1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we acquired Dragic, does Bev resign?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hoopstar, Dec 22, 2014.

Tags:
  1. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

or does he leave for a starting gig somewhere else?

If he does want to return, how much would you offer him (assuming we trade for and extend Dragic)?

2. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't think Bev's second contract is really in the rockets plans. He's on his value play now. When it resets, I think they look to another alternative.

I'd like to point out limited further upside, and a shaky knee as the primary reasons.

1 person likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Beverly is not a pg that can run a team on his own. if he really would leave and try to get a starting spot somewhere else, he won't have many choices. he would likely have to be on one of the worst teams in the league. doubt he chooses that route

1 person likes this.
  4. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Shouldn't this be a conversation when/if we ever get a chance to bring Dragic back? What's the point in starting a thread right now.... So much **** about Dragic and he plays for the Suns right now. We should be worried about our current team and keep the speculating to the random trade ideas thread.

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. There is room for Bev on here. By having Dragic you get a Bev-Dragic-Harden backcourt which gives us a lot of flexibility in playing all three or some combo of the 2 throughout the game.

It's a powerful backcourt from both a defensive and offensive perspective.

1 person likes this.
  6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Bev is restricted so its really not his call.

But yes, more than likely Bev will be happy to get paid this Summer, be most appreciative of the Rockets for being the team that gave him a second chance at the NBA, and will want to stay and help this team go deep for multiple years.

Also, if the Rockets acquired Dragic, I'm not so sure that Bev wouldn't still be the starter even though Dragic would probably get more minutes. Dragic would be great in the Ginobilli role with Houston, and would be a difference maker when Harden is off the floor.

Still I'd think that its a long shot for any of this to happen this way. Things are going to zig and zag the next couple months quite a bit so who knows what's going to happen. As of now, either way, I see Beverley getting brought back, and the Rockets probably get him on a fair contract where if he is the backup, its not an insane amount either way.

1 person likes this.
  7. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

If you mean 're-sign' then, yes.

Bev is an integral part of who we are as a team. He's a team-first type of player who will do whatever is required for the Rockets to win. If that means coming off the bench, that's what he will do -- no questions asked.

He's a 'throwback' in every sense of the word.

Especially when it comes to loyalty and team chemistry.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dragic can play alongside Bev when he mans the 2, and at the 1 with Harden.
    It would be nice to see that.

9. hakeemthagreat

I don't think the majority of you guys value Bev's qualities enough. Is he a elite PG? Nope. But neither is Dragic lol. But he has elite defensive capabilities and has turned into a great spotup 3pt shooter. He is the PERFECT pg next to Harden, and I'd actually rather have him over Dragic.

On a side note, Dragic is so grossly overhyped here it's ridiculous

10. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

expect us to be Boshed, Meloed and K-Lowed in our chase for Dragic..

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah, let's not get ahead of ourselves too much here. I think we have a decent shot at him but it's far from guaranteed. If we're betting on Dragic going to the Rockets or going to one of the 29 other teams, I think as of right now the odds are greater that he'll be on one of the 29 other teams.

1 person likes this.
  12. photojoe

photojoe Member

I love Bev, but let's be honest... if he did look to sign with a different team, how many teams out there would he be the starter for? The PG position is pretty stacked. I think Bev is a perfect complement playing alongside Harden (or another SG who handles the ball), but there aren't very many teams out there.

I would be excited if we did get Dragic. A guard rotation of Dragic-Harden-Bev would be really good. But let's not get ahead of ourselves. A lot can change in three months before the trading deadline and we have no idea if we will be able to trade for him or not

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

There aren't many teams that will give him an opportunity to start, but there will be plenty of teams after him when he's available. He'll go to the highest bidder, simple as that. I hope it's the Rockets. He's fine off the bench and he can play alongside several other point guards at the same time. Dragic and him would be fine out there together in stints.

1 person likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Isn't Canaan the odd man out?

1 person likes this.
  15. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

What exactly did Canaan do?

16. baubo

baubo Member

This. Dragic and Beverley will work together just fine because Beverley plays off the ball on offense anyways. He's a natural 3rd guard for this team.

Also he's not getting starter job in today's NBA. He's not like Parsons where positional scarcity played a huge part in the contract. Beverley is more likely getting something like an Isaiah Thomas contract ($6-7mil per) which the Rockets should be happy to match.

17. rockets13champs

Amazing summer league, very clutch shooter.
    High potential

18. rockets13champs

Canaan that is

19. alethios

alethios Member

Bev is a hard worker, a baller and a great teammate. I'd like to have him stay with the Rockets in a backup role, but he could start on several teams and get paid well, so whatever the outcome, I hope we do right by him.

20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Resignation not accepted.

2 people like this.