1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VIDEO] Donatas Motiejunas vs GSW (16pts, 8rebs)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Normalus, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Normalus

Normalus Member

[youtube]SxD2d-laxho[/youtube]

1 person likes this.
  2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I'm happy for him but efforts like today's should be almost expected not celebrated given his phisically make up

3. anthony1604

anthony1604 Member

this will be his only "good" game of the season...there wont be anymore and to me he still had a bad game...too many turnovers by him and not much effort on the defensive end

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Boy some of the D-mo hate has reached Lin levels. Even when he plays great people complain.

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

DMo has had plenty of good games before. He just always follows them up with duds, and here's hoping that changes, but I'm not counting on it.

6. HTM

HTM Member

Good on Dmo but he isn't a rookie anymore and now thats he's 3 years into the league we should expect to see some consistency

7. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

Good game.......

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I wonder if they are not working with DMo enough...They should be investing in him as much as they are with Howard. He should be a knock down shooter by now and it doesn't seem like the game is slowing down for him.....get the guy his own trainer, send him out for evaluation, shooting coach, everything...

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Thrilled to see him show up on the big stage. I found it interesting that J.B. Bickerstaff specifically mentioned DMo's confidence issues during the halftime interview. Dude absolutely needs a defined role to succeed.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This is just a Demo display. Do not buy it guys.

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He's still playing small, almost like an SF.

He still can't win the rebounding battle or go off strongly for those putbacks. He makes those post-spin moves, but almost always shoots fading away.

Longterm he is not the 4/5 that we need.

12. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Really? I was actually pretty impressed with his quick rotations, he did a really good job of keeping his arms straight up and being where he needed to be. He was even making an effort to hedge on high-post hand-offs. How did we watch the same game and see things so differently?

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with this notion. We are in dire need of another big man. Even with Terence Jones back or even Dwight, our main guys are playing way too heavy minutes this early in the season and it is definitely taking its toll . I have backed Dmo up for almost his entire tenure here but after his third year playing on this team I would have figured that he would be a little more far along basket ball IQ wise. I don't think skill is his problem. He has a soft touch and he is definitely large enough to bang in the post with the big boys. It's the speed of his reactions that concern me. I can't tell if he over thinks or just has a hard time thinking. It could be too much drugs or not enough drugs but the guy seems a drool and a safety helmet away from being Lurch with down syndrome.
    Chuck Hayes never had the skill set nor height that Dmo had. He did however have a brain that seemed to work at double the speed of DMo and hustle to make him just a heck of a rotation player even when standing amongst 7 footers. I hope Capela can develop faster or we somehow muster a trade because we need someone now rather than later.

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's got a nice drop step, and plays better w/ his back to the basket than Dwight.

15. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Bigs typically take longer to develop. I wouldn't call it quits on D-Mo yet, especially not when he has improved his intangibles as much as he has--defensive rotations, setting tons of good screens, size. Considering these significant improvements, and the fact it's extremely rare for a 7 footer to possess the combination of skills and has, I wouldn't mind re-signing him for a few more years. I mean, look around the league, how many teams have a back-up 4/5 that you can strongly argue is an above average player? Spurs have been getting by with the likes of Matt Bonner and DeJuan Blair. Just this off-season they picked put Austin Daye. Donatas is not that bad compared to these guys..

Give it more time, he's already looking pretty solid and he's actually getting better despite what the stats say.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

We don't know how much they are investing in Dmo compared to Howard. We don't know.

You say he should be a knock down shooter by now, but sometimes it's impossible to make someone into something they are not. For example, Howard should be able to make free throws by now, but he still sucks. Howard has been practicing free throws his entire career and he is just bad.

I don't get the feeling that the Rockets have been ignoring Dmo and his development.

17. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

DMo did his job last night. At the end of the 4th Harden killed us. The game is on Harden and Dwight in my opinion. I don't know if people expect more from Ariza and Papanikolaou but I don't. Harden made so many turnovers late in the game and Dwight just didn't play in a game where two teams were undefeated. Those 2 things killed us.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Well, when Harden and Howard have been carrying the team in those first 6 wins, you kinda need to excuse him when he has a bad game.

When they get the opportunity though, you want bench players to show up to see who are ready for the next step. Tonight that was Canaan and to some extent, DMo.

I still want DMo though to make his mark on a game. Kinda like TJones did to win the starting job. Pick up garbage points, make hustle plays, play good defense etc. I want DMo to assert himself.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

DMo averages 1 turnover per game in 19.3 minutes. And DMo puts in great work on the defensive end. His rotations are almost always spot on, and he closes out incredibly quickly for a seven footer. However, his offensive performance needs much improvement.

20. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Screwing around, looking at what statistical analyses are available on the web I came across this gem from NBA.com. This is an analysis of D-Mos defense. The last comumn is the most important. It is the calculation of how every shot against D-Mo this season compares to the offensive player against all other defenders. Negative values are very very good in this column.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.