1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett Out for season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets Pride, Nov 24, 2014.

1. Rockets Pride

Rockets Pride Member

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

That's all you have? :confused:

3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remember when we gave leinert a shot? He lasted like 2 series...yeah we're cursed.

4. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

To be fair, we didn't give Leinert a shot. He was the backup quarterback and Matt Schaub got injured. He was the only option.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

1. Do we resign him?
    2. If so . . . .for How much?
    3. If not . . . . Do we go with Savage and Fitzie?
    4. If not . . . . . Do we draft or what Back Up QB looks good right now? Or Starter that will be a free agent

Rocket River

6. solid

solid Contributing Member

We absolutely resign him; I think he has serious potential. I want to see a game sample at least as large as Keenum had. Obviously, he is going to be a pretty good financial deal. Now if he demands some unreasonable contract then that is another story.

7. Breaker

Breaker Member

We waited all season for Shtzpatrick to receive an injury that would knock him out for the season, yet Mallett end his season after pretty much one game?

Houston Texans is God's cruel joke to the world

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I say low end Starter or High Backup money
    No more. . . .maybe the Opportunity to lock up your QB of the future for reasonable money
    5 yr deal . . . .5 yrs with no Payton type money

Rocket River

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I wonder if they can get him to a 2-year $14MM dollar contract. With year 1 at $4MM (guaranteed) and a team option for year 2 at $10MM. Who says no to that type of contract? If he's really good, he's a free agent at 29 and could set himself up for a big payday. If not, we're out $4MM next year, with no long-term ramifications with respect to the cap.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would go for 5 yrs. . . .at the very least he'd be a good backup I think
    So if his contract is reasonable. . . .backup type money . . . .then why not

Rocket River

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Can anybody give me some quaterbacks who have had the same injury?

12. Major

Major Member

He's been waiting 4 years for the opportunity to start. He's not going to take a 5 yr deal that potentially locks him in as a career backup.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Low end starters/high end backups don't get 5 years.

In essence, you're giving him a contract based on one decent game. Seattle signed Matt Flynn on the basis of one game and gave him 3 years. I expect Mallett to get something similar.

It's the best case for everybody. Mallett isn't going to command a lot of money. With a 3 year deal, the Texans won't be locked into him too long if he fails (and/or they draft somebody better) and Mallett will have the opportunity to get a bigger, starter worthy contract in a few years if he succeeds.

#13 Cannonball, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  14. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Absolutely agree.
    He is a totally different proposition to Keenum.
    Obviously two games is not an ideal sample size but he has most of the qualities that should make a proto-typical passing QB. The only things he seems to be lacking somewhat are accuracy and touch.
    Put the accuracy down to that pec (he was 20 from 30 against Browns) and the touch can be coached.
    If one asks oneself what would a potential bust rookie have that Mallett doesn't and it helps bring things into perspective.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Sign Mallet, back loaded 4 year deal starting at low starter money escalating to mid starter money if he's the starter after next year, leave the option to move on after 2015/16

keep Savage under his rookie contract to see if he's a future starter

draft a top 10 rated qb in round 3, or 2 if you really like one (I'm a Petty fan)

go into camp with an open competition, let the cream rise

16. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Mallet signs in the off season, Fitz is gone. Mallet should only get a minimal contract. After he puts a full season in, he will have established his worth and then get paid accordingly.

If Mallet does not sign in the off season, Fitz is likely gone as well. Fitz makes too much to be a backup, which is what he will be next year.

17. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

No, he really doesn't. He's making under $4M which is less than Chase Daniel, Matt Hasselbeck, Kyle Orton, Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Matt Moore, and Chad Henne.

And if Mallett doesn't re-sign, who starts? A rookie? Still need a vet presence on the roster and I don't think you want Savage, a 2nd year player with no NFL experience and likely less college experience than anyone we'd draft, mentoring a rookie QB.

18. today

today Contributing Member

Worst scenario that I could have dreamed.... Mallet does just enough to show he has some talent, but we only get a limited look at him. Now in the off season they'll resign Mallett and we won't trade up to take the best QB available. In 2015 Mallett turns out to be an average QB ranking in the 18-22 range and we suck and waste another year of JJ's career.

This is frustrating... Why can't we just trade up in the draft and take our shot at the best QB available? If we are going to win a championship, we need a top 5 QB. Let's swing for the fences and take a risk!!!

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You know who should absolutely kick his tires? St. Louis. They are almost certainly going to dump Bradford (saving $13MM in the process) and they likely view themselves as a decent starting QB away from contention.

Buffalo is another possibility, if they don't view Orton as a longer-term fix (he's owed $7MM next year). And depending on how their QB situations play out, Tennessee and Washington might be in the mix.

And then there's the darkhorse wild card: Arizona. They owe Palmer $14MM next year. If he's healthy, I assume they'll bring him back. But they could save $7MM letting him go.

I don't think there will be a market for Mallett among QB-starved teams likely to draft early (Jets, Bucs).

So there will be a market for him, I'd think.

20. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Welcome to Houston sports Bill O'Brien!