1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We better keep dmo and tjones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Dec 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I feel like after signing j smoove the rockets will make a move and trade either one now. How would you guys feel if the rockets got rid of one of them.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

If there giving up D Mo it better be a big time backup C or Dragic

3. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

I'd feel like our Gm is morey and he very rarely pays his guys. Both are on rookie deals and long term only one will stay. I love both but I don't get attached to rockets players because morey doesn't keep them

4. LelWestbrick

LelWestbrick Rookie

Don't give a crap about TJones, hope we don't give up DMo.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would prefer to keep them both, but for me, you keep the taller center, DMo has the ability to play the Center position both offensively and defensively....

Honestly, I wish that TJo was healthy and we had DHo, DMo and TJo that is a good enough rotation to go all the way.

DD

6. lalala902102001

We don't even know when Jones will be back if at all this season and what condition he'll be in when he's back. DMo will still get plenty of minutes off the bench and be the go-to guy of the second unit. Smith comes cheap so if things don't work out we can just cut him. I highly doubt that Rockets would take a declining Josh Smith over two young rising bigs in DMo and TJones long term. Short term Smith fills a void. Dorsey/Black were getting plenty of minutes for god's sake. Smith can't be worse than these two.

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I still see D-Mo and Jones as being a big part of the Rockets future unless they are traded for a long term upgrade. IMO not much has changed.

Fact is.... Josh Smith is only here this year, and its likely the Jones will not be 100% anytime soon and potentially all year.

The Rockets, unless they create cap space by moving players, will not have the capspace to resign Smith. The most they can offer will be the mid level exception, and as much as people rag on Josh Smith, he's worth a heck of alot more than that on the open market. My guess is he gets offered a pretty decent contract this summer, but of course nothing crazy like what he got from Detroit.

Maybe he takes a paycut and signs for the minimum since the Pistons are still going to be paying him, and he just wants to win. However, you can't knock anyone out there that leaves a perfectly good job to essentially double their income.

If for some reason Josh Smith DOESN'T get offered a decent contract this Summer, that probably means he sucked majorly in his time with Houston, and then you'd probably not care to bring him back regardless.

Point being.... the Rockets probably still need to keep Jones and especially D-Mo in their future plans. Josh Smith could very well just be a short term rental to fill in for Jones this year.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

we better not keep both of them you sum um a beach

9. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

I'm still not convinced that Morey will trade one of Dmo and TJones on this trade deadline. If he does, it must be for some big time player. Dmo and TJones will still be on their rookie contract, but Smith will be an unrestricted free agent soon. Unless Smith and the Rockets can work out a deal beyond this season, Dmo and Jones may still be their key pieces next season.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I'd include either (but not both) at this point in a trade for Dragic, if Smith turns out to be closer to ATL Smith than DET Smith.

Come playoff time, most teams use an 8-9 man lineup, not the huge depth lineups like in the regular season.

A Dragic/Harden/Beverley combo playing the 1/2 most of the time would be ridiculously good.

Howard/Smith/Tjones or Dmo would be a solid front court option

Then a mix of Ariza/Brewer/Terry would work nicely as complimentary pieces.

That's a championship combination.

1 person likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

not a basketballhollic fan...but I think TJ has become kind of expendable...

12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

We had those 3 last year, it was not good enough.

My thoughts are, TJ will go out the door, as Morey has put his faith in DMo.

13. CrashTheBoards

Ok thatboyphuong

14. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

TJones can be taking a big leap defensively this year or next. If he does, would he be worth keeping?

15. cebu

cebu Member

Jones for a first round pick or two second pick.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With D-Mo's emergence, T-Jones has probably played his last game for the Rockets. No big loss at all. He will never be more than a borderline rotation player at best.

I compare him to Carl Landry on defense: Hopelessly lost and unsalvageable. On offense, Landry is better.

1 person likes this.
  17. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

DMo has much more upside than TJ. DMo all the way.

18. hookem89

hookem89 Member

Disagree. DMo is our guy. He's a solid two-way player. Jones, on the other hand, can't defend the bigger, stronger PFs in the WC like Aldridge, Dirk, etc. J Smoove may even have a tough time, as he's only 6'9". We need DMo.

TJ is a very good player, but he's expendable now. If his trade value wasn't shot due to his injury, I'd say trade him asap.

19. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

I just feel bad for T-Jones. I thought he can be nearly as good as Jsmoove defensively.

20. Lorenzomax

Lorenzomax Rookie

Yes but time flies... Post-plays all day so I prefer to keep D-mo.