1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HardwoodParoxysm] Harden on Pace for MVP Numbers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoxBeliever, Dec 17, 2014.

1. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

James GOATden

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If you reduce the requirements to 25 pts 6 assists and 6 rebounds. Only Lebron, Bird, LBJ, and Clyde (once) has accomplished this. Harden is a having a MVP type season.

4. rockbox

To add, Lebron has done it 9 times which is why is in the argument for GOAT.

5. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

LeJames Harden

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Because of his on air goofiness, I think Clyde has become criminally underrated around these parts. During his prime 6 seasons in Portland he averaged 24.3 PPG, 6.8 Reb and 6.2 Ast.

And he did this on teams that went to the finals. At his peak the man was a superstar, not just flashy dunks and Dream's sidekick.

1 person likes this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think you're misconstruing the comments people have on here regarding Clyde Drexler, the commentator, and Clyde Drexler, the HOF.

I doubt anyone who watched Clyde's career can say that he is "criminally underrated" because they know what kind of player he was.

Whoever is downplaying Drexler as a basketball player either was too young or didn't follow basketball at that time.

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Plus he's the only one who has managed an avg of 1 block per game

9. rockbox

Clyde for much of his early career was regarded as MJ's equal. Much like Durant to Lebron. It was MJ's dismantling of him in the finals(Like Hakeem vs Robinson) that changed the discussion. Clyde was amazing. He just wasn't as amazing as Jordan.

10. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

Lebron James Harden

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Still think the jury is out on that trade. K-Mart, Lamb, and Steven Adams are a compelling trio.

12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

If we could keep his minutes around 37-38mins per game, that would be great.

13. onreego

onreego Member

LeHard James

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

LeBeard James

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

LBJ-Harden

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I've seen so many of these "on pace" articles regarding our players in the past. That in itself is a cool feat. I think i'll be more impressed when one of them actually accomplishes it by staying "on pace" for the entire season though.

So far the only ones I can recall who have were Tracy McGrady. Something about his playoff numbers being in elite company. And Steve Francis' first 5 seasons being in the company of Jordan, Big "O", and like two other or something. I'd like Harden to be the first one in a while to actually stay the course and finish the season as he starts.

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

It seemed odd that Harden's Win Share stat is much lower than the Jordan & Lebron seasons. However, when you look at WS/48, the numbers are more uniform.

And this makes sense because the main stat behind WS is points produced, so Harden's lower scoring average in less minutes per game is drawing his WS number down.

This is one case in which WS does not reasonably represent the player's impact. Harden is definitely putting up a top MVP caliber season.

18. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

To be fair, you can make anyone look good with careful enough application of the "only these players have posted at least X, Y, and Z stats" arguments. I happily use it in NBA debates at times when I feel like deliberately being obtuse. Not here, of course. ;)

For example: "Lamar Odom should be in the Hall of Fame. He's one of only two players in NBA history to average 3.7 assists and 0.9 blocks while shooting 31% on three-pointers. This demonstrates he and the other such player - Tracy McGrady - were far more versatile than Lebron or Michael Jordan."

(Obviously with P-R-A as your stats it's less gimmicky but same idea).

That's not anything against Harden, whose MVP campaign I declared support for already - just a personal note about a minor thing that caught my eye.

19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I think you're reading it wrong. Win Shares is a cumulative stat, like total points. Harden has played only a quarter of the season so he has a quarter as many win shares. While minutes per game also effects WS, it doesn't account for that size gap, it would just make the difference of maybe +/- 10 percent. Multiply Harden's WS by 82/23 and you'll find him right in the range of the Jordan and Lebron seasons.

20. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Yup, the latter part of my post was about the WS/48 (from basketball reference's calculation). WS is indeed cumulative so it would definitely be about 4 times less than the completed Lebron & Jordan seasons.