into a similar player to Jimmy Butler seems to play the game the same but will obviously have to improve his jumper. I like that he bet on himself so he must have a good drive to succeed. Very interesting high upside acquisition by Morley.

18. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

19. mdoggnic

mdoggnic Contributing Member

+1...

20. NotChandlerParsons

Nobody can "poison pill" us because he's not a 3-year free agent. They can however offer him a buttload of money.