1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Wake up Mr. West] Time to think about acquiring David from Indy?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steddinotayto, Jan 30, 2015.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

With the WojBomb reporting that Howard could, potentially, miss an extend amount of time is it time for the Rockets front office to evaluate acquiring David West from Indy?

Playoff Tested
    While the front court group of Josh Smith, TJones, DMo, and Dorsey can sustain Howard's absence in the regular season, there's not one among them that has been tested in the playoffs and succeeded. Sure Smith is the most seasoned vet in among the four and have seen the playoffs during his time in ATL but if we are to think about the worst case scenario (a limited Howard for the playoffs or no Howard at all) adding a bruiser like David West could give us that veteran presence in the front court.

Deepest front court in the NBA
    Add West to Smith, Jones, and Dmo and you have a potent front court rotation. Once Howard comes back, it will be the deepest front court in the NBA hands down. West also has a good mid-range game coupled with decent post play. We haven't even discussed his ability to defend at an above average level and his penchant to bang down low with the best of them.

Contractual Flexbility....sort of
    By all accounts David West is reportedly ready to retire after this season. Despite those reports, he's still a solid contributor (13/7/47%/79%) this year. With only one year left on his contract (and a player option at that) at $12.6 million, it could be sort of a win-win acquisition:

a. The experiment doesn't work out, West retires and comes off the books this summer.
    b. The experiment works out and instead of worry about re-signing Josh Smith (and regretting it) in the Summer, West comes back for one last season and would come off the books next summer.

Lower price of admission
    At 17-31 as of today, Indy is only 2 games behind Charlotte for the 8th seed. Kemba Walker is out for a while but I still don't see Indy eeking out enough wins to get that 8th spot. That being said, I think the pieces needed to acquire West would be more reasonable than trying to acquire other players of need (e.g. Lawson, Dragic, Rubi:rolleyes:, Eric G:rolleyes:rdon, etc.) because, well, he's older. Terry and Shved's expiring will be a part of a package and I'd think a young player or draft pick could seal the deal. Is giving up Terry's perimeter shooting and other parts worth David West? It might not look like it now but come May, West could be very valuable for this team....with or without Howard coming back.

I know it's our preference to acquire a playmaker like a Lawson or Dragic before the deadline but with Howard's new status I think the higher priority now is to have a security blanket in the event that Howard misses more time than what he hoped for.

1 person likes this.
  2. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I would give them Dorsey and 2 seconds and a player from a third team.

3. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I guess put Jones at the 2. The dude grew up as a guard apparently

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

0/10 for trolling
    0/10 for logic
    1/10 for efforts

5. rocketseagles07

As much as I'd like to have west I don't think it happens for two reasons:

#1- We have a logjam at the position. Josh came here knowing he'd get minutes. He's already sacrificed starting for the sake of the team, and if we did get west who loses playing time when Howard comes back? I feel like T Jones/D-MO/Smith all deserve playing time

#2- He doesn't really fit the offense. Now I'm not saying I necessarily agree with the 3's/layups offense or that we shouldn't adjust to having really good players. But the Rockets are almost trained to play a certian way. I can't see us going down the court and consistently giving him the ball while he works in the post.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Last game, late in the 4th, McHale even tried a almost full F lineup against the Mavs with Harden, TJ, Josh, Brewer, Ariza on the floor.

So you want McHale to try the ultimat FFFFF lineup with West ?

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

McHale was a F so it would actually be

FFFFF-F

8. steddinotayto

The hypothetical in getting West would be more for the playoffs than the regular season. Of course the rotations shrink down to probably a 7 or 8 man rotation and if Howard comes back, you're looking at divvying up significant playoff minutes to Jones, DMo, Smith and West at the PF position. Out of that group of 4, which two player would you pick? Lets say you slide DMo over as the back up center spot so he can get floor time. You would have Smith, Jones, and West left...I'd think most would pick West and either Smith or Jones.

As far as fit within the offense, I don't think Smith fits within the offense either. Of course if you think he's a 3 point shooter then, yea, by all means. West gets most of his points near the basket peppered in with some mid-range game which I think fits in with our philosophy of either shooting from outside or getting easy buckets around the basket.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if we dont hvae dwight at 100% for the playoffs then its a waste to get west over here. and he has an player optin for over 12mil next season.

having dmo and jones get extra time only helps their development and smith helps solidify the frontcourt with dorsey and ariza for small ball. we should use DPE to get a defensive 7footer who'd accept a min contract for the rest of the season. its only for half a season and wont have to play much so its possible.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Deepest front court would look more like a huge logjam imo.

Dmo needs consistent minutes to produce, Jones needs his minutes to get back into a grove, Smith needs minutes to keep happy, and Dorsey is our garbage time or foul trouble guy, Capela gets called up if any injuries, as well as Papanikolaou sliding down to the 4 spot.

Our front court is solid, don't think acquiring another bigman who will want minutes is a good idea unless we are shipping someone out.

11. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

David West isn't going to play any center minutes.

There is no hole at PF.

Also, the Rockets aren't winning a title with their highest-paid player in a suit anyways, so planning for that contingency is kind of pointless.

12. kemah

kemah Member

West? No we need a big tall defensive minded center that is cheap that we can cast off after the year is over.

13. dragician

dragician Member

DMo is better.

14. House of Pain

House of Pain Member

If we miraculously make this acquisition can we and the assumption that McHale has a fetish for forwards, much like Kubiak had a fetish for TEs?

15. PooleBoi7

PooleBoi7 Member

How 'bout not...

16. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

And I heard em say, nothin's ever promised tomorrooooooow todaaaaay

17. steddinotayto

LOL to be honest has having too many forwards ever stopped Morey from acquiring MORE forwards?

I respect most of the responses here and, yes, on the surface it looks weird to acquire a power forward (when we already have 3) when he can't replace Howard at the center position. However....

1. Why can't McHale run out a front court that has DMo at center and West at power forward and rotate Jones and Smith around during the game. Yes, you're going to have to find meaningful minutes for all four but those four players are prone to having cold nights where having another guy could be useful.

2. As far as his contract, like I said before, it's been reported that West is ready to retire at season's end. What better way to go for West out than to get into the playoffs and have a puncher's chance at a ring? His player option for next year is far from a 100% sure thing. And if he picks up said player option then we can let Josh Smith go if his asking price is too high.

If the reports about Howard getting a second opinion are true and what Cyberx told us about internal discussion and fear regarding his knees are accurate, the time to win has to be this year and the next while Howard is still under contract.

18. hakeemthagreat

West is better than any PF we have. Would trade for him any day of the week

19. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Is Paul George coming with ???

20. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Morey's analytics only calculate left handed PF's