1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't Make the Same Mistake Twice, Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TimmyTurnup, Jan 9, 2015.

?

DMO, T-Jones, or J Smoove?

1. Donatas Motiejunas

110 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. Terrence Jones

10 vote(s)
    8.0%
  3. Josh Smith

5 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. TimmyTurnup

TimmyTurnup Member

Hey guys! First post here so bare with me please.

In 2011, we had two up and coming players. They were smart, fast, hardworking, and do-whatever-it-takes-for-that-starter position players who did their jobs well. However, there was a big problem: they both had the same job. Kyle Lowry and Goran Dragic both had bright careers though their unstable positions with the Rockets. One, Kyle, was more of a gritty and tough guy who drove into lanes with strength. The other, Goran, used his silky smoothness to get his way with his opponents. Today, Lowry is in MVP contention while Dragic is leading his team to a playoff position in the stacked West. We let both of them go. Both.

In 2015, we have two guys in the same situation except in a different position: Jones and DMO. Jones is more of a clean-up guy with above-average-for-his-position handles and shooting. DMO is a post up killer who shimmies his way into the basket. Both fit well with Dwight though in different ways. Both have been working their asses off to earn that starting spot in a championship team. Both are young and have a bright future ahead of them. Both fit better on this team than Josh Smith. So the real question is: what do we do with them?

In my opinion, DMO is the better player. He can post up, do this, blah blah blah. Bottom line: the Rockets look smoother whenever he's on the floor. I'd rather have DMO post up with Dwight the garbage man rather than Dwight post up with T-Jones the garbage man. DMO posting up and Dwight playing PnR/Rebounder is perfect for this team. We're playing to our strengths, and we have an identity down low. It just..fits. DMO is a solid 7 footer who can post up and defend well. He's going to get paid, and I really hope that it's the Rockets doing the paying.

But what about T-Jones? Well, he'll be playing back-up. Let's face it, Josh Smith isn't playing well and once he does start getting it together a healthy T Jones would do his job better. I don't foresee J Smoove staying a Rocket unless he takes a paycut to be with his friend Dwight. Even then, DMO>healthy Jones>Smith. Jones just got unlucky with the nerve issue. He's been making progress every year, and I'm sure that once he's 100% his hard work will pay off. Unfortunately, it just wasn't his year. Nevertheless, when he comes back, he'll make our depth better. I'm not taking a crack at T-Jones, it's just that we have two up and coming players at the position and the other just happens to be a better fit.

Don't make the same mistake twice, Morey.

TLDR: DMO is better than Jones and should be looked as the future at the 4 even though both players have bright futures.

1 person likes this.
  2. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

thank you for letting us know what we already know.

3. amazingskills

amazingskills Member

many people dont know this and think the grass is greener overthere...more than you think....5 star thread...

4. TimmyTurnup

TimmyTurnup Member

Come on man. It's my first post and I'm trying really hard to make something interesting. If there's already another thread/poll precisely like this one then mods feel free to delete this. Other than that, add fuel to the fire instead of trying to extinguish it.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If we didn't trade Lowry, we wouldn't have Harden.

6. conquistador#11

when someone is shooting a tid bit good , like 70% you feed the big man the bol!

i call this new movement of basketball, hakeembol.

7. TimmyTurnup

TimmyTurnup Member

I'm sure Morey could've given them something else. It's not like that pick was a deal breaker.

8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It's not a bad thread because we all think about it, but what are we voting on?

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How do u know that

10. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

what exactly are we voting on here?

11. TimmyTurnup

TimmyTurnup Member

Who'd you rather have at the 4 spot going into the future!

12. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

lettin Dragon go was a mistake, but I dont blame Morey for that, I blame Les, he wanted Lin so he could make money

13. TimmyTurnup

TimmyTurnup Member

I was actually reading up on an AMA Morey did on reddit and he said this

[​IMG]

14. wise_man

wise_man Member

I would trade tjones, k-pap and a second rounder for ryan anderson in a heartbeat. Then trade capella and pelicans first for dragic. Morey strategy of , free throws, points in paint and threes is good except we have players who cant shoot free throws and three pointers. Our second unit is good cos ,they have terry and brewer shooting good %%%% threes. Our starting 5 are horrible, howard , d-mo/smith/tjones, beverly, ariza and hardeen who cant shoot s**t from three point line. Atlanta Hawks are a better version of what morey was trying to do in houston. Come playoffs and double teaming of hardeen we wont go past the first round. ..yet again. And lastly mchale? ??????????? I have better chances of making to the nba at 35 than mchale winning a championship with the rox as a coach.

15. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

bro, Morey is not god, he can't predict the future. We should be happy that we have Harden and Dwight on our team. Dmo is getting better each game, I dont think anybody here wants to trade him now. T Jones was good earlier season, but we don't know how well he's going play when he comes back, ***** we dont even know if hes coming back.

16. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Timmy,

Not a horrible thread at all,but the general comparison of our PF position to Lowry and Dragic is a little off bc we aren't at the position where we are facing resigning or letting Dmo or tjones go.

I do agree with you that Dmo is the future 4/5, and he fits e the starters better. Part is his post up ability, but it is equally important that he is a ball mover and strong team defender. Much better at executing e team defensive plan and moving his feet as compared to tjjones.

All this said, the pick we got for Lowry was THE key asset to getting Harden, and to suggest otherwise really screwed up your credibility.

(Lastly, it's "bear" with me, not "bare" with me...unless you are asking Clutchfans members to take off their clothes with you).

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No, it was the central piece to the trade.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

D-Mo is clearly the best of the 3 players. He has plenty of deficiencies in his game still, namely his p-sspoor rebounding(when Dwight sits, other teams kill us on the offensive boards). But he's by far the most polished offensively and he still has a ton of upside given how young he is.

T-Jones and Smith are redundant. Smith is better defensively. Jones is a marginally better shooter and more athletic. But there's no way both will be with the team much longer, certainly not heading into next season.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Lowry is "gritty" and "tough" while the Euro PG uses "silky smoothness." :rolleyes:

Does Goran also use his high bball IQ and deceptive athleticism, too?

20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I think the more salient question is what happens w josh smith when tjjones comes back.

Smith is a bonehead on offense but gives us defense and rebounding that tjjones can't. We either showcase tjjones as a trade asset or say screw it and give smith the chance to improve his boneheaded ness.