1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Josh Smith: Is he the third man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 27, 2014.

?

Is Josh Smith the third man?

1. Yes

132 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    31.3%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey has been trying to find that third elite player for quite some time, moving salaries, gathering assets and preserving flexibility to chase guys like...

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

but did he finally find the the third star in the form of a $2M signing? Josh Smith sure look good tonight.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;We got the homie J-Smoove. We dangerous now.&quot; - <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21">@patbev21</a> <a href="https://t.co/iWgibS2Z8T">https://t.co/iWgibS2Z8T</a></p>&mdash; Houston Rockets (@HoustonRockets) <a href="https://twitter.com/HoustonRockets/status/548708356979179520">December 27, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/t6aRr9zhyM8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 Carl Herrera, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Don't want to knee-jerk after one game, but before the year I thought we were two players away. A quality bench guy and a #3 guy, not necessarily a star but a fringe star who can step up if needed.

Well we got the quality bench guy in Brewer and Smith *might* be that #3 guy who can step it up if needed. Like when Dwight goes full r****d like tonight for example. I'd imagine that Smith won't take as many shots if Dwight gets his head in the game, but it was really nice to see someone step up and cover Dwight's inside presence on the offensive end tonight.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Love the Hogan video.

4. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

YEAH, BUT WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON???

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

;)Lowry IS and DURANT is the second man behind Harden ;P

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Maybe, but why have 3 when you can have 4?

7. CrashTheBoards

I wanted him bad back when we had the chance to sign both him and Howard. I also thought he could have been the third man. Now, I will say it remains to be seen. The west is so tough to where you could be facing the Spurs/Thunder in the first round, Clippers/Blazers in the second. Dragic would be nice, but I am really happy we got Smith for cheap.

8. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Back then, you could throw drinks at stars without getting punched in the face.

9. calcium

calcium Member

Hope Mr Smith can keep this up.

Cos Ariza started off with a bang too and he's sort of come down to earth.

And 1 more player recently. Cant remember who now (Covington? Hamilton?)
    who also started off really well.

But if he can keep playing around this level (game 1), the team would be scarily good.

Morey is a genius (again) :).

10. baubo

baubo Member

He has the potential, but there certainly are some issues for sure. The question is whether those can be fixed with practice and attitude adjustment. I'm leaning towards yes, but it's not certain for sure.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I thought that guy was DMo

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Who says Morey is stopping with 3, brother?

[​IMG]

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

He's not the third guy. He took twenty shots to score 20 points. That's not efficient.

Also, some of those shots were ugly. The airball 3?

He needs to play within his limits. Stop taking so many shots that he's not capable of making.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, but's he would be an excellent 4th man, and that's awesome because he would make Ariza the 5th man, which we know would best suit Ariza.

We basically need a better starting PG (the 3rd man), and a real backup C to complete this team IMO.

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

First game. No practice, only a shootaround. Against Memphis in their building.

Calm down and let the realization sink in: we have just surpassed Portland, Memphis, and yes even GSW in the Western Conference talent pool. Now time to see how we fare against the Clippers, OKC, and San Antonio (once they start caring).

16. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He didn't really play out of himself so what he did today is probably replicable.

But what got me most was his fantastic playmaking ability and passing vision. He set our guys with shots in positions i didn't even think he would've been able to see.

That alone will help this team beyond belief when Harden isn't in the game.

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Those are just excuses, that is typical Josh Smith.

18. reliableman

reliableman Member

As long as he's cheap -- maybe?!?!

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

LMAO at people still asking for more.... What do yall want? An elite player at every position? This is not NBA2K15...... I believe Smith is the third... The Rockets at the moment have a very good team with a(cant believe I'm saying this) deep bench that offers both talent and experience. I for one do not care about a PG.... I want PatBev..... This team is set to make a run at the title as is. Lets not lose young loyal and passionate players for a point guard who already left once. Excited about this team, not even worried about bringing in anyone else. This is it. This squad is more than enough....

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Smith threw passes at a velocity I haven't even seen from Harden. To have the confidence in the paint to pass it out at such a speed is extremely encouraging. He had no hesitation. I expected the balls to go out of bounds. I was wrong.