1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Is Harden clearly THE man of this team?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Nov 22, 2014.

?

Is he?

Poll closed Nov 29, 2014.
  1. Yes

154 vote(s)
    79.4%
  2. No, it's Howard

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Neither, it's someone else

2 vote(s)
    1.0%
  4. I can't tell yet.

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. Who cares!? We just beat the Mavs!!

28 vote(s)
    14.4%
  1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure how much, if any, doubt there was about this before...But Harden has clearly established himself as the number one guy/leader/face of the franchise.

Coming into the season, it was Howard who said all the right things and I think many expected him to charge ahead, much like he did in the playoffs. Although he missed some preseason and missed the last two games, I can't say he brought that attitude during the time in between. Harden has had his shooting issues, but hes looked mentally locked in to me, since day one. I can't see that changing going forward.

2. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, he is. That was the problem last season: Parsons and Lin needed their star time, but that made the team a three-headed dog. Howard's got his rightful place now too.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I wish he would buy into the offense... stop holding the ball for 21 seconds.. with that said, he is def the man now that he is playing the D.

4. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Good offense beats good defense everytime so yes Harden is the man of this team

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That was never a problem last year. Revisionist history.

6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that's the extent of the offensive game plan by Mchale.

7. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

for now yeah, he was the man last regular season. but remember dwight stepped up in the playoffs. harden still go this points but couldnt shoot for ****

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I was with you until this Dallas game. The offense had an actual flow even expanding the lead when Harden was on the bench. The ball didn't stop moving because they knew without Harden no one was going to break anyone off the dribble. It actually looked like they were running sets... Harden comes in and it's 2 screens at the top of the key and straight into ISO mode. I'm convinced now it's Harden who is abandoning Mchale's offense.. I know crazy..

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

agree with this. i almost don't even want to so anything that would give revisionists a forum

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

games like tonight, absolutely. That rebound over TC was crazy, dude led by example. I just hope he doesn't Lin us and fall back.

11. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes it was a problem. True history.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Hardens always been the "MAN" on the team. He was the "MAN" last year.

Hardens problem is translating that to playoff success

13. WALAWALA

WALAWALA Rookie

When it comes to the 4th quarter and playoff, Howard is more reliable. That is the man.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We have no playmaker outside of Harden, and we have no rim protector outside of Dwight, so both are equally important, IMO, but it's Harden's team for sure. He single-handedly made the Rockets relevant again.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

what all the missed free throws in the 4th quarter of the playoffs?. no correction *missed free throws in every 4th quarter of every game. Dwight needs to stop trying to post up. Its just not his game. He needs to just rebound and run pick n rolls.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Do it in the playoffs.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He certainly is. Dwight could be, but he doesn't bring it day in and day out during the regular season. Harden has single handedly won us three games already this season in addition to the countless games he won for us the past two seasons. He will probably (hopefully) still be a Rockets after Dwight leaves/retires.

Although I will say in the playoffs, Dwight becomes a more important player for us. We have to have an inside presence.

18. HRox832

HRox832 Member

Oh without a doubt. I mean, Howard is fantastic, but Harden is just on another level this year. He improved his defense, his leadership looks better, and he's putting up huge numbers. Once he find his jumper again, we'll be even better. Oh, and I can't forget the clutch part. Harden has been huge in the clutch (except for when we faced the Lakers). Still shocking to me how the guy is only 25 years old. He's not even in his prime yet.

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

There is no question, he is the Man of this team. No question.

Past years, it seemed like he wanted the praise of being the man but did not want the responsibility. All those times when he had bad games and would refuse to talk to the media. Or when he would get really defensive when someone criticized him. And he would rarely talk about his teammates unless specifically asked.

But this year, you can see the maturity. He admits to his mistakes, praises his teammates and takes both sides of the court seriously. It's been a real treat watching him mature in front of our eyes.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member