1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are we better without Dwight?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by nabil474, Jan 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. nabil474

nabil474 Member

I have noticed, that our offense looks so dumbfounded when Dwight is in the game...his lack of post moves, and his easy missed hooks is extremely frustrated. Don't get me wrong his paint defense is ridiculously good...but is it just me or is our offense a little bit better with Howard out of the lineup.

1 person likes this.
  2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

You could have an argument that offensively we are better at times, but defensively no way. It's like a layup drill for the opposing team when Dwight is not out there.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

On offense yes, on defense no

4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

This has been discussed a million times, but....

The Rockets would be better off spending Dwights money on another star player and having a Deande Jordan clone survey the middle.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

True - our offense was extremely fluid in the Boston game.

Where do you find one of those?

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

On Offense no.... On Defense no...... When Dwight is healthy and playing the brand of basketball he can play we are just as good as anyone and titles contenders. Unfortunately this is not the Howard we have gotten therefor it appears like we are better without him on one end of the floor. If we had the real Howard we would be unstoppable and this would probably a dynasty era for The Rockets but we may never see that Howard. Same way we never got to Yao live up to his potential of dominance. Then again, who knows right? For now, I feel like DMO the better player. Ouch... Hurts me to say it...

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Offensively, yes. The ball and player movement is much smoother and shots(and free throws) that would normally go to Dwight are instead being spread around to others like D-Mo and Harden.

Defensively, no. They can get away with it against teams like Dallas that don't have a dominant post player, but if they have to play the likes of Memphis in the playoffs, they'll need Dwight in the 4th quarter to grab rebounds and shut down the paint. And yes, I know the Rockets demolished the Grizzlies sans Dwight earlier in the season, but I can't see them doing that 4 times in a 7 game series.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hmm I think this discussion is irrelevant, if Dwight isn't available for the playoffs and healed by then our playoff hopes are going to end quickly.

I'm hoping Dwight can play like he did last year in the playoffs, and takes plenty of time off during the regular season so Jones/DMo can get more PT while he heals. But come playoffs without a healthy Dwight the Rockets won't go far...

1 person likes this.
  9. omgTHEpotential

Hassan Whiteside!

10. bmd

bmd Member

Not really.

The offense is better with no Dwight than a hurt Dwight.

But if it's a healthy Dwight out there, he makes the team much better overall, and yes, even on offense.

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

on offense we are, on defense no not really, but Smith has picked up a lot of his slack.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Statistically, the Rockets have a better offensive and defensive rating with Dwight on the floor. People are caught up in the aesthetics and ignoring actual results. The Rockets are, quite obviously, a better team with Dwight Howard.

Having said that...he needs to be healthy. Let him rest and come back strong. Rockets are going nowhere without him anyway.

1 person likes this.
  13. newAge_Rockets

We're going to get outrebounded every single game without him. Our rim protection will be iffy, but the offense will be more open and free flowing.

14. JackLordsHair

JackLordsHair Member

Agree, trouble is we haven't seen Howard healthy since like the 8th game of the season or so, obviously defensively and rebounding are more problematic w/o him in there, but offensively we seem light years more fluid and dynamic than when we are forcing the ball into the low post with him and he either misses a bunny, a hook shot, a bank shot, or he does what he normally does which is commits a stupid offensive foul or turns the ball over - take your pick as either of those is more likely than a basket recently (with exception of 2-3 games since he returned).

It does look like Smith has stepped it up a notch and is more comfortable with his roll both on O and D, just wish he wouldn't take some of the stupid jumpers he tends to have a habit of doing....

15. mazinger

mazinger Member

Are you talking when he's hurt like the last while or when he's 100%?

1 person likes this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

No, we are not better without a healthy Dwight.

17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

smh. stop it.

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

I guess while he was hurt because people have old 386 PC memory

19. rocketblood713

On offense I do but not defense

20. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Really? How did we only score 9 points in the 3rd then?

1 person likes this.