1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Any trades up Morey's sleeve prior to 5 pm on 10/27?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rogower, Oct 18, 2014.

?

W.W.M.D.? [What will Morey do?]

Poll closed Oct 27, 2014.
  1. Trade Jason Terry's expiring contract for a larger expiring contract (e.g., Marcus Thornton)

13.2%
  2. Trade Terry + draft picks for Ricky Rubio

22.4%
  3. Trade Donatas Motiejunas for a draft pick

11.8%
  4. Trade Isaiah Canaan for a draft pick

26.3%
  5. Trade both Motiejunas and Canaan for draft picks

15.8%
  6. Other (please explain)

34.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rogower

rogower Member

Final 15-man rosters are due on Mon 10/27 at 5:00 p.m. Just wondering what folks think Morey will do here. I expect Donatas Motiejunas and/or Isaiah Canaan to get traded for second round picks, and possibly a Jason Terry-for-Marcus Thornton swap.

Don't forget that James Harden was acquired in late October a couple of years ago.

2. bmd

bmd Member

Nobody will predict what Morey will do.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

There is a decent chance a trade happens, but I wouldn't presume to know what or who is involved.

4. bucket

bucket Member

IMO, those would be awful trades. Second rounders are nice, but they rarely turn into rotation players. You're much more likely to get a meaningful contribution from Motiejunas or Canaan. Plus, the Rockets have two superstars right now. They need to focus on building depth around Harden and Howard, and they especially need to not demoralize the stars by trading valuable young players for marginal future assets.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It seems like alot of teams right now are active to try and move players that aren't currently going to make the roster, or they need to move in order to make room for other players (see the Mavs trying to move Mikel to make room for Charlie V.)

Right now, I could maybe see Morey doing something similar to make room for T. Black, but I think more than likely he's just going to have to either risk a team picking up Black (the Rockets still own his D-League rights if waived), or he's going to have to sacrifice someone like Jeff Adrien or Garcia to keep him.

A small deal like that is all I see them working on right now as priority #1 if it is a priority.

The Only reason the Harden trade happened when it did was that it corresponded with the deadline to extend his rookie contract. Rookie contract extensions are fairly minimal now, and the only rookie contract player really at odds with his team is Rubio, and we've been down this road for months now. IMO it doesn't really make sense for Minnesota to either trade him or extend him. If I'm Flip Saunders I let the chips fall where they may next Summer in RFA & see how good he can be this year with their young core.

I think mid to late December is when trades will start to get more active. Teams don't really have incentive now to move GOOD players. Its more about rounding out their 15 man rosters right now.

Its probably more interesting to look at other teams right now to get an idea of some moves that would make financial and basketball sense for some teams.

For example: The Raptors are about 5 million over the luxury tax, have to waive 2 players to get to 15 players, & have large expiring with Landry Fields at 8.5 mil and Amir Johnson at 7 mil expiring. (similar situation with the Celtics and Thornton). Would they move an asset to get under the luxury tax?

Just look around the league and think as their GM as to what decisions would make sense financially and on the court, and then think of how Morey could take advantage of that situation. That's the type of thing you have to look for right now. Later in the season is when you can actually get good players when teams struggle and realize they need to change directions. Right now deals being made are going to be about rounding out their rosters or they are about Dollars and Cents.

#5 dobro1229, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  6. rogower

rogower Member

I disagree. You want to play your best players. You want to develop your young guys in the developmental league. You do not want to play Motiejunas ahead of Jeff Adrien and Joey Dorsey if Adrien and/or Dorsey are better players. And you do not want Motiejunas to rot at the end of your bench. Same deal with Canaan, you do not play him ahead of Ishmael Smith if Smith is the better player.

Do not forget that second round picks obtained for Motiejunas and Canaan can be added to the package of draft picks, prospects, and expiring contract that Morey will be offering in February. Morey expects to eventually acquire a good veteran player for this package, and Morey knows that Motiejunas and Canaan are easily replaced.

7. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think second round picks have much value at all. They are almost worthless.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Probably dumping DMo and/or Jones for a 2nd round pick to make room for Adrien, Black and Dorsey. #Flexibility.

9. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

[​IMG]
    Dmo/Jones for a second rounder ? -_-, rather trade Canaan away.

10. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Why would we dump the 1 or 2 superior players for the inferior players.

Please for the love of god, do not tell me either one of those three are better than Jones or D-Mo.

I'm not huge on Tjones, I'm higher on Dmo here than most. I think he has a rare skill-set, has size, and can definitely be a rotational player on a high-level NBA team. I just think his skills are underutilized here, and his leash is super short with Mr. Bonehead McHale.

11. wise_man

wise_man Member

I would like to see Capella, cannan/ d-mo and a second rounder for al horford. Or do the same thing for rondo with our first pick next year.

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

Other--no trades. Just cuts. Trades this time of year are rare.

13. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

no more trading for draft picks
    we are in win now mode
    trade the youngsters for proven vets

14. Carl Herrera

For the same reasons why we dumped Juwan Howard and Stromile Swift to make room for Chuck Hayes.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Or Harden for Love

16. Carl Herrera

No. We are in "flexibility now" mode.

Morey traded Asik for a draft pick just this summer. He also let Parsons leave and actually spent a draft pick to get rid of Lin and his salary. All this so he could chase first Chris Bosh and then, after that failed, so he could preserve future cap room to chase whoever in summer 2015.

And then he signed nothing but rookies and minimum wage guys. Morey doesn't think that Harden and Howard can win it all without getting that pie in the sky "third star."

The only kind of "win now" move Morey will make right now would be an unlikely one where a "third star" (Rondo?) comes on the trade market and his team would accept a grab bag of assets.

17. haydenfisher342

Tjones and / or Mote wont be in a rockets uni next year.

Tjones is going to get payed ( see Morris twins ) Tjones if hes had alot of trade inquires I see Houston trying to keep him, just to trade him anyway. I dont see him part of the Rockets future.

Dmo, im on the fence on this one. I see a team paying for his services but I stand strong on "A" team. I see Dmo getting traded for a second round pick because houston doesnt want late first rounders ( to expensive. )

We have more of an important decision here than we did with Chandler parsons

Pat Bev, is going to get payed. I dont see Houston matching for him in fact I see houston trading bev before the deadline.

Keeping Bev, Tjones, and Mote only push us further away from getting a third star. If we somehow get a 3rd star through some chump change and some picks then im sure houston will keep 1 of the 3 on board. Maybe just maybe 2/3.

18. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Two years ago, Harden and Howard were pie in the sky.

19. Carl Herrera

So was a playoff series win.

20. bmd

bmd Member

And then Raymond Felton ate the pies.