1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Coach of Year candidate: Bill O'Brien???

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, Dec 21, 2014.

1. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Considering the stark turn around from a 2-14 team (losing 14 straight) to finding a way to get to 8 wins (possibly nine, with a miraculous playoff birth opportunity)..Coach BOB and his entire staff deserves so much credit for such a great job... Our team played and was in most games (except the Giants game) till the very end. Good coaching can maximize talent, and I feel he did that...especially considering how unsettled the QB position was this season, and with the rash of injuries at that position. Also considering how many players we have had injured plus, NOT having the #1 draft pick play much...I have faith in this staff...we just need to get lucky and find a QB. Go Texans!!!

2. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

He will get some votes but Arians will probably win it.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I've been impressed.

May have to give it to Parsons' team though.

4. showa13

showa13 Member

He will and should get votes. Arians is far and away the winner though

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Arians and Caldwell will battle for that.

6. Mr. Clutch

How does Arians win over Caldwell or Garrett?

Especially after today.

7. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What did he do today? Arizona hasn't played yet.

BOB definitely deserves votes, but won't win it, especially if the Texans don't make the playoffs.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

OBie has done a great job. The Texans have a much improved offense, an improved special teams and a slightly improved defense. Kubiak did not game plan as well as OBie. OBie had a game plan today that beat a better opponent, even while having to start an inexperienced quarterback.

9. Mr. Clutch

Not to go too far.

Kubiak turned one of the leagues worst offense into one of the best.

It is one game after all.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Are you referring to the Dallas beat down of the Colts?

Arians doesn't coach the Colts anymore. He's the guy that lead them to a great season two years ago while Pagano was going through cancer treatment. He then got hired by Arizona last year and got them to 10 or 11 wins and was the first team in a couple of years to win in Seattle (not counting the Fail Mary Green Bay game). This year, Arizona has 11 wins, clinched a playoff spot and is going through similar QB injury issues as the Texans have. I think Lindley (like Keenum) came from some team's practice squad. Before Lindley, they won quite a few games without Palmer too. So...it's going to be Arians garnering pretty much all the 1st place COY votes.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not to mention the Texan's easy schedule. Their wins:
    Redskins
    Raiders
    Titans 2x
    Bills
    Jaguars
    Browns
    Ravens

The Ravens win is really the only impressive win. The Cardinals beat the Chargers, 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, and Lions. That's three possibly four playoff teams and they are on their 4th QB.

12. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Coach Bob improved in some areas as the year went along with his play calling but he doesn't deserve coach of the year. Texans had the easiest schedule this year in franchise history probably. Hope this year doesn't give the organization a false sence of things turning around. The organization has a lot of work to do in a lot of areas.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I am pumped about O'Brien. The man can not only coach but also has gotten this team to play incredibly hard for him.

14. Mattician

Mattician Member

He's already my favorite Texans coach.

15. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Arians also had a much weaker running game, and lost his stud LB on defense. I think Larry Foote was their lead tackler. Bowles is probably on the short list of a few struggling teams right now, but could suffer from the same fate as D.Bevell since he needs to worry about the postseason and not job interviews right now.

16. Juxtaposed Jolt

I feel so bad for Fitzgerald.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Weak SOS. No real signature win. No major upset. Weak showings early in the season before he began to improve and tighten up his coaching game. I don't think so. Gotta be Arians again.

Side note: I saw O'Brien last night sitting at the bar at Punk's.

18. Summer Song Giver

Bill has done a good job. He improved his play calling throughout the year and continued to rely on his one strength which was the run game.

This off season he needs to mine a top 15 QB somehow for this team to be truly competitive.

It won't be Fitzpatrick or Keenum, maybe Mallett can approach that level, Savage should progress into the QB2 and hopefully we draft a guy in the early part of next years draft that can solidify the position in the future.

19. baubo

baubo Member

I guess it depends on what you think of the Texans talent coming into the season. For example, Vegas had the Texans over/under at 7.5, with action on the over. Meaning smart people were betting the Texans had at least .500 talent without having seen BOB coach at all.

If you believe these people are wrong, and that the Texans had more of a 2-win talent that overproduced to get to 8-9 wins, then BOB should not only be COY, he should get an extension. But if you are like many of the national "experts"(oddly enough they're mostly on the money this year), then what BOB did should be considered natural because the Texans are talented but quit last year. Therefore, any coaching change would automatically result in an regression upward.

20. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

Arians wins this all the way. I wish Arians was our coach. Bob will be good not sure if he is Superbowl caliber though. I can see Arians winning 1 or 2 rings easy.