1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Can we talk about this team's post entry passing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DudeWah, Dec 5, 2014.

1. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Because it is flat out bad.

There are times D-Mo has his defender completely sealed and ready to go to work and the team simply does not get the ball in. The same thing happens to Dwight.

The team will look to pass it in. They think about it. Then whoever is out on the perimeter will simply lose their patience and do one of the following things:

a) jack up a 3
    b) swing it around so another guy can jack up a 3
    c) waste so much time on the shot clock that a turnover occurs from a bad pass
    d) force it into the post after the other team has time to react which results in a turnover

It doesn't help that the team only has 2 good post entry passers, Harden and Papa. Even still, this is an issue that needs to be addressed. Overall our guys just need more patience passing the ball in.

Also, as we saw tons of times with Yao, the art of the re-post needs to be learned. I think D-Mo and Dwight are easily capable of this. It once again comes back to patience from our wings to effectively get our bigs post position.

2. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Papanikolaou is pretty good at it, he is also patient and will throw it back in for a repost.

3. basketballholic

It is pretty bad.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

this...

Our guards are just impatient.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I don't think it can be helped.. There is an art to the post entry pass. There is symbiosis that has to be achieved between Passer and Receiver.. That Window to get the pass to DMO/Dwight is so small you have to anticipate them being open..

The Passer is also required to know when to make the Hockey pass Which means SOMEONE ELSE has to also be in on the play and know what is going on. The moment DMO or Dwight gets fronted somoone should be running to the freethrow line for the high/low.. no one does it.

DMO or Dwight need to ask for tape and work with them so they know what to do.. It's amazing these athletes at the pinnacle of the sport don't even know how to dribble to get a better angle to pass! That **** is damn frustrating to watch.. It really isn't that hard.

6. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Lol, This Team has missed so many easy lobs to dwight already.

Dmo and Dwight often have their man sealed and Rockets look and pause or pumpfake it like they are afriad to pass the ball.

Harden Papa, and Terry some are the only ones who actively look in the Post.

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If we could have cloned Horry 20 years ago....

8. NotChandlerParsons

That, and they have no friggin clue what to do when a guy is fronted.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Or Battier from 5 years ago. :p

Another thing that surprises me is how bad Ariza is at it. For all the other things he is amazing at given his high basketball IQ, i'm not sure why he is not very good at a simple post pass.

To the team's credit, they're way better than last year at it. Because last year even James would become impatient and just not pass it to Dwight. Then Dwight would come set a pick for him as an after though, as you could tell that was not what he wanted from that play.

I'm glad at least that is not happening as much anymore. James actually willingly passes into the post now. I have hope the other guys will come around in time. But you can tell Dwight and D-Mo clearly do get somewhat dejected when the team simply ignores them.

You have to feed the big horses. Luckily they're all professionals and do not let this affect their demeanor too much. But still, post entry passing is going to be vital to this team being a contender and not a pretender.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Needed Papa in there, he is the best at that post entry pass on the team, along with DMo who was actually IN the post.

DD

11. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

That high low post entry pass is normally done by DMO.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

It is bad, but I will say a lot has to do with coaching. If you really made it a priority it would get done. If you made it this far you can coach a entry pass to professional basketball players.

13. platypus

platypus Member

That top of the key post pass is usually very risky to make. The problem is that DMO was taking too long to seal his man off and was then spinning toward the basket asking for the reverse entry pass.

That is a very risky pass because you have the help side defender who can jump that lane and get a steal. DMO needs to seal quickly and our guards need to initiate that pass immediately.

I think they are used to passing to dwight who is great at sealing his man off with his brute strength but they are impatient with DMO because he lacks that ability like dwight. I think the best way to post up DMO is to run him off a baseline brush screen and have him do a quick seal. The few times they've done this DMO has gotten great looks.

Also lets not forget that because DMO was the focal point without Howard or Harden and our top options his man could play really aggressive and leave the lane open without fear of harden flashing to the rim.

14. platypus

platypus Member

It is NOT coaching. The team has gotten MILES better at post entry passing to our MAIN horse dwight. It was very obvious watching that 4th that DMO was having problems sealing his man off properly.

As a guard that pass is simply too risky to make in such a tight game. Garcia tried it like an idiot and had a turnover.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

that pass is just too far to make from the perimeter. someone else has to flash and make a quick pass to him. Easy basketball, We just make it look hard.

16. platypus

platypus Member

Yeah i don't blame them when our starting PG is out, his back up is OUT, harden FOULED out, and our passing wing PAPA fouled out. But yeah that's coaching right?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is that we only have 2 guys who know how to make entry passes, one is Papanikolaou the other is DMo. Papa is currently hurt and DMo can't pass it to himself.

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

I disagree with this assessment. D-Mo had his man sealed, but the pass did not come early enough. They are used to passing to Dwight (btw I'm not sure if Dwight is even better at sealing his man than D-MO) who the guards also do the same thing to.

It's the pass that needs to be quicker. It is very hard for big men to seal their man and then keep that position for a few seconds. Once the defender is fully behind them, that pass has to be made right at that second.

I do agree with D-Mo setting a quick screen near the baseline and then immediately going into a post-up. But it's not as if he is bad at normally sealing his man either. And even if that's the case, it's irrelevant because the team also has a huge issue getting the ball into Dwight.

It's a positioning and passing issue by the wings/guards, not a sealing issue (as much) by the big men.

19. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

DMO did have issues gaining positioning all game, however I wasn't just referring to this game. This is an issue we have had for awhile and the main issue is being patient and actually WANTING to play inside out. We chuck up so many threes, I believe because of personnel. Now that Dmo gives us a true inside threat we need to take advantage of that and start taking higher percentage shots by giving him touches down low. Coaching comes in hand by making this a priority and create some sets off of it.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

without Harden's penetration its hard. I think we can make it work when our healthy squad is on the floor...the problem is we don't really look for Dmo too much.