1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros have met with Scherzer

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by joeson332, Dec 11, 2014.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

<iframe class="vine-embed" src="https://vine.co/v/O6A6AFLJmMH/embed/simple" width="480" height="480" frameborder="0"></iframe><script async src="//platform.vine.co/static/scripts/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

doubt it happens but yooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

This strikes me as another instance where the Astros and a top FA are using each other. The Astros look like they are becoming a destination while the player leverages this supposed interest to get a better deal.

I hope I'm not wrong. This deal would likely set us back. I don't think Luhnow would be willing to take such a risk.

3. Storm the Field

I'm having trouble buying that one.

Drellich just said that we met with Boras, but it concerned Stephen Drew and some relievers, not Scherzer. Luhnow also flat out said we're not in the market for TOR starters.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Luhnow has never lied to the press. Never.

5. Storm the Field

Well, if my post was limited to simply what Luhnow said, that might change my opinion.

Instead, Drellich says his source (presumably not Jeff Luhnow) tells him our conversations with Boras are about Stephen Drew and some relievers, specifically not Scherzer.

We came into the meetings talking about needing back-end bullpen help, infield help and maybe a middle to back of rotation starter. So far we've signed two back-end bullpen pieces, and been mentioned in discussions with Lowrie and Drew.

So far it seems like we're doing exactly what we talked about. So I'll repeat, I'm having trouble buying that we're talking to Scherzer, based on the totality of the circumstances.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

If we get Scherzer, I'm in. That can be a game changer. I do fear he will get less wins in Houston due to run support and perhaps even get bored losing. but hey, you never know. If he brings 20 wins then that is likely 15 more wins than we would have with the next best pitcher.

We'd look like a real baseball team with him on board. And I can buy into that.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

A simple hello im sure.

8. HstnSprtsFan101

Melky Cabrera is seeking 5 years, 60 mil. That doesn't seem outrageous. Would be the perfect LF'er for us & would allow us to move Fowler

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We drive up his price tag and the Front office gets to act like we tried to make a splash... win win for both sides

10. the shark

the shark Member

Nothing to see hear.....move along.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

1. Scherzer
    2. Keauchel
    3. McKugh
    4. Feldman
    5. Obe or Peacock

That would be a great rotation, and with the improvement with the bullpen, C and SS, our need is just 1 more hitter with power, and we are set

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Then trade Appel, one of the 3b prospects, and a couple other lower level arms for Hamels

1. Max
    2. Cole
    3. Dallas
    4. Colin
    5. Brett

I know, I know, ain't happening . . .but dang

13. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

If this happened, I would be excited for baseball for the first time in a very long time.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

This just isnt Astros baseball, who was the last big name FA pitcher the Astros brought in other than Petite and Clemens? Randy Johnson? I would be shocked if they sign him.

15. msn

msn Member

RJ was a trade. But, Rocket and Pettitte count. :cool:

16. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Signing Scherzer and dealing Appel for Hamels would make the Astros legit title contenders instantly.

Scherzer, Hamels, Keuchel, McHugh, Feldman

That's a five man rotation that can win a lot of games

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It won't happen..but holy crap. That would be amazing.

18. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Probably better for long term success to sign Scherzer only then plan on Appel replacing Feldman in 2017.

Use that 23.5M per year to sign J Upton or Heyward next offseason.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Appel is not likely going to take 2 more full seasons before being ready.

20. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I'm assuming he'd spend 2016 in the bullpen and as injury replacement (if Scherzer was signed).