1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard's FT shooting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Oct 29, 2014.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Yes it's been discussed to death, but I was very impressed when he calmly knocked down the 2 FTs with nobody around. He didn't do his normal routine, which takes about an hour and when you know you're overthinking just make it shorter..you would think ;) anyways, he seemed real calm and I wish he could just do that when people are around him. So is it that, the fact there are more 'distractions' are something? Most basketball players will tell you that a FT with nobody around is a lot harder than a normal FT. Glad Howard can at least knock those down :grin:

2. Malcolm

Malcolm Member

He was shooting about 63% during the playoffs last year so it means Calvin Need to get back on it with him

3. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

So why create another thread?

4. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

He's got a SOFT touch now.lol

5. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Just bank them in.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I really wish we had bills commentary for that, would have been priceless instead of the crap espn gave us

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Was really disappointed in his free throw shooting last night. He needs to improve.

8. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

I like OP's observation. My opinion is that I think Howard is psycologically dependent on other people's approval to be successfull. He feeds off people and criticism too much, at least at this stage of his life. Maybe when his contemporates are not looking, he may feel more at ease. There were more eyes looking at him criticizing him booing him even before those freethrows but still drained them without anyone at the line.

9. Rockets25

Rockets25 Member

I still can't believe he made those 2 technical free throws. Kobe then missing 1 of 2 made it even better.

10. JazzLakerHater

Dwight is in his 11th season. At some point in time people just need to understand he is not a good free throw shooter and he never will be.

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's just not focused half the time he gets to the line. Either that or he's overthinking it. I definitely think it's more about focus though. Last night's game was a rout so it really didn't look like Dwight (or most of the team for that matter) really tried.

12. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

His FT shooting was awful last night. His release form looks great but he didn't use his legs at all..

13. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

i think his problem is that sometimes his form seems to deviate. I dont know how many FTs he practices during the year, but perhaps he needs to go at it a bit more until muscle memory clicks in

14. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

he was 7 of 16 so tonight he will probably go 9 for 16... he always averages out to 50% so why even talk about it?

15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

lmfao wtf have you ever watched him play before? He is who he is from behind the FT line... all he has to do is make 55% and he is golden

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I wish Dwight would just go GRANNY style. It would fit his personality of being off the wall. And realistically, it would make him use his lower half more.

Dwight is so bulky, that a jumper is almost out of the question in terms of being effective.

17. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

It pains me to see him go up there and continue to never use his legs or bend his knees.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Exactly. And it's a huge handicap for the Rockets.

19. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

It sounds dumb, but maybe he should be practicing with people at the line. It seemed like he was really comfortable shooting those free throws with no one there with him, and that's probably how it is when he's practicing. Maybe he should try to simulate game situations more since it seems like this is all in his head.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

there really isn't any reason to be discussing this still. he is who he is at the FT line at this point. hopefully in the clutch hell be able to knock em down.