1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Front court Conundrum

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyT43, Jan 29, 2015.

1. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

After watching Terrence Jones in action last night, he seems to be like his old self: running the floor, jumping out of the building and blocking shots.

With Jones back, it begs the question: What is the front court rotation going to be?

Being the rocket homer that I am, I envision Jones playing next to Dwight in the starting lineup while DMO shifts to the 5 playing along Smoove on the bench.

However, knowing that our GM milks every last drop out of his assets, the bell is tolling for DMO or TJones, it is simply only a matter of time.

Those are my thoughts, what do the clutchfans have to say?

2. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

I want them both, i dont think we can keep Smith next year can we? Bima would be the guy that could answer that. If we trade one and lose smith then we are back at square one.

3. bmd

bmd Member

Yep . I think they gotta keep all of them.

4. mockster

mockster Member

Honestly not to long ago I was down to trade t jones but now I'm not so sure. It's just a lot of talent in the front court with d Howard, jones, dmo and smith. Unless you can slip in jones at SF every now n then which is less minutes for somone then idk. We could easily use this situation though to nab a good trade and rockets may be thinking that.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My position for a while has been to keep both TJones and DMo until you can't for salary cap reasons, or until you get presented with an awesome trade offer that is too good to refuse. No need to trade one of them just cuz you might have to do it anyway down the road.

JSmoove is a one-year deal. Unless he's taking far under market-value to stay with us, he'll be elsewhere next season.

As far as this season...

I'm not really concerned about who starts next to Dwight. It remains to be seen if TJones and DMo really care about that or if they just care about winning, but I could see us starting different PFs depending on matchups.

30 minutes for Dwight
    5 minutes for Dorsey
    20 minutes for Smoove/TJones/DMo, giving more minutes to whomever earns them on that given night.

That'd be an ideal scenario. Don't know if egos will let it happen, but I like the place we're in with our frontcourt and I'm in no real rush to change it.

6. archinkent

archinkent Member

TJones does fit better with Dwight.

It's only been one game though, let's see how he does in a few games. For now, I am satisfied with Dmo starting.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rest Howard for as much as possible, even a month if possible and allow Jones and Dmo to grow.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hopefully Jones is his new self. His old self isn't that good.

9. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Considering that Howard isn't available, that Dorsey is Dorsey and that Motiejunas is pretty inconsistent and still has nights where he just vanishes - it's not a conundrum, it's a necessity to keep both.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well, with Dwight likely to be out for a while, I think Jones moves back into the starting lineup alongside D-Mo who'll play at the 5. Smith is the first backup big man off the bench as usual. And Dorsey gets a few minutes if needed due to foul trouble or matchups.

If/when Dwight comes back, then the Rockets can decide if Jones or D-Mo is the better fit in the starting lineup. But odds are Dwight ain't gonna be back til after the trade deadline, so I can't imagine Morey would deal either forward unless there was a really good player(i.e. Dragic) available.

11. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Agree fully. The irony is (especially with Morey) is that DM might trade Dwight Howard if the knee problem is really serious and he gets a quality player in return. With the Pelican's pick (and/or NY's #2) we can draft a solid center with upside. I know this is heresy ... at this moment ... but Rocket fans must look at all the alternatives.

12. shsu33

shsu33 Member

Having 4 bigs is not a problem, Papa can get spot min at 4 Dorsey can get spot min at 5 *If need be! All 96 min at 4&5 should be Howard, Dmo, Smith and Jones. Injuries and/or foul trouble should be only reason you see Papa or Dorsey during regular play. Most teams are lucky to get 3 dependable bigs, we have 4 that are more than just dependable and we need all of them.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't think so. If the knee problem is serious, why would another team take on that contract? It's not like it's an expiring deal next season unless Dwight guarantees he'll opt out. Besides, no way the Rockets give up on him(nor should they) til they find out for sure what's ailing him. If he's deteriorating rapidly, then I would hope his current contract is his last one with the Rockets unless he's willing to take a massive paycut in 2016(or 2017).

14. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

i think morey will trade papa before dmo or tjones

15. mockster

mockster Member

In the end josh smith > everybody. Jones and dmo aren't bad defenders but against elites they sink. Josh smith isn't always great against elite PFs either but as we saw those blocks on chandler he can bang with the bigs. To me he's a much better defensive player and presence them jones and dmo

16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

That's the truth. That's why we will be a better playoff team this year.

17. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

The time for stability is now, Adelman would be in heaven. Unless they are basically given a point guard, Morey has a mental issue if he continues to make moves. These guys need to find a way to win. Dwight's knee being the major wild card.

18. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

It's a great problem to have. I love our forward rotation with Ariza, Brewer, Smith, D-mo and now add Jones into the mix. We have such versatility and athleticism at both forward positions I think between injuries and nightly match ups there's enough room for all of them to get minutes. Especially as Jones works himself back into shape. I don't think anyone is headed for the trading block unless someone proves to be head and shoulders above the rest of the roster. Canaan, Dorsey, Schved and Papa are headed for 3 string duty.

19. kemah

kemah Member

lol

It will up to Smith if he wants to play next year with us. Detroit is paying his salary next year also and he can sign again with us at the vet minimum. Even if he gets more money from another team the salary is subtracted from his Detroit salary so he makes the same. Of course I could be wrong so Bima Thug is the expert on this.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

If Howard is breaking down you need to keep both. I think they fit well together with DMO at the 5 and TJones at the 4.