1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

End of an Era

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DudeWah, Jan 23, 2015.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

The latest Kobe injury made me start thinking a bit. His career is likely finally about to be over. Kobe is one of the last hold-outs from the late 90's and very early 00's draftees that have come to define this league in the recent past.

The NBA has had some trademark players for almost 15-20 years now. Some of them have recently retired while others continue to still play. All these players are reaching the ends of their careers. It's amazing some of them lasted this long. These players have been generational stars though.

The list of hold-outs nearing the end includes:
    -Kobe
    -KG
    -Duncan
    -Nash
    -Nowitzki
    -Wade
    -Vinsanity
    -Pierce
    -Allen

They'll join the list of their fellow stars from that era who "recently" retired:
    -Tracy McGrady
    -Allen Iverson
    -Shaq
    -Kidd
    -Billups
    -Webber
    <br>
    With these players no longer in the league soon enough. Basically all the players (minus a couple) who dominated the league from the late 90's up until now will be out of the league.

The old guard is gone and a new one is emerging. These players were transcendent talents that really gave the NBA "big name players" in almost every market. Who will take their place?

What are your opinions on the new generation of talents in the NBA? Do these guys have the raw "star power" that the old generation did?

I'm not sure if anyone outside of Davis, Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Curry, and Wiggins has that sort of appeal.

There's a long list of "stars" to replace.

#1 DudeWah, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its Durant and LeBron's league for now.
    With Harden and Anthony Davis quickly rising to near superstar status.
    Curry could become such an offensive threat that he could be considered a superstar as well; Lillard could follow in the same vein.
    Rose, if he returns to form is a definite star.
    Rondo is a wash; no idea if he'll ever become the Rondo of old.
    CP3 is still alive, so is Blake Griffin.

Let's not write off the possibility of a Bosh or Melo revival. They aren't washed up just yet and better teammates could revive their careers briefly.

There are a lot of stars being eclipsed by their fellow star teammates right now.
    Late 90's and early 2000's era was great because there weren't really any superteams outside of the Spurs and the Lakers.

CP3 - Hornets.
    Howard - Magic.
    T-Mac - Magic/Rockets.
    Francis - Rockets.
    Kobe/Shaq - Lakers.
    Duncan/Parker/Ginobili - Spurs.
    Wade - Heat.
    Bosh - Raptors.
    Dirk - Mavericks.
    Vince Young - Nets/Raptors.
    LeBron - Cavaliers.
    Durant/Westbrook/Harden - Thunder.
    Amar'e/Nash - Suns.
    KG - Timberwolves.
    Ray Allen - Bucks.
    Pierce - Celtics.

Etc.

For that small decade, teams were very spaced out in terms of talent.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Woah now, you're forgetting one of the most important 90s players ;)

[​IMG]

4. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Well the early 2000's was more like this:

Baron Davis - Hornets
    Kidd - New Jersey
    Iverson - Philly
    Carter, later Bosh - Raptors
    Allen - Bucks
    Lebron - Cavs
    Wade - Miami
    Kobe/Shaq - Lakers
    Stackhouse, later Billups/Sheed/Hamilton - Pistons
    McGrady - Magic
    Webber - Kings
    Brand - Clippers
    J.O./Artest/Miller - Pacers
    KG - Wolves
    Nowitzki/Nash - Dallas
    Duncan/Robinson/Manu - Spurs
    Yao - Rockets

The era was probably pretty weak in general. But it's crazy how much star appeal the big name players from that time had and the amount of time they have had it for.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

While older, wouldn't include Wade. He was c/o 2003, part of the "new era" and maybe has some time left.

Those others, the clock is definitely ticking.

Yeah, no. Sorry, as good as these guys are today [or may become], don't think they hold a candle to the old guys.

1995: Kevin Garnett
    1996: Ray Allen, Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash, Jermaine O'Neal,
    1997: Tim Duncan
    1998: Vince Carter, Dirk Nowitzki, Paul Pierce, Al Harrington, Nazr Mohammed, Rashard Lewis
    1999: Elton Brand, Andre Miller, Shawn Marion, Jason Terry, Andrei Kirilenko, Manu Ginobili
    2000: Kenyon Martin, Mike Miller, Jamal Crawford, Hedo Turkoglu,
    2001: Tyson Chandler, Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Zach Randolph, Brendan Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Sam Dalembert, Tony Parker,
    2002: Mike Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Nene, Amar'e Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, John Salmons, Carlos Boozer, Matt Barnes, Rasual Butler, Luis Scola
    2003: 'New era'

95-97: 2 years max
    98-00: 2-3 years
    01-02: Still some 'ball left [for some of those guys]

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Dirk and Wade are still good for another 3-4 years.

8. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I wouldn't say Kobe is done for good though. But that whole era of players did last a decent 17-18 years, the guys that defined the 80s like Bird, Magic, Thomas, M. Malone, Wilkins, King really only had a big time hold on the league for about 12 ('79 to around '91). Guys from the late 80s early 90s like Jordan, Dream, Barkley, Stockton and Malone, Ewing etc. also had it for another 11 or 12, around '87 to I'd say '98. Then it's this era that's about to close. This era of players that we're currently in, at the pace that players seem to last in the league, will probably last another 17 or even up to 20 years since it started around 2010. Wall, Davis, Harden, Curry, Lillard etc will all be old farts about to retire I would say around '28 or '30.

9. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

NBA in the early 2000's were the best because that's when everybody was in their prime and when the All Star Games were fun to watch. IMO

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I assume "everybody" means the guys the OP listed, right? Otherwise, every year, some stars are in their prime.

But then you are basically claiming that this group of players are the best of NBA ever. I am sure a lot of old timers would disagree.

11. split41

split41 Member

Everybody looks back on the past with rose-coloured glasses. Everyone will have a different era they think is the best, due to their own nostalgia. Honestly, this is a golden age of basketball - Let me rattle off some "stars" LeBron, Durant, Cp3, D12, Harden, Curry (will hold 3-pt records for sure - if nothing catastrophic happens), Davis, Wall, Cousins, Griffin, Lillard, Aldridge, Rose etc.

I wouldn't say it's the best, but there are so many stacked teams that you don't know who will win on a given night, let alone a playoff series.

Those previous eras were very star-driven, you could be a great team with one star player. Now the league has a lot more talent, and thus a team like the pelicans can't even crack the top 8, despite Davis playing like a ******* beast.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Hey now, Marbury is still playing, too.

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Lebron is only 6 years younger than Kobe -- hard to believe he's already 30 yo.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're way off. The 80's and 90's had some great ball.

Outside of LeBron, Durant, CP3 and Harden, everyone else is either overrated for their expected talent or not proven. Where are Hakeems, David Robinsons, Ewing, Shaqs, Duncans.

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Maybe we have a shortage of big-men this generation, but the perimeter players haven't really taken that big of a step down.

Davis, especially, is looking like he's going to become a superstar.
    Maybe Embiid becomes the next star lol.

16. joeson332

joeson332 Member

so sad. So so sad

17. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think it's a bit of a different situation. Those guys came in right after Jordan's era ended. There was this really large vacuum that needed to be filled not just in terms of talent, but also in the sense of transcending the game and becoming a cultural icon. None of those guys really did that, and only Shaq was able to really dominate on a Jordan like level.

Instead, we had all of the guys mentioned above spread out all over the league. I didn't really notice it because I was about seven years old at the time, but in the early 2000s, almost every market had either a star or a young and upcoming guy. I think, if this next draft pans out, we'll see something similar.

18. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think the game in the last 4-5 years changed a lots than the 90's and early 00'.

The pace is much faster, the game became more physical.

Low post play and traditional center is a past tense.

Teams will run more and shot more 3s.

You will see more players with higher and crazier numbers this generation and probably the next 4-5 years.

But on the same time, their career will be shorter than before.

I don't know if this is a good idea but I think its much more difficult to build a dynasty under this type of playing style.

I think having a good GM and coach will become more and more important in this league, you will need to constantly reload or rebuild fast to be competitive.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

game became less physical

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

in terms of contact and fight, yes.

in terms of physical spent on the floor, no.

I don't have the numbers to support me, but I would believe the overall injuries in this era are much more than the previous.