1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Searching for Depth Answers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by markelliott1997, Nov 23, 2014.

1. markelliott1997

Hey fellow Rockets,
    Quick question regarding our depth, perticularly as it pretains to the Guard position. I seem to remeber waiving Ish Smith just prior to the season. I was wondering, why wouldn't a team looking to make a splash at the trade deadline not keep a player who, potentially, has some upside. And while we are on the subject of trade assets, I was curious as to why Nick Johnson does not play more. Admittingly, I know very little about the ins and outs of NBA practice and rotations, but I feel like players similar to Clint Capela, Nick Johnson, and Ish Smith add more value to a team than players such as Francisco Garcia, Joe Dorsey, and even Troy Daniels. Wouldn't increasing the minutes for the former increase trade value as well as give these players valueable experience incase one of them needed to step in and take over in a time of injury? Couldn't you potentially find a diamond in the rough, and wind up having that elusive 3rd star we have all been clamoring foor? Just wanted to get Red Nations' opinion on the matter.

SUCK IT PARSONS, SUCK IT LONG AND HARD

1 person likes this.
  2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Ish Smith is a career journeyman with absolutely no value to any team. He is someone you sign when you are down to your 2nd or 3rd String PG

And you don't play players like Cappella and Johnson because you are arguably a top 5 team in the NBA, your goal is to win games right now, not potential lose games by "developing projects," you leave that to the garbage teams of the league

3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Do what you can to sign Emeka Okafor once he recovers from his injury.

4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Jermaine Oneal is available too

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

We were over 30 points ahead of the Spurs before garbage time without its starting front 2, there's basically no way to have enough depth to cover the loss of both. Guard/wing wise, we're good for the most part.

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Repped for the final sentence

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ish Smith is crap.
    Hence he was waived.

I'm not sure guard depth is a major issue for us?
    From what I'm seeing, we have 2 NBA quality big men (Howard, Jones), and 2 particularly bad options for the backup C spot.
    What we really need is to upgrade that backup 4/5 spot - but it's unreasonable to expect an all-star for 'depth'.
    I'd be waiving Black, and signing one of: Jermaine O'Neal, Dante Cunningham, Aaron Gray or Bernard James.
    None of them spectacular (although O'Neal brings quite a lot to the table), but Gray and James are both 'large' bodies close to the hoop. I suppose the downside is that Black at least knows the system....

8. HTM

HTM Member

this, 1,000 times this

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need an answer for ball movement first. I know Harden is the epitome of moreyball but that is not the way to play the game. I feel like we have a good bench but just not properly coached.

10. photojoe

photojoe Member

Okafor would be perfect.

If he can completely recover from his neck injury. And get back into game shape.

11. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Okafor or Jermaine O'Neal could be nice for the backup center spot.