1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Spacing and movement

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jan 21, 2015.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Are the fundamental flaws on this team. Not effort. Not injuries.

It's why DMo/Howard doesn't work for long stretches. It's why Harden can be shut down by good defensive teams.

Think back to 2 seasons ago. Our smallball lineup of Lin, Harden, Parsons, Delfino, and Asik destroyed teams. Why? Because we had 4 guys that could drive and shoot, and Delfino could hold down the PF slot reasonably well.

It's what GSW is doing to us right now, and it's what we should ultimately look like.

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Well i was going to wait to bring this up for a couple of days but i personally miss big papa playing. He is very crafty and a good passer. There seems to be much more ball movement while he is on the floor. He also provides energy at all times.

I realize brewer stole his spot in the lineup but i still feel like he should see 10 mpg or so. I'd like to see him steal minutes from smith and run more small ball lineups.

3. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We just need a stretch 4

4. NotChandlerParsons

Spacing and movewhat? I don't know what that **** is, I've been watching Rockets basketball for the last two years.

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We still have a bit of a personnel issue. No big deal, this team isn't a finished product.

6. StonesRunIt

StonesRunIt Member

Our offense is incredibly predictable with no pressure releases, counters or consistent fluidity. We are way too Harden reliant.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I agree, but it's been tough watching this team for the last 1.5 years. We played such beautiful ball at times in Harden's first year here....I hoped that it was a sign of better things to come.

It's amazing that Morey can remain so patient. I would've made the necessary moves to fix our roster issues by now, but he keeps waiting and waiting.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Exactly why we look like **** in the post season or against good defensive team. They basically speed up the pace and play a pickup ball game. When teams tighten the clamps, that stuff doesn't fly.

9. jk103

jk103 Member

I'm just not sure Dwight's knees will last long enough to see this team through to a finished product.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Ignore that poster, he lives in a fantasy land and wouldn't mind 10 straight 1st round exits if it came to it.

11. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

I rather have put starting lineup consist of
    C- Dwight(unfortunately)
    F- DMO (post scorer who needs to work on his 10-17ft jumpers to be an even bigger threat)
    F- PaP (great passer & hustles, also doesn't shoot everytime he gets the ball like Ariza or Smith. Very high basketball IQ)
    G- Harden
    G- Canaan (can create his own shot)
    Backups:
    Smith (good passer)
    Ariza (steals)
    Brewer (hustles & steals)
    JT( scorer)
    Bev(ok defense and desent scorer would keep the second unit competing)

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

It's because:

-we replaced Papa and Dorsey (yes Dorsey) with Josh "the bonehead" Smith in the rotation.
    -Bev provides nothing at the PG spot while Canaan and Shved rot in purgatory.
    -Dwight Howard is injured or doesn't give a ****. It's equally likely to be either.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OMFG - yes, I was saying the same thing in the game thread, we don't move the ball or our bodies, everyone stand around watching Harden, except DMo who is always in motion.

The off the ball movement of Howard, Ariza and Beverley is really bad - they need to come set screens, move, cut, and make themselves an available target.

Right now, Harden is holding the ball far too long trying to do far too much - and the team is dying.

And in the 2nd unit you take out Papa who moves the ball and his body and put in Smith who pounds the ball like Harden and wallah.

Chemistry spill.

DD

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Our movement was really good earlier this year. But we brought in a known ball stopper in Josh Smith. Papa got buried on the bench. Ariza's shooting fell off the face of the earth. Jason Terry started showing his age. Canaan got buried on the bench. Dwight came back from injury too soon. Bev turned into an infinitely less talented Steve Francis. And with all that our team lost the things that made it good except for James Harden.

1 person likes this.
  15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Spacing and movement is all about EFFORT and HEART!

16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty much this.

Our offense should improve some with Jones back. Smith was a colossal failure.

And I agree with the OP, Howard/DMo doesn't work too well, Jones probably fits better in the starting lineup even though DMo has gotten to be better individually.

DMo will probably start the rest of the season though so I'd like to see the same 3 man rotation we have now except replace Smith with Jones.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

EFFORT and HEART is all about using your CAPS key.

1 person likes this.
  18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I think Howard and D-Mo could work as long as there is one other player on the court who can break his man off the dribble and/or make a play for one of our big guys. Or hell, even someone who can effectively pass into the post at the right time.

Sadly this is not the case.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Well, Jones can break his man down off the dribble and get to the rim, not at an elite level or anything but better than DMo can, that's the one area where he is better. We could certainly use him in the starting unit.

He also runs the floor better than most people we have on the roster.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I actually agree. But it's not likely that Jones will get inserted back in the starting line-up this season like you already mentioned, for obvious reasons.

Then again, it's McHale, so who knows.