1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VantageSports] Donatas Motiejunas - Houston's Answer at PF

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 18, 2014.

1. omgTHEpotential

Not sure if it was posted already (it might have) but I figured I'll share it with everyone on a separate thread. A good write-up and analysis on DMo's recent play:

http://www.vantagesports.com/#story...s-motiejunas-houstons-answer-at-power-forward

4 people like this.
  2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

3. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

4. cml750

cml750 Member

5. Mattician

Mattician Member

I hope Motiejunas keeps it up. He could be in consideration for most improved player this season.

6. omgTHEpotential

Jimmy 'Buckets' Butler pretty much has it in the bag. Unless DMo goes on some ridiculous hot streak for the rest of the season, he's not earning that MIP award.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Is that site run by Rockets fans? This is the 2nd recent article in a week or so praising one of our guys.

8. omgTHEpotential

Not sure, bet there are plenty of articles on there not related to Rockets.

9. ribbit

ribbit Member

Noooo! No MIP awards, please! Give it to somebody else!

10. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think so. But it's an basketball site with a focus on analytics.

So they might have some appreciation for the Rockets organization since they are heavily into analytics.

11. omgTHEpotential

Some good stuff there. Plenty of non-Rockets related articles.

12. kemah

kemah Member

I like Dmo game a lot but I am concerned that he can't seem to get better at rebounding.

13. omgTHEpotential

He's a 8rpg PER36 type of guy. He probably won't have better numbers than that because of his lack of reach. It's not about 'him getting better at it'. It's not an effort or skill thing. He simply lacks physical tools for it and you'll just have to deal with it. He's pretty awesome at a lot of other things though.

14. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I agree that he brings a lot to our team besides rebounding. I just have some frustration when I see shorter players get rebounds that look like he can retrieve. I like Dmo a lot though so I am not hating here.

15. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

He's a Robin/Brook Lopez type of rebounder where he's good at getting into position but more often his teammates pick up the rebound over him. He's like the Anti-JJ Hickson, his rebounding #'s won't look as good as he does.

16. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Lacks reach? Maybe compared to other seven footers but he doesn't really lack any physical tools necessary to be a good rebounder other than maybe lower body strength, which can be acquired. He has to get better at positioning himself while boxing out. He rarely leaves enough space to corral the ball and is often left with the options tipping or guiding the ball. He won't ever be a Dwight Howard like rebounder but he can improve.

#16 pmac, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  17. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

The rebounding issue is less of a concern given Dwight is a beast at that and the most everyone else on the floor rebounds very well for their position. Honestly if he can just box a guy out and leave the rebound to someone else, that's just as good. I don't think most teams have a center who grabs 11 a game, and all their guards and wings average about 6 a game individually.

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Great find. The author has to be a Rocket's fan to know this recent secret about D Mo.

19. gah

gah Member

This is supported by the numbers reported in the article, which puts him at the 93rd percentile in block-outs. That's a great silver lining.

20. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

I seriously can't believe this dude is so good now. I was ready to ship his ass back to Lithuania.