1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Astros to explore changing Tal’s Hill

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Oct 27, 2014.

?

Do you like Tal's Hill (and the flagpole)?

Poll closed Aug 23, 2015.
  1. Yes

68 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. Don't care either way.

21 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Astros to explore changing Tal’s Hill down the road

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Nice! Good to hear.

3. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

This regime has changed more than enough. I wish they would just stop.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I like the hill. They could change the name of it though. Tal Smith... blecht.

1 person likes this.
  5. msn

msn Member

Tal Smith, if I remember correctly, was a big part of the Astros' unlikely resurgence in the late 70s and in 1980. He won Executive of the Year after the 1980 season and was fired days later. I know he was around way longer than he needed to be, and his influence was awful in this century, but dude was a huge part of Astros' history from over 30 years ago. I don't have a problem with anything being named after him.

At least it's not "Spec's Hill".

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't like the hill, personally.

7. msn

msn Member

I'm probably a minority on this, but I love the hill and the flagpole. Probably because I grew up reading accounts and looking at pictures of great ballparks that no longer exist, and the hill and flagpole are some kind of romantic nod to great ballparks of an era gone by when baseball really was "America's pastime".

I can understand why others don't dig it, but I do. :cool:

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Same here. I think it's a great distinctive feature.

9. Granville

Granville Member

I heard that they are going to tear down the hill and put the mechanical bull from Gilleys in it's place.

With the revenue generated from naming rights for the bull, personal saddle licenses, ride fees and from the advertising on the safety helmets and vests the riders have to rent, we can certainly count on a free agent to be named wayyyyy later.

10. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, if there's one thing that park needs, Reid, its more cabooses on that god-awful train.

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i like the hill and the flagpole because they have provided some of my more clear baseball memories... from Michael Bourn making amazing plays on the hill to Richie Sexson pinging one off of the pole. it keeps us original, leave it!

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Agree with those who want to keep it.

13. ths balla

ths balla Member

I have no problem with it but it is so far away that is almost useless. I wouldn't mind at all if the actually moved it in a little closer.

14. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

WOW....crazy to think it's been nearly 15 years since the ball park was opened.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hate it. HATE it. Oh, and by the way... hate it. Why not make a gosh darn pee wee golf course set of obstacles out there while they are at it.

16. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm okay with change. But I still think they should turn the train into greezed lightnin.

1 person likes this.
  17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

It has reached its half life. They wouldn't need to replace it for another 15 years.

18. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Very interesting responses. When I went to FanFest last year and when Reid Ryan was speaking, he said they were exploring what to do with Tal's Hill. I was surprised when he said that when they polled the fans, it was almost right down the middle 50/50 for those who liked it and those who didn't. It looks like this board is divided about the same. I don't necessarily dislike it, but I do think that real estate could be used much more efficiently (seems to me a great revenue-generating area).

19. Nook

Nook Member

It is in exceptionally good shape and could easily last another 30-40 year with limited improvements.

I have been blessed to have been to almost every other ballpark and MMP is in the top 15%, it has really aged well.

The only ball parks that are clearly better IMO are AT&T in San Francisco, Wrigley and Camden.

There are a lot of other nice parks... Dodgers stadium and Kauffman stadium both are very nice, even without the antiquated charm.

Also, anyone that goes to Chicago and has the time should take the time to see a White Sox game. The stadium is actually very nice.

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I love watching 400 foot homers to dead centerfield. Those are flyballs here.

I say raise and widen the hill. Allow fans access to sit there. Put the CF fence in front of it at about 400' with an 8-10 foot wall. The flagpole can stay as well but be behind the wall. They can keep it "Tal's Hill", and charge a decent price to sit there.