1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

After Game 2 of Smith, and Game 1 with the most talented starting line up (in their prime) for the R

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I am still apprehensive on whether or not Smith is going to work here.

I love his BB IQ, playing the passing lanes and being in good position on D, but will he force his way into the team needing his 20 touches on offense and his whining and cussing out the refs every other trip up the floor?

Typically, refs swallow their whistle when they are b****ed at constantly right? (See Steve Francis)

I guess my question is does he mold into a cog in the Rockets machine, or does he force everyone else to mold to him? Does he realize that he is the 3rd/4th best player on the team, and not the number 1, 2, or even the 3rd offensive option when he is on the floor? And if he doesn't will he create locker room issues? If he does fit, and try to play together, this is by far the most talented (in their prime) top to bottom roster I have seen as a Rockets fan. (including the 94-97 teams)

Thoughts?

2. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

they all need to stop complaining about the calls as much as the good guys do, not just JSmooth... :eek: maybe try reverse psychology.

3. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Honestly, no one knows. That's why the coaches are trying to find out what we have. And Morey is trying to see if he needs to trade for Dragic or another playmaker. He got Shved and Smith. Will they be enough on our team?

Just be patient. Even with our poor shooting and TOs, we had a chance to win in the endgame. A championship contender isn't built in a single game or a single week.

4. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

I like the tone of our Defense now. I feel like when Josh Smith showed up, Ariza found a new spark to set him on a tear. Last night he played to passing lanes and weak side doubles like a mad man. We just need more time to mesh and set up our offense. I think if we can keep J Smoove in check as far as bad shot selection and morale we'll be fine. He only took 7 shots last night as opposed to his 21 the other night.

5. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Can't agree more, Love this team.

Can't wait for Playoffs!

6. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I also think the Brewer addition has helped Ariza a ton. When these guys learn each other well enough, I could see them hold guys under 100 consistently.

7. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

agree with the patience for mesh posts above.

His game will be getting touches off hard cuts, put backs and a handful of iso's a game - but all primarily in the flow of the standard offense without taking away from it. He'll space to the three but actually do his slashing from there.

Having another ball handlers/shot creator, especially at the four, will be big down the line.

Having DMo get solid post touches off the bench while going against a slightly lesser opponent should also help his play.

I think the new lineup is good. I do question if we should insert canaan as the starter and bring bev off the bench - but with bev's 3pt shooting through the roof this season, I get why they haven't. Still, I think Bev is the worlds worst post passer and I cringe every time I see him drop it down low. 50/50 whether it's a turnover.

8. The Law

The Law Member

Oh, another team JSmoov and chemistry thread.

9. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I'm sorry but wasn't everyone complaining about how Ariza and Harden are playing too many minutes? Seems to me with Brewer and Smoove we have a solution. Let's give it some time to brew before we complain about chemistry. It's not even the first week.

10. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

Dachuda, Harden and Ariza have been playing too many minutes. And we didn't have any depth at the 4, especially since TJones has been out for so long.
    --------------------

I haven't followed Smith's career, but does he have a history of b****ing and yelling at the officials? He screaming BS and droping Fbombs last night. Even Harden had to quiet him down at one point. I appreciate his intensity, but there is a fine line between whining and intensity.

11. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

Too early to grade the new players on the team, but when march and april comes we will see how deep this Rockets team. Chill out folks, I'm sure you don't like to see the Rockets behind the Grizzlies in the division. Who does anyway!

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's going to take at least a month to integrate Smith if not longer.

Plug & play doesn't exist in midseason in the NBA. Not with Josh Smith, not with Clyde Drexler (they won their first 2 games with him, then lost 7 of their next 10). Not with anybody.

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I came here to post this exact same thing. 90% of what we perceive of good play is really about players knowing where to be in relation to each other both on offense and defense. Good players have a general idea of it, but each team has a unique system and it takes time for the players to know when to cut, when to expect a teammate to cut, when to switch, when to help, etc. The players are so quick on this level that these types of decisions need to be nearly instantaneous and it's just not something ANY human can pick up in the course of a few games - it takes many months to get it and even years to perfect it(think of how the Spurs move the ball).

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's been 2, count them, 2 games. Give it some freaking time.

15. today

today Contributing Member

I saw improvement from game 1 to game 2. In fact, there was a time or two in game 2 where he passed the ball when he should have shot it.

I was skeptical after the first game, but am more optimistic after game 2.

16. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Man I'm so angry! Last night I was cooking, I put all the ingredients of my casserole into the pot, put it in the oven for 2 minutes.

When I took it out & tasted it...the flavourd were there, but it tasted terrible.

What do I do? Throw it away & start again with different ingredients, or should I just leave it in the oven for a little while to let it cook, the flavours blend & ingredients mesh?

17. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Order pizza. But only give the delivery driver pennies on the dollar.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think this teams issues are all related to coaching , especially the offensive funks they seem to go thru at least once or twice a game.

They don't get many "easy shots" , everything is contested and if the refs swallow their whistles it makes the offense very inefficient because everything is contested and the efficiency comes from getting to the charity stripe.

I like the idea of layups , three's & free throws .... mathematically it makes a lot of sense but I don't think they are going about it in the right way.
    Rather than running ISO Harden or posting Howard they need to incorporate some movement & passing to get those two the ball in better situations , breaking down the defense rather than beating your man one on one.

I'd really like to see what guys like Adleman or Jerry Sloan could do with this roster ....

19. bmd

bmd Member

I'd order Chinese take-out.

20. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

It took what 25 turnovers and 14 missed free throws for the Spurs to eke out that win? The Rockets played pretty bad last night and still almost won. The sky is the limit with this group. When the Rockets come out and play solid tonight against Washington maybe you'll change your mind.