1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden showing on-court leadership

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Jan 29, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought this gif deserved it's own thread. See Harden push Bev and lecture him? I'm pretty sure I've seen Duncan do that to Parker.

Apologies for not finding another thread. Do a search for the word "leader" in a title in the GARM. There are a lot inquiring about "Emotional Leader," "Veteran Leader" "Leader: Harden or Howard."

I think Harden's actions here deserve a new thread in a sea of inquiring leadership threads.

#1 heypartner, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Glad to see him do it. I always thought of him as passive when it came to getting teammates in line...

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Honestly... the more I watch this, the more it looks like the "good job" shove-me-then-I-shove-you-back thing Harden & Bev always do. It really doesn't make sense that Harden would push him towards Parsons if he was trying to diffuse what he perceived as a situation between those two.

Go on, attack me. :p

1 person likes this.
  4. Exiled

Exiled Member

I was a bit surprised about this thing:

When Tyson C. Shoved Harden , they called it a common foul. But when just the opposite happened , it was a flagrant 1.

Glad he did though.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If you watch the original video Harden and Bev clearly start arguing after the .gif here ends.

I don't know if it was a calm down Bev argument or a leave Parsons alone argument lol.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

I think it's easy for anyone to realize that Harden has become an amazing leader. He's a high IQ player with great leadership. I'm still not sure if he's great at pre-game huddle speeched, but I don't think Lebron or Durant are great at that either. I really think that after Harden finishes his career he's probably going to be a coach. Out of all the new class players(meaning 2007 draft to now) I think Harden is probably the best leader out of them. With John Wall and Paul George trailing just a little.

Harden shoved Bev for like 3 reasons. 1. Don't get that technical. 2. Don't make this game anymore than it should be. 3. Parsons is still their friend no matter what.

7. kemah

kemah Member

Bev best do as Harden says and never talk back to the leader.

1 person likes this.
  8. baubo

baubo Member

I suggest that people listen to the new Lowe podcast with JVG. In addition to the fact that JVG’s rants are always entertaining, his talk about what makes an all-star in having to lead is really interesting.

Basically, and I paraphrase/summarize here when the subject was Cousins as an All-Star, JVG said that superstars must lead off the court. By being active in meetings, by being coachable, by being leading by example, etc. If you go by JVG’s saying, that would probably where Harden distinguishes himself from other guys with huge stats like Kevin Love or DeMarcus Cousins.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Good job by Harden. Bev has a tendency to over-react.

Dont be a Parsons. Let your play do the talking,

10. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL....Sneaky McHale, getting the refs attention to avoid the "T"!...;)

1 person likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

I thought so too when I saw it live... but the way Beverley reacted tells me Harden had a few words for him.

12. Zbed

Zbed Member

Harden has blossomed into a full on leader/superstar/MVP this year and I'm glad to see it.

13. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

The most beautiful part about Harden's leadership is that he knows when to trust and defer to his teammates. Never do you see him jawing at someone to give him the ball or forcing iso plays unnecessarily.

Much like his "go with the flow demeanor" he let's the game come to him...until he has to shift to MVB mode.

As an aside, this has to be a reflection of McHale's coaching style as well.

14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I think only reason Harden did it was because Parsons is still his friend

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Ill give him till about 30 to mature. Hes having his iverson moment right now

16. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I didn't think that was a great move by Harden. Bev was done talking and had changed direction toward the Rockets' bench so there wasn't going to be a technical or an altercation. Then, as KlutchQT said, Harden pushes him toward the Dallas bench. Finally, to me, that was a hard shove for a dude that you're trying to cool down. Harden could have grabbed him or walked around and put himself between Bev and the Dallas bench (although, like I said, Bev was already walking away). I half expected Bev to swing on Harden in that scenario. You don't try to manhandle a dude that is already that mad without expecting the anger to be turned on you regardless of the relationship.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw it the same way heypartner did. As in (my own words), "Focus on the game, not that *******. We don't need a T." Something like that, but more colorful, I suspect. I like seeing it. At first glance, I understand how someone might think he was giving Bev a "Yeah!!" kind of shove, but that's not what it was, in my opinion. As for the strength of the shove, Harden's built like a 6'5" tank. Not sure if he can give less of a shove than we saw there. ;-)-

18. Progs

Progs Member

Bev needs to realize his role. Dude is a third string point guard acting like he is boss. He has been terrible this season overall. Needs to start hitting that 3 again or he should be benched.

19. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

3rd string point guard? Come on now -- the man was on an all nba defense team last season, and he has improved his shooting since then.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

FsPGoF FTW!

(Fifth string PG only Fan)