1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your thoughts if any on Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Feb 11, 2015.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

what Barkley said was pathetic yes but I'm curious to think what ya'll think of Kenny Smith's actions in this as well. He just sits back and lets Shaq and Chuck just mumble stupidity for the franchise that made him who he was. Sure granted he really has no ties with the current personel but still THE ROCKETS are the reason he has two rings. That stupid rant he went about how analytics change over time? No shid Sherlock! Rockets knew that WITH YOU, he was a better catch and shoot 3 point shooter and his percentage went up his time here (analytics dumba$$).Don't act like you didnt disapper in the 1994 Finals and let Starks and Harper own your ass man. Just had to rant my thoughts concerning "The Jet"

1 person likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

Kenny is a smart dude. He knew what kind of idiotic statement Barkley just said and decided he had to say something. Anyone with half a brain knows Barkley was ridiculous.
    To be fair though, Morey kinda brought this onto himself, and the Rockets. I wish he could stay a little quiet, especially not making this kind of statements, in the future, given he is the current GM of this team. It is fine for JVG to poke fun at those guys, but probably not Morey, IMHO.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I excuse his statements because they were obviously ill-prepared for a rebuttal. Morey caught them off guard by throwing the first volley. I expect this to become the new point of discussion when the Rox are on TNT. Don't be surprised if Kenny changes his tune

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He pre-dated Barkley and Shaq on the network... and he'll probably out-last them on the network too.

I don't have a problem with what he said regarding his own experience... in fact, that's the sort of thinking that has spurred analytic-like data analysis in not pigeon-holing a player as somebody who can/cannot do something simply because of what a box score says.

Clearly, "analytics" haven't caused the Rockets coaching staff to ask Josh Smith to stop shooting 3's... perhaps the data shows that on this team, with wide open shots, and at certain spots on the floor, Josh Smith can be a very good 3 point shooter (and for the last several games, he has been).

5. joeson332

joeson332 Member

that's where I disagree. Morey has probably has had enough. Look back at Mark Cuban talking all that noise and D Morey finally shutting him down in the Woj article. Barkley we know has always been this way but never to this extent. IMO Morey has the absolute right to fire back, current GM or not, talk your mess boss.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He does a great job. He interrupts those clowns where there is chance at reasoning and proper debate.

When it's a totally stupid comment, which happens often he lets those two just go at it and ahve fun knowing full well that any sort of reasoning is beyond their vacuum filled brains

7. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Kenny is consistently good on that show. Barkley was caught in his feelings and started speaking on things he has no clue about

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Barkley is a known case. I mean which 50 year old insults another adult by saying you can't a girl in HS. Then why take a shot at him like that in the twitter space to invoke him. A little bizarre for my taste. That's all.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The problem with their discussion is no one on that panel appears to really understand (or is willing to discuss) how analytics is actually used and what its purpose is.

It just comes down to them seeing it as black or white, when it isn't. Yes, stats can be abused and used as a crutch for lack of real understanding into the nuances of the game. But that doesn't mean it can't have a meaningful role in how you construct a team and devise certain strategies. There are many very successful teams that have incorporated analytics into their system, the Spurs being a prime example.

10. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I honestly thought that Kenny brought up his "3 point shooting" thing as a counterpoint to Barkley saying how analytics sucked. I thought that the next point that he was about to make was that it never occurred to him that he would become more effective as an overall player if he started shooting more 3 pointers until the organization pointed it out to him, and that that was a point in FAVOR of analytics.

But then Barkley jumped back in and went off on his rant, and you could kind of see Kenny wilt and throw his hands up in the air. Seemed like a bad time for him to fight it and he just kind of laughed and went with the pile on.

That was my interpretation of events anyway.

Generally, though, I think EJ and Kenny are pretty good. I even like the dynamic with Barkley a bit. But Shaq has made the show unwatchable.

11. rocketblood713

No one defends The Rockets on that show but EJ Kenny sits back and listens but doesn't say anything

I'm glad Morey tweeted what he said about TNT someone has to fire back for us

12. HTown5933

HTown5933 Member

In Josh's last TWELVE games he's 19 of 38 on three's for 50%!

As far as Kenny, he DID somewhat briefly support Charles to Ernie by saying "They may have a better OFFENSE but a worse defense (than the Lakers and whoever else Ernie mentioned).

It's become beyond ridiculous the way all three of them (excluding Ernie) take shots at Dwight and the Rockets (and now Morey). I honestly can't stand to watch 'em anymore.

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Kenny's statement totally misses the point. Analytics exist to better predict how a player will perform when he goes from playing one role(primary scorer in SAC) to a different one(role player in Houston).

14. joeson332

joeson332 Member

guess it was just the heat of the moment for me as well, it really just irked me the wrong way.

15. rocketsmetalspd

The only problem I have with Kenny is his loyalty should be with the Rockets Organization like Magic with the Lakers. Kenny has let Barkley go on his rants against the Rockets and Kenny will agree with what Barkley has to say after he mumbles something in low voice.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Dont get me wrong I see your point! But if that's the game they want to play, known nut job or not, Morey tweet away.

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I mentioned this in the other thread but I'm pretty sure Kenny Smith wants to coach in the NBA but he is killing his chances by being part of (or a witness to) Barkley's idiotic rants. It's stupid by association and short of Kenny vigorously disagreeing with him and providing facts as to why Barkley is wrong then Kenny will continue to be looked at as nothing more than Chuck's sidekick.

On another note, I wonder how Barkley's (and Shaq's to a lesser degree) repeated tirades against the Rockets, its players and now its GM will affect scheduling for Rockets games on TNT. I'm not sure if the type of negative, misinformed idiocy he spews when our team is playing is what TNT wants to portray to fans. Maybe it is?

18. joeson332

joeson332 Member

look at Sam Casell, did a great job for the Wizards as an assitant not too sure where he is at now. Don't know about him getting a legitamate shot at a head coaching gig but at least he is working for it.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need to remember that Barkley, and to a lesser extent Kenny and Shaq are there as entertainers. Barkley says stupid crazy stuff because that is what get's ratings and keeps the show interesting. Kenny is basically a foil to Barkley but Barkley is such an oversized presence that Kenny doesn't get as much attention.

I put very little stock in what Kenny has to say on the show. He was a good player and an integral part of the two championship runs even though he was overshadowed by Cassel. Without his three point shooting in game one of 1995 the series might've been very different. I will remember him for that more than I will for anything he does on TNT.

As for Barkley. While he says a lot of stuff that pisses off Rockets fans he says a lot of stuff that pisses off a lot of fans from all over the NBA. Consider how many shots Mark Cuban takes at him, remember when he called San Antonio women fat, and the GS Warriors used to run an animation of their mascot throwing a pie at Barkley during games. He is essentially a professional troll meant to rile people up.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

TNT is his boss, his job is to keep the show entertained for the people who like to watch.

If people like to watch stupid sheet, that's the reason why the show will keep going in this format and that's Kenny's job not to mess with it.