1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Beverley an Out-of-control Hothead or a Calculating Defender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doctor Robert, Dec 15, 2014.

1. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

1) We all love Beverley.
    2) If Beverley is ever traded, or leaves, we'll all hate him.
    3) Despite Westbrook, OKC fans, and the psychotic terrorist-tweeting ballboy, we all know that Beverley never intended to harm Westbrook.
    4) The national media is clueless and sensationalist, so Beverley will always be a caricature of his on court self to the rest of the NBA fans.

These are the facts. Beyond that, I'm curious what other Beverley fans think of his demeanor and playing style this year.

I feel like Beverley started his Rocket career as a hard-working, blue collar player that took nothing for granted, and appreciated all the things he had achieved in ways many other NBA stars could never do. Although he played extremely hard on defense on every play, he still appeared to have a very business-like attitude rather than a destructive one (what most NFL players seem to exhibit). If I ever bumped into him at a restaurant, I imagined that I would buy him a beer, and we would have a quick conversation about the Rockets, and he would be super easy going.

Lately, I feel like I keep catching glimpses of a different Beverley. After plays, he'll give someone a shove for no apparent reason, or you'll see him say something to another player on the court that is obviously not a comment about the weather. He seems cockier. Are these signs of Beverley loosing his cool at times? Are these signs of Beverley trying to get into the oppositions head by getting better at the mind games? Is Beverley a calculating defender that knows how far he can push these tactics in order to wreak the most mental and physical havoc on his opponents, or is he just revealing more and more about himself as he gets more comfortable on the NBA court?

If Beverley can make opposing players afraid of him... not from a defensive standpoint, but from a "is he nuts?" standpoint, that could be very useful to him.

I'm going to jot down the times I see this happen in the near future and post them here. Does anyone else see this change?

1 person likes this.
  2. delta69er

delta69er Member

To be honest I think he's just channeling his inner Bill Laimbeer

3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I have a feeling of deja vu.....did someone start a thread about beverley or another player with a similar thread title? :confused:

And beverley isn't losing his cool...that's who he is, tough guy. The fact that he's not fighting people is actually a sign that he's in control.

4. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Ariza & Harden are more so like that than Patrick - they both are physical with some shoves after the whistle. Harden does after he gets fouled on offense sometimes; Ariza does it when he makes a mistake on defense and is frustrated by it.

Regardless, I don't care if it keeps our current team chemistry.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I love him and think the way he competes is infectious, guys like Howard and Harden need a push now and again, and I think Bev gives that toughness push.

DD

6. NotChandlerParsons

When you play as intensely as he does the difference doesn't really matter.

7. bmd

bmd Member

He just seems passionate to me. I feel like he's bought into his scrappy image more than his first year here. It's his thing.

So yeah, I think he's amped it up some, but he's always been a passionate player.

8. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It would have been a good title for the Tony Stewart incident thread if you replaced defender with driver.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I bet if he was playing for another team, we'd call him dirty

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

He plays as hard as any player in the league. He's a great teammate. He's Becoming a clutch shooter. He's a punk. We love the guy.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I seem to recall an interview where Bev said that he doesn't necessarily watch game tape to prepare for an opponent. If that still holds true, I imagine his defense is more along the lines of relentless energy as opposed to any sort of "calculating" defender.

Having said that, I would agree that there is an element of "pushing buttons" thus why Bev has the reputation of being a pest and cerebral player.

I'm not so sure that I've seen him displaying more frustration on the court than usual. Maybe it is just us seeing him play after so long or him exerting all that pent up energy?

12. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

He got hustle and grit and plays good defense. Whats not to love?
    Having seen the Westbrook plays I think they were just unfortunate accidents. There was no malice in terms of intent but Bev should try not to run full speed so close to another player for fear of something like that happening. That and pay attention to when a timeout is called and play is stopped.

I feel like Bev could be a star point guard if he focused on developing a couple of very reliable go to move on offense.

13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Simple answer.

Both.

14. kemah

kemah Member

I see Bev more calm this year then last. He seems to have settled into his role this year and works hard to insure that he stays in the NBA. He also arrived at the right time here to make a difference since we decided to change the defensive side. I have never seen a player that gets more involved when they are not on the court. He is always talking to other players and looks like he would make an excellent coach after his playing days. I hope it is with us.

15. AFS

AFS Member

Probably. I think now that he has a reputation for being an elite defender, referees let him get away with more contact on the perimeter than normal. He's able to reach a lot without picking up calls that you'd normally see. I don't have stats to back it up, but that's what it looks like to me.

If someone like that was harassing our guards, we'd definitely complain about it.

16. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Bev would certainly be ugly to play against. Hopefully he stays with the Rockets this summer.

17. mclawson

mclawson Member

I was going to say the second coming of Mad Max. A little bit of crazy is a good thing at times.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

What the heck? Bev is about perfect playing next to Harden. Isn't that all that counts?

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Not sure how true #2 is. Don't recall fans hating Vernon in '97 when he was playing significant minutes for the SAS, and Max is the definition of "out of control hothead."

btw: let's list videos of all Beverley's so-called cheap hits or dirty play. Not so sure we can post a compilation of anything close to several Utah Jazz and Bill Laimbeer.

20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The only time I can recall seeing him what I'd describe as "out of control" was that game @ OKC last year when he had the mask. He was completely reckless that game, to the detriment of the team's performance.

Otherwise, I think he's just Bev being Bev. Still the same guy who does impromptu signings and invites fans to hang out w/ him via Twitter -- but when he steps onto the court, all bets are off.

ETA: I *** with Bill Laimbeer, so take that how you will. LOL.