1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

One trick pony

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Oct 21, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Agree or disagree: players who are not great defenders, but pure shooters like Dell Curry, Abdul-Rauf, Troy Daniels perhaps cannot and should not get minutes?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Steph Curry is the epitome of pure shooter than doesn't play defense and he's considered a star right now... and don't forget Harden; although Harden can play good defense in spurts.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

as a coach, mchale is a no trick jackass

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

So a zero trick donkey. :p

5. NotChandlerParsons

Why not? As long as they're good enough at what they do to make it a difference. I wouldn't mind Troy Daniels getting 10-15 mpg, would rather him play than Garcia.

6. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

How can you not love this guy?

7. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

close this thread

8. jk103

jk103 Member

If we had someone on the roster that could create open shots for him besides Harden I think he'd be much more valuable.

9. Omer

Omer Member

Stephen Curry has handles and can also run the offense and set up others to score, Troy Daniels hasn't shown he can.

10. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Or a coach that makes plays for him?

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

And what's wrong with that? Not everyone on the floor needs to be a ballhandler.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

I don't get why he's not in the rotation with Harden/Howard. If Howard gets doubled teamed, dish it out...same with James...

jeez. i don't care that it's preseason..what's worrisome is that the coach can't get it right with any of the players...

13. valorita

valorita Member

agreed. one trick pony is better than the no-trick ponies like the other backups.
    especially if that trick is BUCKETS!!!

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wish I could negative rep.

15. clos4life

clos4life Member

As usual, McFail continues to find ways to not help his players succeed. I mean, how hard is it to make Harden/Howard led offense look good?

What Troy Daniels needs is help with more screens and other similar plays to open him up for 3s where the defender is not covering him. If the other team is committed to leaving a player glued to him we have to find a penetrator that's going to make them pay for doing so.

If we only had a competent coach...sigh...

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I disagree; one trick ponies should get minutes as long as the situation calls for it. One trick ponies are also not always terrible at D, it just happens to not be a strong suite. In the case of shooters who absolutely suck at D, they should only be playing when their shot is hot and/or when someone with great D can compensate for them on the other end.

Steph Curry is not a one trick pony though. He has handles and court vision. AB for instance, is a one trick pony.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If you have players who demand double teams, they should definitely get minutes, but how many is definitely up for debate.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Steve Novak, Matt Bullard, Troy Daniels. All good shooters, but minutes limited for good reason.

I expect Daniels to get minutes. He got minutes tonight.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Daniel will get minutes due to the pressure he puts on opposing D's . He can stand a yard behind the 3 point line and teams have to be aware . He improves spacing and if he constantly runs around he is gonna wear out whoever is trying to guard him .

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Daniels actually tried on D, Wade is an all star caliber player (some nights) can't blame Daniels for not shutting him down in the last minutes of a preseason game with our bench on the floor facing Miami's starting line up.