1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets now the favorites?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Dec 28, 2014.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

After this latest round of additions, I think the Rockets are the favorites to win it all in the NBA this season.

No other team in the NBA can go 2 deep at every position - we have rotation level players up and down the roster.

PG - Bev, JTerry, Canaan
    SG - Harden, Brewer, Schved
    SF - Ariza, Pappa
    PF - JSmith, TJones
    C - Dwight, DMo

Then you add in borderline rotation players like: Johnson, Capella, Dorsey and you are stacked.

We are so versatile, and can sustain injuries without missing a beat.

Well done Morey !

Are we now the favorites?

DD

#1 DaDakota, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  2. rockpileindisma

I wish we could see more of canaan

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Until I see otherwise in June

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Honestly, right now we're on track to perhaps have the best record in the league this season. Winning a title is a different story especially for a team with no real playoff experience playing together. On paper, we look like legit contenders, but a 82-game grind and players gelling over time will determine how far we go in the postseason. Expectations should be to reach the conference finals at the very least and then let chips fall from there. Let's hold up on the favorite talk right now. 2/3 of a season still left to play.

GO ROCKETS!

1 person likes this.
  5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This is probably the best/deepest Rockets team I've seen since I started watching in like 2002, if Yao/TMac were healthy the one exception might be that 2009 team.

So yea, needless to say I'm pretty excited about this season. Before the year I thought we needed a guy who pushed either Beverley or Jones to the bench, while adding a solid bench guy. We got the bench guy in Brewer, Beverley has improved his shot, and the acquisition of Smith/development of DMo pushes Jones to the bench where he can come in with an offensive mindset.

We have some great pieces this year.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have been a fan of the Rockets since 1972, and this is by far the deepest most talented team I have ever seen.

We have had better singular talent, Ralph, Hakeem, Rodney, but never, and I mean NEVER have we been 2 to 3 deep in NBA rotation talent.

I am STOKED !

DD

1 person likes this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Geez, at least let the dust settle. Teams haven't even had a chance to scout this rotation yet. We barely beat the Grizz and they were missing ZBo.

You can only play 5 at a time and there's only one ball. Teams this deep don't exactly have a history of winning rings. That Suns with, IIRC, Chapman and the rest are a great example. Great in regular season, not post season

#7 RV6, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  8. jacoby

jacoby Member

If last year showed me anything, it's that I will never anticipate anything more than a one and out every year.

1 person likes this.
  9. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Talent is one thing.

Team chemistry and a "win at all cost" attitude is something completely different.

I think we have the talent but the chemistry and attitude i'm not quite sure.

10. Chamillionaire

Not until we beat A healthy OKC, LAC, GS.

11. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

i want to see a couple more games... but when tjones is back, houston looks big and physical in the front court with length on the perimeter. this team could be scary good.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

There's four things that make me hesitant to believe that rockets can win it all.

1. Not enough playmakers other than harden. The offense stalls whenever he's sitting on the bench.

2. Dwight Howard's knee is a serious concern. There's a noticeable decline in his athleticism this season. I'm worried that this is a serious issue, especially since so much of his game is relied on his athleticism.

3. Lack of playbook. Our offense is too predictable. In a 7 game playoff series, teams will figure you out. Plus, harden needs a break from initiating the offense 90% of the time. How about running a play where he can move off the ball, cutting to the basket for an easy layup.

4. Mchale. I simply do not trust Mchale. I believe he may be the worst coach in the NBA (behind Scottie brooks). Morey should've waited after this years playoffs before extending him to a new deal.

1 person likes this.
  13. JazzLakerHater

Just stay away from the 1 seed please. I want no part of OKC.

14. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

You have to think with 2/3 of the season left they will move past the 8th spot.

15. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

2.5GB from being the best in the league and then you add:

dwight (missed a lot of time)
    smith
    brewer
    shved
    jones (hopefully)

we could easily be the best in the league. however, we have a couple of fatal flaws. although we are the second best defense, we are the 18th best offense. the players we added are also primarily defensive players. generating offense against top tier defensive teams will be a problem in the playoffs. in fact we are only about 10th in net rating (combined O and D rating).

i think our offense will improve since brewer and smith are great in transition, and smith in particular is a great creator off the dribble for a PF. still, the offense has a LONG way to go in order for us to be a serious contender. that brings me to our biggest problem...

but the biggest concern for me is assists and turnovers. we are close to worst in the league in both. being the worst in the league in assists doesn't bode well for half court playoff basketball. if the ball isn't swinging around and finding the open man, we are looking at heavy doses of H&H 1 on 1. the turn overs are like a hole in our offensive ship causing it to sink.

if we don't improve our ast/to ratio as a team as will be doomed in the playoffs.

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Really need a backup C. Rather DMo played just the 4. Grizzlies just ripped every rebound out of his hands. Omer Asik, I'm looking at you

1 person likes this.
  17. caneks

caneks Rookie

not this season.

1 person likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, not at all IMO.

Grizzles are still very strong, lets not forget Zbo was out last game.

Blazers are monsters, GSW are tough and the Clippers always destroy us. Did I mention the Spurs are still out there? And what happens when OKC gets healthy?

The west is a huge toss up, the favorite will still have to watch it's ass just as hard as the 7th seed will.

1 person likes this.
  19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

So now you are excited and appreciate what Josh Smith brings? Very good.

Rockets need a perimeter closer to pair with Harden and I will definitely say they are the favorites. Dragic, Jarrett Jack anyone? Somebody that can punish teams late when they decide to trap Harden. I'm also concerned Harden will be worn out by the end of the season. Need to get his minutes and usage down a little.

I want a few more games to assess Josh Smith and Corey Brewer. Also need to see how D-Mo's effort and mentality hold up when teams start game prepping for his post ups.

With the 3 new additions, it will take some time for the Rockets to hit stride, for the league to adjust and then the Rockets to adjust back.

Let's have this conversation during the week long All-Star break.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It is nice to get excited, but we have a long way to go. If we can get Goran and a better backup center than Dorsey without giving up D-Mo and Beverely, we will be a stronger team.