1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI] Tim Grover discusses NBA injuries

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Dec 21, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

2. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Good read and it does make sense in theory that todays society pushes young athletes much, much harder than it did 20-30 years ago.

3. NotChandlerParsons

Looking through the rest of Grover's articles, it's kind of odd that SI is basically allowing him to advertise his services and books. Nevertheless, I do agree with everything written here.

4. Awesome

Awesome Member

I can understand not resting because that can cause injury, however it doesn't explain guys who get rest and still end up with bad injuries. Gallanari has been out for how long? Now he just tore another acl, and thats not because of lack of rest.

Im just not sure thats the end all be all to what we've been seeing.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He did not say overtraining and lack of rest cause all injuries. He said it's responsible for the increase in serious injuries to very young NBA players. Grover's comments don't apply to Gallinari's latest problem.

I think he makes a lot of sense. Time will tell.

6. Awesome

Awesome Member

I dont think I disagree with him on that, or at least i tried to say that, but I think the article for example using Randle as an example, I mean it was a freak bone break for a rookie...

Im sure he wont mention PEDs as apart of it either or how it seems like an epidemic now where you can almost expect this stuff every single year now.

I know it doesn't apply to Danillo's situation that was my point, players rested get freak injuries too. He's not the exception either.

Its not that guys get hurt, but so many ACL repairs and severe things happening so often is whats alarming.

7. Major

Major Member

This has been talked about in regards to so many MLB pitchers needing Tommy John surgery at such an early age now too. Pitchers are pitching competitively earlier and earlier, playing year-round, specializing in one sport much earlier, etc.

8. Major

Major Member

I do disagree with the last part of the article:

Parents: By living your athletic dreams through your kids, you may be damaging theirs. NBA coaches rest their players. Shouldn't you? Just as we teach kids to have good study habits, we also have a responsibility to teach them good training habits. Not just working hard, but working smart. You don’t achieve that by training more and more to beat out the other kids, you achieve it by allowing kids to rest and recover the mind and body, so they can continue to develop and come back stronger and smarter.

We all know that's the ideal situation in theory. But the fact that the kids that are making to the NBA and MLB are the ones who are over-training suggests that its helping to lead to their success. Unfortunately, these kids pay the price later. But maybe if Jabari Parker spends less time playing basketball while growing up, he never gets good enough to be a top pick in the first place. Maybe he won't tear an ACL at age 20, but maybe he doesn't make his millions either.

This is one of those prisoner's dilemma situations. We all know it's better if a person trains less. But unless everyone cuts back, there's still an advantage to training more. So unless you legislate limits somehow, there's no way to really stop it.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

i have a theory on this. it's the long shorts. they catch on a player's knees which alters their stride. meaning players run with an abnormal gait which leads to injuries.

10. Awesome

Awesome Member

Shorts?

LOL why not mention the exploding shoes too then.

11. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

My theory is that the floor is more polished and slippery than it's ever been.

Source:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

He also makes it seem like not resting over a lifetime is what is doing it. It'd be cool a analysis:

Injuries (and there severity) in multiple sport athletes vs. single sport athletes.